Sur-Ron - New Mid drive Bike

n2mb said:
Allex said:
Think it is LP20
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=89902&p=1358016&hilit=xlr#p1358016

Looks like it!
https://www.amazon.com/CNLINKO-Industrial-Circular-Connector-Waterproof/dp/B0797CNVWD

I wonder what is on the 3rd pin... I'm guessing just temp sensor output, or maybe RS485 for communication to the charger? I have heard it won't charge if the battery is too hot.

Another source for the connector:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/3-Pin-Powe...893409?hash=item1c77236821:g:OIEAAOSwXPNaKZ2P

3DTOPO said:
So I just got kicked off Luna's Sur Ron Owners group (on Facebook) - simply for engaging in conversation.

Apparently they only allow members that do nothing but kiss up to them. What a joke, and a hell of a way to treat customers. Their loss - I was only trying to help others in their so-called community.

Not only did they lose a good customer - I will no longer be sending customers their way.

Damn man, that sucks... That looks like a group just for folks who drop the money and never complain or ask about anything. :?

3DTOPO said:
Jonathan1981 said:
seat and fender easily damaged in a crash (cuz imma ride this mofo)..... cables and connectors (will degrade over time and use) battery and battery parts (will there always be spare batteries available, who knows).......... that plastic battery cover etc. just to name a few.

As far as I can tell - they currently don't stock that stuff anyways. I begged them to order the seat from the X Model which was ignored.

This is one of the most delicate points in my opinion, not being able to get spare parts easily or upgrade to the new stuff that SUR-RON keeps pushing out (x controller, golden chain with o-ring, new seat, etc.) is something that could discourage people from buying this bike.

This is an issue for nearly all chinese made bike stuff. Bafang and others have suddenly made design changes with no warning and getting spare parts is not guaranteed. Many of the parts can be found from alternate sources or are generic. I could imagine needing to fabricate a part that was not available as a spare. Since Sur-ron won't supply parts, distributors won't have any either.

I'm willing to take that chance. I've spent a lifetime making parts that were not available off the shelf. If there turns out to be one particularly weak part that needs frequent replacement, I'm sure somebody will figure out a way to get them. 3D printers and CNC machines are great. So far the main thing seems to be chains, sprockets and brakes, which are out there.

racingame said:
3DTOPO said:
So I just got kicked off Luna's Sur Ron Owners group (on Facebook) - simply for engaging in conversation.

Apparently they only allow members that do nothing but kiss up to them. What a joke, and a hell of a way to treat customers. Their loss - I was only trying to help others in their so-called community.

Not only did they lose a good customer - I will no longer be sending customers their way.

Damn man, that sucks... That looks like a group just for folks who drop the money and never complain or ask about anything. :?

That sure seems like the case. I have tried my hardest to like Luna, I really, really wanted to. But time and time again they have let me down. They seem to have the attitude that they are better than their customers and treat us like we are imbeciles.

On their Facebook Forum, someone was complaining about the stopping power. Mark Sasaki responded that bleeding the breaks will make them work as good or better than the Magnua MT-5s. I said, yeah, that will help, if they need bleeding. He didn't care for that. I mean, come on, how can bleeding give you more stopping power if they don't need bleeding?

Then, yesterday I posted a picture of my new X Controller I ordered from Luna, that shows the wire harness was not at all sealed . A gapping
a hole is visible (see pic). He accused me of nit-picking instead of admiring all the great things about the bike. I stated that I was just trying to help others that might have a false sense of security of the controller being more water resistant than it truly is. The stock controller I removed looked about the same for what it's worth (Mark Sasaki tried to assure me it was OK since the stock controller also isn't sealed).

IMG_4251.jpg

The other big complaint I have about Luna is they have made numerous false and deceptive claims - and the Sur-Ron is good enough they don't need to. Their website used to state that you can just take the bike down to the DMV and register it super easy, yet they refused to help me obtain a required Certificate of Origin. Their first ad claimed it has an 80-mile range (which is what they claimed before I ordered the bike). Then they changed that to a 40-mile range (I can only guess from receiving an onslaught of complaints). For me, I am lucky to get 28 miles range (using mostly EP mode). I have had their ad show up in my Facebook feed claiming the bike was in-stock and shipping now, when in-fact, it wasn't in stock. They claimed the X Controller alone will give 30% more torque when Sur-Ron themselves claim their X Model, with a 58T sprocket, provides 20% additional torque (which the 58T is exactly 20% bigger than the 48T sprocket). They set up a website and made it look like it was a 3rd party that made the claim no X Model even exists. I could go on and on.

racingame said:
3DTOPO said:
Jonathan1981 said:
seat and fender easily damaged in a crash (cuz imma ride this mofo)..... cables and connectors (will degrade over time and use) battery and battery parts (will there always be spare batteries available, who knows).......... that plastic battery cover etc. just to name a few.

