My Bafang Ultra Mountain Bike! Frey AM1000

Nice. Please share the screenshot and explanation. You can save the file and mail it. Please.

Here's what programming the Ultra looks like. I plan to make a more detailed video once I have a better understanding of the parameters.

https://youtu.be/kWCR3iV3d9I

I was just told that my Ultra from Frey has the steel gear! I am so happy!

Attachments

• HTB1BZ8filDH8KJjy1zeq6xjepXaF.jpg
    HTB1BZ8filDH8KJjy1zeq6xjepXaF.jpg
    174.1 KB · Views: 5,899
robocam said:
I was just told that my Ultra from Frey has the steel gear! I am so happy!

Wow, really great news on that. I am still waiting for mine since I had my bike months ago. It should be very robust and durable and good for many years. Did you notice the noise it make or pretty silent compares to Nylon gear?

1. A important question, in Finland (Europe) is there a legal speed limit of 25km/hr with 250 watts engine? The other question, does your 2. Newest Ultra Drive came with "Steel Drive Gear" instead of Nylon plastic, did yours came with that steel materiel?

1. Yes, same with 1 kilowatt. With this you also need traffic insurance (about 100e/year)
2. Yep, steel gear.

Yes, I'm glad you made me look into it further! Which bike did you get? The Ultra on my Frey is very quiet. I never suspected anything. I will make a comparison video with the BBSHD someday. It's much quieter than the Yamaha drive on the Giant Full E, which is pretty quiet already.

hoojsn said:
Wow, really great news on that. I am still waiting for mine since I had my bike months ago. It should be very robust and durable and good for many years. Did you notice the noise it make or pretty silent compares to Nylon gear?

Wow, really great news on the programming! I have to also ask the program, that and maybe 5 cm off the handlebar and i´ll be a happy man.. for the next 10 minutes :lol:

I think this motor is much louder than BBSHD, it just feels most of the sound is coming from some sort of resonation. Maybe the frame is resonating much more than my old?

I really like the ECO mode, makes me work much harder. Last couple of days it´s been snowing like crazy and i´ve been having a blast going through forests, today i found the first place where i couldn´t get through and i had to walk one steep hill up. This was in maybe 40-50 cm of snow, rear derailleur was under snow most of the time and i had to use second biggest gear just to keep going. Just crazy fun!

What is the amp default limit set to in the config tool?
An earlier screenshot shows 18A which means 18Ax48V=865 watts (way below 1000W rating). This motor should take at least 1500 Watts, or 30Ax48V = 1440 Watts. Has anyone tried to change the amp default to 30A to see if it makes a difference?

I don´t know how the Luna ludicrous gets 2.500 Watts with this motor. They use 52V battery, so 2.500W/52V = 48Amps. but probably they do something else than change the Amp limit to 48A to get the 2.500W output. And can the battery/controller sustain this output.... Does anyone know the battery pack amp limit.

robocam said:
Yes, I'm glad you made me look into it further! Which bike did you get? The Ultra on my Frey is very quiet. I never suspected anything. I will make a comparison video with the BBSHD someday. It's much quieter than the Yamaha drive on the Giant Full E, which is pretty quiet already.

hoojsn said:

I didn't buy from Frey, I get from another manufacturer in China. Ultra in Hard tail and they will send me the Steel Gear soon. I will not replace it and keep it as spare. The bike came with Maxxis Tyre 2.3' however I replaced it with Schwalbe Super MotoX 2.4". I enclosed the photo to share and hope you doesn't mind.

Attachments

• IMG-20170913-WA0006.jpg
    IMG-20170913-WA0006.jpg
    111.2 KB · Views: 4,672
  • IMG-20170913-WA0007.jpg
    IMG-20170913-WA0007.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 4,672
That's a nice looking bike also, wouldn't mind driving that to work and paths also! This is my first full suspension bike and still learning how to use it effectively at forest but damn good learning tool :)

Mine came set at 30A, the maximum it will allow.

I heard there was an article by Karl that explained how to increase the power, but he was asked to take it down.
icehunter said:
What is the amp default limit set to in the config tool?
An earlier screenshot shows 18A which means 18Ax48V=865 watts (way below 1000W rating). This motor should take at least 1500 Watts, or 30Ax48V = 1440 Watts. Has anyone tried to change the amp default to 30A to see if it makes a difference?

