Sur-Ron - New Mid drive Bike

Aebrennan said:
I was told that they changed from air to spring, due to the spring version having less maintenence. Ask Hyena about this! :lol:
Yeah I'll be able to compare them back to back soon. I've had trouble with mine losing air pressure. At first I thought I was getting too adventurous when I started hitting the bash guard multiple times during a ride. Then I thought I'd got a flat front tyre when I went to roll over a log and got a harsh thud. It was then I checked and saw the tyre was fine but the fork was totally compressed and showed only around 1" of travel! Surron are replacing it so that's good.

redline2097 said:
Oh there is my kid is cooler than your one competition going on. :D
Cool! I bet your wife was out the night of that first clip. Not only is the kid up past his bed time but dad has taken him out to go dirt bike riding in the snow! :lol: I love that indoor arena! It'd be noisy AF with ICE bikes in there but it's perfect for electrics 8)

dirkdiggler said:
I took the Light bee down to Moab this past weekend.
Wow, if they don't even alloy pedal assist there someone's head is going to explode if they see you there on a surron.
I'm all for conservation in sensitive areas, but damn if you can't ride an ebike in a desert area like that where can you ?!

dirkdiggler said:
It really is weird to me that an environmental friendly activity such as ebiking has such blow back from the environmentalist mt. bikers. Especially after hearing all the noise from the side x sides, jeeps and dirt bikes down in Moab, you can hear those things for miles in the canyons. Why wouldn't they embrace an alternative like ebikes? My son said we should make stickers that say "e-bikes are bikes, they aren't e-motorcycles!" The whole thing in NYC has me baffled also. Why would they ban ebikes in Manhatten? Isn't that as anti-Trump a place as you get? They really are advocating that these delivery drivers start using polluting cars for their deliveries? It seems that the ebike community has no friends. Kind of how I felt while I was in Moab. I didn't fit with the gassers and didn't fit with the bikers. I still had a bigger smiler than both of them.

Something akin to a hybridization/evolutionary jump sort of jealousy, in part. E-bikes have the enviro-friendliness factor nearly in full: quiet and non-polluting (in immediate area). In some cases trail wear could be a bit greater as compared to a MTB, but not in all (fast flying, heavy DH bikes do their fair share). E-bike size and weight also legitimately offers such broad terrain access/suitability. All whilst having the benefit of motor power.

So you often see something of a purity-test reaction from those locked into the existing camps that aren't capable of straddling so many lines.

AMM118 said:
I agree there is not a good bike like a 65cc dirt bike size.

The Kuberg cross and Oset MX10 models are too small - same with the SSR SZR800W and its got poor performance out of the box.

how about a Braaap Silent :
[youtube]x8n1-tQjJJE[/youtube]
[youtube]9mAE1ZaUTnU[/youtube]

The Braaap Silent looks ok, and it would fit in most cars, but that's a 2000 watt hubmotor, which isn't even adequate for a serious child rider.

LeftieBiker said:
The Braaap Silent looks ok, and it would fit in most cars, but that's a 2000 watt hubmotor, which isn't even adequate for a serious child rider.

bike seems to get around the track pretty good with 150lb or less rider.. you could probably run higher amps through the motor with a controller upgrade, or maybe run one of Linukas liquid cooled motors..

The hub motors are not suitable for MX - weight. You want to have low unsprung weight on MX bikes so they handle / jump effectively. In MX the japanese MFGs and KTM really make excellent bikes. The KTMs are especially cutting edge right now like the Hondas in the late 80s. But for the electric MX market only the Alta is a true eMX bike and it is very $ and does not help a 5 year old kid. The Kuberg, Oset, etc all have their issues. The Sur Ron does not even come with a front fender. Anyone who has ridden MX could tell you why you have a front fender. KTM said they will make a kids electric MX bike in next few years - Yamaha too is likely.

CdwOJcYW8AEaBNt.jpg

Wow, is all that weight unsprung on the rear wheel...?

I had an XM-3000 hubmotor scooter for a few years. It was just powerful enough to be adequate on the road. With 1/3 less power it would have been kind of pathetic. They did in fact make a previous 2kw version of it, but it was superseded very quickly by the 3kw, then 3.5, then 4.0kw... Anyway, the Braap above wasn't shown doing anything on that track but a few shallow jumps. You can see the lack of acceleration. It might work as a trail bike on very gentle trails, but it's kind of obsolete tech.

AMM118 said:
The hub motors are not suitable for MX - weight. You want to have low unsprung weight on MX bikes so they handle / jump effectively. In MX the japanese MFGs and KTM really make excellent bikes. The KTMs are especially cutting edge right now like the Hondas in the late 80s. But for the electric MX market only the Alta is a true eMX bike and it is very $ and does not help a 5 year old kid. The Kuberg, Oset, etc all have their issues. The Sur Ron does not even come with a front fender. Anyone who has ridden MX could tell you why you have a front fender. KTM said they will make a kids electric MX bike in next few years - Yamaha too is likely.

CdwOJcYW8AEaBNt.jpg

yeah, KTM stops making their 50cc 2smoker in favor of electric:) while yamaha will start making a 65cc 2smoker..
25552051_10155210240623366_1404342095183216800_n.jpg

one could also get a Sur-ron for junior by running smaller diameter wheels for teens and shorter ppl.. with a 14, 16, or 17" rear wheel and 16 or 17" front wheel you could lower the light bee seat height by 1 to 3+ inches..