As far as I can tell - they currently don't stock that stuff anyways. I begged them to order the seat from the X Model which was ignored.

This is one of the most delicate points in my opinion, not being able to get spare parts easily or upgrade to the new stuff that SUR-RON keeps pushing out (x controller, golden chain with o-ring, new seat, etc.) is something that could discourage people from buying this bike.

I managed to order an X Controller before they sold out. I was sold on it (since the Model X was announced ~2 months ago), and yet they used a scare tactic that this may be the one and only chance to order an X Controller for all time.

But yeah, I think its crazy they don't stock all the parts Sur-Ron sells. They don't offer the X Model seat, suspension, 58T sprocket (they instead push their inferior 60T), odometer (I begged them to sell me an X Model odometer so I can run a 58T and have the odometer be correct). Then there are the non-Sur-Ron parts - fenders, bark busters, handle-bars etc. etc. They are missing out on a ton of after market upgrades.

3DTOPO said:
racingame said:
3DTOPO said:

That sure seems like the case. I have tried my hardest to like Luna, I really, really wanted to. But time and time again they have let me down. They seem to have the attitude that they are better than their customers and treat us like we are imbeciles.

On their Facebook Forum, someone was complaining about the stopping power. Mark responded that bleeding the breaks will make them work as good or better than the Magnua MT-5s. I said, yeah, that will help, if they need bleeding. He didn't care for that. I mean, come on, how can bleeding give you more stopping power if they don't need bleeding?

Then, yesterday I posted a picture of my new X Controller I ordered from Luna, that shows the wire harness was not at all sealed . A gapping
a hole is visible (see pic). He accused me of nit-picking instead of admiring all the great things about the bike. I stated that I was just trying to help others that might have a false sense of security of the controller being more water resistant than it truly is. The stock controller I removed looked about the same for what it's worth (Mark tried to assure me it was OK since the stock controller also isn't sealed).

IMG_4251.jpg

The other big complaint I have about Luna is they have made numerous false and deceptive claims - and the Sur-Ron is good enough they don't need to. Their website used to state that you can just take the bike down to the DMV and register it super easy, yet they refused to help me obtain a required Certificate of Origin. Their first ad claimed it has an 80-mile range (which is what they claimed before I ordered the bike). Then they changed that to a 40-mile range (I can only guess from receiving an onslaught of complaints). For me, I am lucky to get 28 miles range (using mostly EP mode). I have had their ad show up in my Facebook feed claiming the bike was in-stock and shipping now, when in-fact, it wasn't in stock. They claimed the X Controller alone will give 30% more torque when Sur-Ron themselves claim their X Model, with a 58T sprocket, provides 20% additional torque (which the 58T is exactly 20% bigger than the 48T sprocket). They set up a website and made it look like it was a 3rd party that made the claim no X Model even exists. I could go on and on.

racingame said:
3DTOPO said:
Jonathan1981 said:

I managed to order an X Controller before they sold out. I was sold on it (since the Model X was announced ~2 months ago), and yet they used a scare tactic that this may be the one and only chance to order an X Controller for all time.

But yeah, I think its crazy they don't stock all the parts Sur-Ron sells. They don't offer the X Model seat, suspension, 58T sprocket (they instead push their inferior 60T), odometer (I begged them to sell me an X Model odometer so I can run a 58T and have the odometer be correct). Then there are the non-Sur-Ron parts - fenders, bark busters, handle-bars etc. etc. They are missing out on a ton of after market upgrades.

here are some sources for Sur-Ron replacement parts, etc (you may or may not be able to source parts china direct but at least you can see what's available) .. :

https://www.aebikes.com.au/spare-parts.html

https://lunacycle.com/sur-ron-parts/

http://shop.m.jd.com/?shopId=732127

3DTOPO said:
racingame said:
3DTOPO said:

On their Facebook Forum, someone was complaining about the stopping power. Mark Sasaki responded that bleeding the breaks will make them work as good or better than the Magnua MT-5s. I said, yeah, that will help, if they need bleeding. He didn't care for that. I mean, come on, how can bleeding give you more stopping power if they don't need bleeding?

a hole is visible (see pic). He accused me of nit-picking instead of admiring all the great things about the bike. I stated that I was just trying to help others that might have a false sense of security of the controller being more water resistant than it truly is. The stock controller I removed looked about the same for what it's worth (Mark Sasaki tried to assure me it was OK since the stock controller also isn't sealed).