I don´t know how the Luna ludicrous gets 2.500 Watts with this motor. They use 52V battery, so 2.500W/52V = 48Amps. but probably they do something else than change the Amp limit to 48A to get the 2.500W output. And can the battery/controller sustain this output.... Does anyone know the battery pack amp limit.

No, I don't mind =) Good looking bike! I wonder if the same manufacturer makes the frame. The front triangle looks very similar.

hoojsn said:
I didn't buy from Frey, I get from another manufacturer in China. Ultra in Hard tail and they will send me the Steel Gear soon. I will not replace it and keep it as spare. The bike came with Maxxis Tyre 2.3' however I replaced it with Schwalbe Super MotoX 2.4". I enclosed the photo to share and hope you doesn't mind.

Is it too fast even in the largest rear cog? I find the walk speed easy to follow in the 46T sprocket. How big is your largest rear sprocket?

hoojsn said:
...I don't like the walk mode, it was too fast.

robocam said:
Is it too fast even in the largest rear cog? I find the walk speed easy to follow in the 46T sprocket. How big is your largest rear sprocket?

hoojsn said:
...I don't like the walk mode, it was too fast.

My bike was using the SRAM EX1 System except for the Chain Ring and the Crank. Chain Ring 44T and crank was provide by Bafang. Cog size 11-48T 8 speed system.

Below is my Bike configuration.
Motor: Bafang Ultra MM G510.1000  (5.3kg)
Battery: 48V 17ah (Panasonic) Brought an Extra BatterY
Brake: Magura MT5E 4 piston. Disc 203mm F/R
Display: DP C18.UART
Throttle: Start with PAS 0 or Dead Stop
Bike Frame: 6061 Aluminum Alloy (Smooth Welding)
Tyre: Stock Maxxis (Change to Schawalbe Super Moto X 2.4"
Rim: Alloy Alluminum Double Wall
Front Fork: RST Air magnesium suspention fork F1RST 27.5-15
Spoke: 27.5" with 36 13 Gauge stainless steel
Nipple: Brass
Barrel Shaft: Red (I change the front to QR available in Black)
F/R Hub: Novatec Anodised Red Colour
Seat Post: Promax Suspension Seat Post
Saddle: Soft Comfortable Velo (I change to DHT Saddle which was very comfortable)
Sensor: Derailleur Gear Sensors (Install in the front with Magura Brake. Power cut off when shifting
gear.
Derailleur Guard: protect the gear from knocking.
Lock: Horse Shoe Lock (Taken off for 2.4" tyre)
Kick Stand: Stock Stand
Fender: Plastic F/R (Not that effective, water still splashing. But better than none)
Rear Rack: Black Matt.
Light System: Wiring for F/R Light (Integerated in Controller to use Main Battery Power)
Pedal: Wellgo magnesium
Head Stem: Promax Adjustable head stem.
PAS: 0- 5
Speed Limit: No (Remove from Factory)
System: SRAM EX1 8 speed system 11-48T (except Chain Ring and Crank)

Reason: I didn't consider the Dual Suspension System: Additional weight, and more maintenance require.
Hardtail is a speed demon and could add a nice Rear Rack. Plus save US$200.

I had another FLX G1 ebike using Bofeili Mid Engine. 36V 250 watts Peak 650 watts 13ah battery.

Another Manual Full Suspension Down Hill Bike by Peugeot 26"

Once on this Bafang Ultra, I never look back..

Hey guys, looking to order one of these bikes and was reading everyone's posts.

Anyone wishing to change the front chain ring and use a BCD 130mm 5 hole. You can get them down to 38 tooth and should give you more climbing ability off road.

Here is a 40 tooth so that you understand what I'm talking about, will fit on the Ultra Bafang motors and give you a much slower speed climbing ability to get up steep stuff.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/272677242881

icehunter said:

Luna says that their Ultra is a special model made exclusively for them.
So it could be an upgraded model made to sustain more power, or just a reprogrammed standard one :)

Drop Dead Fred said:
Hey guys, looking to order one of these bikes and was reading everyone's posts.

Anyone wishing to change the front chain ring and use a BCD 130mm 5 hole. You can get them down to 38 tooth and should give you more climbing ability off road.