I haven't posted in a while but decided to show some pictures of front fenders for the Sur-ron bike. I got a 3d printer and decided to
make a 3d printed fender of one I made with Solidworks for a bike I was designing.2018-03-04 14.39.00.jpg
20180304_150104-1.jpg20180304_145114.jpg
I taped it with scotch tape to the bike and took a picture. I will design one just for the Sur-ron and make a mold.
20180304_145206-1.jpg
I have also played with a 2013 KTM 85 fender and a Polisport headlight. I think it is a bit much. Too heavy looking for my taste,
it doesn't fit the rest of the bike, but it is functional.

Attachments

• 20180304_151217.jpg
    20180304_151217.jpg
    246.4 KB · Views: 3,149
[/quote]

[/quote]

Braaap were involved in some really dodgy stuff - federal police caught up with them, so the brand is absolutely trashed, and all shops here were closed. Bikes were shit. I fixed a couple of them for the owners, and everything about it screamed backyard experiment. dodgy wiring, battery, controller etc. etc. Just no good.

motomoto said:
I haven't posted in a while but decided to show some pictures of front fenders for the Sur-ron bike. I got a 3d printer and decided to
make a 3d printed fender of one I made with Solidworks for a bike I was designing.2018-03-04 14.39.00.jpg
20180304_150104-1.jpg20180304_145114.jpg
I taped it with scotch tape to the bike and took a picture. I will design one just for the Sur-ron and make a mold.
20180304_145206-1.jpg
I have also played with a 2013 KTM 85 fender and a Polisport headlight. I think it is a bit much. Too heavy looking for my taste,
it doesn't fit the rest of the bike, but it is functional.

these headlight / fairing from denzel eastgem looks like it may be a pretty good fit ..

2017-06-05-boxon-blue-04.jpg

Willow said:

Braaap were involved in some really dodgy stuff - federal police caught up with them, so the brand is absolutely trashed, and all shops here were closed. Bikes were shit. I fixed a couple of them for the owners, and everything about it screamed backyard experiment. dodgy wiring, battery, controller etc. etc. Just no good.

thanks for the heads up, too bad:(

these headlight / fairing from denzel eastgem looks like it may be a pretty good fit ..

Looks awesome . I will check it out. I carbon fiber front fender would look great. I've studied doing CF but
it's a lot of careful work and more effort than I want to put in, but I'd buy one.

motomoto said:

Looks awesome . I will check it out. I carbon fiber front fender would look great. I've studied doing CF but
it's a lot of careful work and more effort than I want to put in, but I'd buy one.

Any closer to making a 53T sprocket from aluminum for the Sur-Ron?

Maybe. I need to finish some bafang sprockets and then the Sur-ron sprockets are next. Any reason you want a 53t ?

Here is a factory 58t. It is heavy in steel but good for wear.20180317_144027-1.jpg

Here is the 58T fitted to my bike that runs a Dunlop MX71 rear tyre.

I also have tried a UFO KTM85 front fender but it looks way too big.

Attachments

• 58T.jpg
    58T.jpg
    204.3 KB · Views: 3,024
  • Fender.jpg
    Fender.jpg
    203.4 KB · Views: 3,024
motomoto said:
Maybe. I need to finish some bafang sprockets and then the Sur-ron sprockets are next. Any reason you want a 53t ?

Here is a factory 58t. It is heavy in steel but good for wear.20180317_144027-1.jpg

I originally wanted 10T bigger, but the word on the street is the newest versions of the Sur-Ron have much better torque and acceleration, so I figured I would split the difference. That said, if a 58 is all that is available, I will go with that when mine arrives. BTW, your front fender looks great.

Aebrennan said:
Here is the 58T fitted to my bike that runs a Dunlop MX71 rear tyre.

I also have tried a UFO KTM85 front fender but it looks way too big.

How do you like it and how does it perform?

I fitted a mountain bike mudguard. left the rear half off as it fouled the controller and applied a touch of the hacksaw to get it up into the stem hole.
Off course as soon as i had it in place I decided it can go on the u brace above the tyre if I make a custom piece.

Sur ron Mud Guard.jpg

Rear view mirror and custom bracket. Just in case a cat should sneak up on me, not for riding on the road nah wouldn't do that.

Rear view.jpg

Hi All,

I’m new here and feeling super happy for getting a Light Bee and glad that the feedback is positive, just order mine, can wait for it to arrive.

Have you looked at this option as mudguard
product-fenders-mountain-defender-xc1-26in-29in-defender-xc1-26in-29in-b7e2c3c88874a4b3cfd62f7140996c5f.jpg

Looks pretty sick on similar e-motorbikes.

Any feedback on the 58T, will it wheel just from throttle? I’m planning to make an extra Battery pack to use similar to a “tank bag” from conventional motorbikes so I can go for longer rides, as soon as I get mine will start to share the idea, since I want to measure exactly the area, where to strap and also connector types.

Anyone try to increase voltage? Does the controller handle? So many questions...

Thanks for all the info that you have been sharing.

The controller has a few caps rated at 80V probably not going to be too happy with a voltage increase.

Attachments

• Controller open.jpg
    Controller open.jpg
    179.1 KB · Views: 2,883
  • Controller internals.jpg
    Controller internals.jpg
    175.5 KB · Views: 2,883
Aebrennan said:
The controller has a few caps rated at 80V probably not going to be too happy with a voltage increase.

Thank you, appreciate the picture, so i guess that eventually we could go to a 18S... although a small increase vs the 16S original, maybe not worth the trouble, probably better to just play with rear sprocket and wheel sizes and definitely increase capacity for longer range... dwelling with rebuild original battery for LG MH1 3500mah... $$$$ or else just another external battery pack 16S5P for additional range and cheaper option.

Need to put my head around so when i get the e-moto can take the right measurements for the extra pack.

Regards

Could you please take more pictures of the guts inside the controller?
But it looks like they dipped everything, so we will not find the shunt that easy?

Back