IMG_4251.jpg

racingame said:
3DTOPO said:
Jonathan1981 said:

A e-bikes.com.au has been shipping parts and bikes worldwide since March.
I stopped posting information here by request from the manufacturer, probably due to the majority of members being in the USA and restricted to what they can purchase locally.

Why? You fancy o-ring chain? You local store will have em stock. Need different controller? Get a better one from different vendor. New seat? What's wrong with the one you got? And when did it become a problem that a manufacturer is moving forward, are developing new and better products and putting their earnings into the company, R&D to bring you even better parts?

This bike is by far the cheapest option to get into e-bikes with mid drive and enough power to give you a thrill. If you can't see the benefits and focus solely on what might go wrong or whatever part could be hard to source you are going into this ass first.

You can find other ebikes, even in this price range. But you can't find any powerful ebikes with mid drive with this kind of power for this price. There are other choices but you will pay at least twice the cost of sur ron. Sure paying twice the price might translate to wider range of stock parts, then again who knows your choice of manufacturer might end belly up even if they charged you 7K or more for your bike. The market for high priced e-bikes are very small and competition is getting more fierce every year. Sur ron is keeping their prices competitive and will likely stick around for a long time. As they sell more and more bikes third party manufacturers will start to offer their third party parts to sur ron as well.

racingame said:
3DTOPO said:

3DTOPO said:
Jonathan1981 said:

Anyway, all that to say, Luna has responded to all my questions super quickly with great responses so that has added some confidence...some info for anyone ordering out of Canada...I'm in Quebec..

- You'll need to order the pedal kit also to get it through customs, pedal kit is 175US
- shipping to my location in Quebec (Gatineau) was quoted as 180$
- You're charged cost of bike to credit card upon ordering, pay tax and duties when bike arrives to delivery person
- X controllers are on order but none in stock right now
- More parts are apparently coming though
- In Canada, for any battery issues, there's a guy here in Canada that can deal with it, if it's not a full on replacement issue...not sure where he is located though...I'm assuming would have to ship it too him, get it fixed, then pay to have it shipped back to this guy....so worth noting, could be weeks of downtime.... spare battery anyone? lol

Thanks Luna (Rod) for quick replies, helps a lot... after conversion to CAD, and having to buy the other parts, price does add up, I'll be in over 5K CAD when all is said and done.... I think it's still reasonable, but not as much of a steal after all.... you're getting into super nice gas bike territory there....... just on the fence here...
Cheers

Aebrennan said:
A e-bikes.com.au has been shipping parts and bikes worldwide since March.
I stopped posting information here by request from the manufacturer, probably due to the majority of members being in the USA and restricted to what they can purchase locally.

As a US customer, I can vouch for Aebrennan at e-bikes.com.au providing parts. I got parts for my SurRon from him a while back, quick with delivery too.

Alright well enough was enough... sometimes you just have to suck it up and jump... order placed... feel good about it... hope everything at customs and shipping goes smoothly...

Can someone point me to where to get the 55t sprocket? I'll order that in advance...

macribs said:

Why? You fancy o-ring chain? You local store will have em stock. Need different controller? Get a better one from different vendor. New seat? What's wrong with the one you got? And when did it become a problem that a manufacturer is moving forward, are developing new and better products and putting their earnings into the company, R&D to bring you even better parts?

This bike is by far the cheapest option to get into e-bikes with mid drive and enough power to give you a thrill. If you can't see the benefits and focus solely on what might go wrong or whatever part could be hard to source you are going into this ass first.