Here is a 40 tooth so that you understand what I'm talking about, will fit on the Ultra Bafang motors and give you a much slower speed climbing ability to get up steep stuff.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/272677242881

Go and get an Sram EX1 System that specific for Ebike. It climb very steep hills. 11-48T.

I have OneUp 50T cogs on 3 of my bikes.

https://www.oneupcomponents.com/products/50t-shark-sprocket-18t-1x11

I decided to try the Shimano 11-46 this time to see if it is sufficient.

Did your bike come with the Sram EX1? Did it cost extra? If so, how much extra?

hoojsn said:
Go and get an Sram EX1 System that specific for Ebike. It climb very steep hills. 11-48T.

robocam said:

hoojsn said:

Actually, the bike package was a10 speed Deore groupset. But I request the manufacturer to upgrade it. Additional US$273 minus Wheel Chain & Crank that was from Bafang. I advise people not ro change the wheel chain, if you want a small type request to Bafang. Reason this wheel chain is the latest with narrow and wide teeth with Alloy 7071 that is harder than other 6061 material. Some maker doesn't has this special teeth to hold on the chain and minimize fallout.

Ex1 groupset are tough. Chain to Cog are specially harden to endure the abuse of an ebike especially a 1000 watts motor

How does the light switch that comes with the max ultra work? is it 6V or 48V?
Can you connect something like this directly to the switch?
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/High-Power-18W-super-bright-Motorcycle-Led-light-Fog-White-Headlight-Working-Light-12V-80V-HA10584/32529797128.html?spm=2114.13010608.0.104.X8whFD

I have a fancy 1000 lumens headlight with a 18650 battery on my helmet, but having to remember to charge the light is a pain, so if the bike already has battery it makes sense to use the bike battery, rather than having a separate battery pack, plus you can use that fancy switch ,)

icehunter said:
How does the light switch that comes with the max ultra work? is it 6V or 48V?
Can you connect something like this directly to the switch?
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/High-Power-18W-super-bright-Motorcycle-Led-light-Fog-White-Headlight-Working-Light-12V-80V-HA10584/32529797128.html?spm=2114.13010608.0.104.X8whFD

I have a fancy 1000 lumens headlight with a 18650 battery on my helmet, but having to remember to charge the light is a pain, so if the bike already has battery it makes sense to use the bike battery, rather than having a separate battery pack, plus you can use that fancy switch ,)

It is best to request your Ebike manufacturer to have a ready cable connected to the motor controller. Front 6V. Rear is less. I try a light 6V in front and no issue on it brightness. However, I tried using the same light power by the rear cable, the light is dim, only led shine, main bulbs didn't.

If you use the main battery USB outlet, you can used whatever Voltages you want, no issues on your light.

Wow, that's a really good price. Though if a new cassette was ever needed, it would cost over $300.

https://www.google.com/shopping/product/13161656542151243750

I have a Shimano M8000 XT 11-speed setup on my Cyclone 3000 bike, and luckily it hasn't given me any problems yet. I even use it for towing multiple trailers.

file.php

But I would definitely try that EX1 if I ever had issues with the Shimano system, or maybe I should go straight to a Rohloff =)

https://www.rohloff.de/en/

hoojsn said:
robocam said:

hoojsn said:

Actually, the bike package was a10 speed Deore groupset. But I request the manufacturer to upgrade it. Additional US$273 minus Wheel Chain & Crank that was from Bafang. I advise people not ro change the wheel chain, if you want a small type request to Bafang. Reason this wheel chain is the latest with narrow and wide teeth with Alloy 7071 that is harder than other 6061 material. Some maker doesn't has this special teeth to hold on the chain and minimize fallout.

Ex1 groupset are tough. Chain to Cog are specially harden to endure the abuse of an ebike especially a 1000 watts motor

robocam said:
or maybe I should go straight to a Rohloff =)
https://www.rohloff.de/en/

I have to agree that an IGH is the ultimate solution for an E-bike for best comfort, simplicity and low maintenance
The Rohloff is just so expensive...

Recently Nuvinci announced a New High Torque version of their N380, the N380X, but so far I have not seen anyone using it, and no way to test how it would support the Bafang Ultra. Spec wise the Ultra is over the spec of the N380X, but if not riding hard, it may be suitable.

Back