is there any way to fit a Grin Phaserunner inside a BBSHD?

Is there any update on this project? I think what you guys are trying to achieve is the wet dream of many people out there.

Cool to see this post re-surface and that people thinks it's a good idea.
To be honest, with two small diaper kids stealing all my time, I haven't been able to follow up on this idea.
I'm not even sure i would risk sacrificing two controller to see if this would work.
I'm enjoying the stock 52v BBSHD at the moment, but am amazed nobody talks about the biggest weakness of the bbshd, the internal gearing ratio. Even is assist mode 2, the motor pulls the bike past my cycling cadence, leaving me pedaling in thin air!
Anyways.. During this last year, with the introduction of the Sur-Ron, I'm left thinking, if you want more then 2000 watts of power, Light eMX is the way to go. At that price point, you cannot diy anything remotely close tho the Chinese.
Seeing how Luna struggles with matching 2500 watts of bafang ultra power (apex) to 250 watts of human power, I'm loosing faith it even can be done in a harmonious way (like the 250w bosh drive).
Maybe I'll just try the shunt mod and see if I can reach 40 amps and then keep my 14s5p shark pack which should be able to burst 40 amps for some seconds..
Going past this, I really think the sur-ron is the next sensible level, both economically and safety wise.

Irun my BBSHD at 60 amps 52V. You can change the PAS settings to reduce cadence to your liking. You can tune to the power and cadence you want in every level of PAS. The phaserunner would be interesting even at 52V. I would turn down amps to 45. And use field weakening to reduce back emf and increase rpms (speed). There becomes a point where heat can become an issue to the motor. But cant find any info from the people who have tried this already. An email from Grin suggests 15-20% without heat issue. 20% would be 6-8 mph. More could be gained for short bursts, so heat would not be the issue. And torque is carried further in the rpm band with field weakening.

When i hear and feel that the bbshd is running at a healthy rpm (50% ish), i cannot pedal along and contribute with power.
As the gear ratio between motor and pedals are fixed, I cannot see how changing the pas settings would help..
Am I missing something here?

One of the biggest drawbacks if one could fit the phaserunner in the bbshd, is that one would have to use the cycle analyst dashboard from 1984.
Bafang is starting to get the idea:
DP_C230_.png

DP_C240.png

Back