You can find other ebikes, even in this price range. But you can't find any powerful ebikes with mid drive with this kind of power for this price. There are other choices but you will pay at least twice the cost of sur ron. Sure paying twice the price might translate to wider range of stock parts, then again who knows your choice of manufacturer might end belly up even if they charged you 7K or more for your bike. The market for high priced e-bikes are very small and competition is getting more fierce every year. Sur ron is keeping their prices competitive and will likely stick around for a long time. As they sell more and more bikes third party manufacturers will start to offer their third party parts to sur ron as well.
Sorry but I honestly can't accept the fact that if I want a newer component, then I may have to buy a new bike because my local dealer could not care at all to order that particular piece I really want, and that I cannot buy it from anyone else because SUR-RON policy is to set up a monopoly where only one company is allowed to order the spare parts from them within an entire state. That's just a dumb strategy, if they were allowing any store to order whatever component they wanted, it would just benefit both their pockets and expecially the consumers who would have more options.

Also please consider that not everybody here is as lucky as the people who live in USA. In EU we have heavy taxes for importing these bikes from China and the price from dealers are generally over 1 grand higher than what you pay from Luna. Just saying...

racingame said:
macribs said:

Sorry but I honestly can't accept the fact that if I want a newer component, then I may have to buy a new bike because my local dealer could not care at all to order that particular piece I really want, and that I cannot buy it from anyone else because SUR-RON policy is to set up a monopoly where only one company is allowed to order the spare parts from them within an entire state. That's just a dumb strategy, if they were allowing any store to order whatever component they wanted, it would just benefit both their pockets and expecially the consumers who would have more options.

I just bought one, with fingers crossed, I'll post about the whole experience when I get it and use it for a bit.... went through the same reasoning, but gotta remember, it's a fairly new offering, things will grow... one of the reasons I bought it was not even so much to ride (I have a few, cool custom gas bikes already) but more so to get into the aftermarket part scene.... there is A LOT of potential there... sprockets, stems, fenders, suspension, fairings, pegs, cranks, linkages, covers, storage etc. The idea's are flowing already!! NEED NOW! lol

anyway, just my 2 cents

Jonathan1981 said:
Alright well enough was enough... sometimes you just have to suck it up and jump... order placed... feel good about it... hope everything at customs and shipping goes smoothly...

Can someone point me to where to get the 55t sprocket? I'll order that in advance...

Motomoto here on ES is the manufacture of the 55T along with the 52T and 58T, I have his newest 55T, but I don't see the 55T on his website just yet. They will be there surely as he has cut 10 sprockets in the 55T and nine should still be available. Check out his site. https://www.sur-ronusa.com/shop

I just got back from a 7.2 mile ride with the X Controller. I would estimate it was about 1800 vertical foot climb to the halfway point (3.6 miles). About half the trip is steep and quite technical. It took 31% battery getting up (I left with 66% in the battery and reached the half-way point with 35% left)

Descending the first half mile, I took a look and my battery was at 36%. Neat! And was so much better than riding the breaks the whole way - barely needed my breaks at all. Feels so much more of a controlled descent.

I kept it in sport mode the whole trip - punched it in the flat-ish areas coming down. I got back home with 35% - the same charge as the half-way point! So it took 0% to get home. Normally it would have taken about 5% battery to get back from the half-way point.

@Rix: I know you aren't crazy about the idea of the regen automatically kicking in - but once you try it here next month - I think you may end up liking it. :wink: I didn't even have to put it in EP mode to disable the regen once. If you aren't coasting as fast as you might like, you can give it the tiniest amount of throttle (and by tiny I mean that it wouldn't even be enough to move the bike on flat ground - not possible on the stock controller) - or give it just a tad of juice to get rolling a bit faster. All in all, I think it works perfectly! 8)

p.s. if you aren't juicing it - it's almost as quiet as a bicycle now - the loudest thing seems to be the bearings...

Jonathan1981 I just bought one said:
You know Jonny81, I don't think you will have any buyers remorse. Even though I am a Stealth Ebike fan through and through, I bought my SurRon and have no regrets. It augments my ebike collection very well and is a blast to ride. Its flat out the best performing ebike bang for the buck every mass produced. To make the SurRon better, there are only 2 mods that you need to make. Get a better front fork and get a 52T or 55T rear sprocket. Maybe a better set of brakes once the stock ones wear out. That is it. There is nothing else that needs to be done to this bike. You will be happy.

Rix said:
Jonathan1981 said:

Motomoto here on ES is the manufacture of the 55T along with the 52T and 58T, I have his newest 55T, but I don't see the 55T on his website just yet. They will be there surely as he has cut 10 sprockets in the 55T and nine should still be available. Check out his site. https://www.sur-ronusa.com/shop

10-4 thanks brotha... i'll keep checking...55T seems like the way to go right?? From what I'm hearing..

so stoked to get this little beast...
so far so good for communication with Luna, the purchase process went smoothly, all automated with appropriate redirects...I was even promptly e-mailed by the "Canadian" Luna counterpart in Montreal, apparently they are stocking parts, offer support etc. so now I'm like....F YA. Feeling even better now! Maybe we can get enough people up here in the area together we could have a group ride and stop for some poutine after :p

Rix said:
Get a better front fork and get a 52T or 55T rear sprocket. Maybe a better set of brakes once the stock ones wear out. That is it. There is nothing else that needs to be done to this bike. You will be happy.

Well said. I think the single-best upgrade has been the M403 tires you recommended. But - I think the X Controller may be a tie. Even without the X Controller - best bang for the buck I have ever spent - in my whole life and I'm getting old! :lol:

3DTOPO said:
I just got back from a 7.2 mile ride with the X Controller. I would estimate it was about 1800 vertical foot climb to the halfway point (3.6 miles). About half the trip is steep and quite technical. It took 31% battery getting up (I left with 66% in the battery and reached the half-way point with 35% left)

Descending the first half mile, I took a look and my battery was at 36%. Neat! And was so much better than riding the breaks the whole way - barely needed my breaks at all. Feels so much more of a controlled descent.

I kept it in sport mode the whole trip - punched it in the flat-ish areas coming down. I got back home with 35% - the same charge as the half-way point! So it took 0% to get home. Normally it would have taken about 5% battery to get back from the half-way point.

@Rix: I know you aren't crazy about the idea of the regen automatically kicking in - but once you try it here next month - I think you may end up liking it. :wink: I didn't even have to put it in EP mode to disable the regen once. If you aren't coasting as fast as you might like, you can give it the tiniest amount of throttle (and by tiny I mean that it wouldn't even be enough to move the bike on flat ground - not possible on the stock controller) - or give it just a tad of juice to get rolling a bit faster. All in all, I think it works perfectly! 8)

I am so looking forward to getting up to Crouch and getting a ride with you. I will also buy lunch in Crouch or in Banks, your choice, I haven't ridden this area since 1987 and I just can wait to do so. And if you don't mind, lets swap machines for a few so I can check out the regen and FOC controller.

Jonathan1981 said:
Rix said:
Jonathan1981 said:

10-4 thanks brotha... i'll keep checking...55T seems like the way to go right?? From what I'm hearing..

so stoked to get this little beast...
so far so good for communication with Luna, the purchase process went smoothly, all automated with appropriate redirects...I was even promptly e-mailed by the "Canadian" Luna counterpart in Montreal, apparently they are stocking parts, offer support etc. so now I'm like....F YA. Feeling even better now! Maybe we can get enough people up here in the area together we could have a group ride and stop for some poutine after :p

Unless Kim has tried his 55T, I think I am the first to try it here. This weekend I will have some direct comparison details in offroad conditions between the 55T, 58T, and 52T. As far as comparing these to sized to the stock 48T, not going to do that as I havne't used the 48t since the second ride.

Rix said:
3DTOPO said:

I am so looking forward to getting up to Crouch and getting a ride with you. I will also buy lunch in Crouch or in Banks, your choice, I haven't ridden this area since 1987 and I just can wait to do so. And if you don't mind, lets swap machines for a few so I can check out the regen and FOC controller.

That is very kind of you! Alternatively we can grill up some food here. Did I mention I have a natural giant hot tub filled by a hot-spring here? I can put you up in your own little cabin 10-feet from the tub!

Yes, please, by all means - you can ride the X Controller the whole time! :wink:

3DTOPO said:
Rix said:
3DTOPO said:

That is very kind of you! Alternatively we can grill up some food here. Did I mention I have a natural giant hot tub filled by a hot-spring here? I can put you up in your own little cabin 10-feet from the tub!

Yes, please, by all means - you can ride the X Controller the whole time! :wink:

Sweet bro, I am there. I will bring the beer and grab some porterhouse cuts from the butcher on overland in Boise. This will be a blast.

Back