GNG / CYC X1 Pro 3000w

Looks like i'm going to get one of the first units for review.
I'm pretty excited about it, to be honest.. and not much excites me these days because i feel like i've seen it all already.
It's a real privilege to be selected for these kinds of things. :D

On the other hand, it sounds like the delivery date is late October or early November, and we could possibly see freezing temps here, so i might not be able to put it through it's paces until February. I will certainly pick apart it's guts and display it for you all on this thread, nonetheless. :)

to me this looks like old cyclone crab in a new jacket

neptronix said:
1:6 First stage Hardened steel planetary gear, for its reliability.

So this means it is not helical. We now the angelic sound of such a drive :lol:

[youtube]7tLBf-H-Cgw[/youtube]

6000rpm? At 36:1 ratio? Have you ever seen someone pedaling at :shock: 166,6 rpm
[youtube]h5a3C2MC87g[/youtube]

neptronix said:
Hey guys.. i was asking GNG if they had a 0.35mm lamination version of their mid drive motor..
And the guy at the end of the line told me about a new drive coming out in a few months.. the X1-pro.
[...]
file.php

most of this great Solidworks model was made by CGPdesign BTW, fits great to my avatar pic i think

you can download it, you can edit colours, rebrand it to your own company and throw it into the internet. A link to the original designer would have been nice. Now added with this post: https://grabcad.com/library/mtb-bike-redesign-by-pax-1

Edit: just fell over the fact that actually Joris Deschamps has made this great model of the bike in 2014 :eek:
https://grabcad.com/library/freeride-mtb-1

this is how the original model looked like:
large.JPG

I just fell over this because i stole this great model, too :D congrats to the creators. Really nice, ebike friendly suspension design making space for a bigger battery in the frame.

I am not here for bashing Cylcone designs. I like that they are improving their products (yes i am a customer too). But indstead of throwing untested designs on the market again and again it would be nice to see some improvements like stiffer mounts, torque sensor BBs (as already mentioned) and other useful stuff for their existing products. Not just to support their existing customers. This could grow more and better. The old 3000W middrive is an enrichment to the community. It's time for a soffistivated upgrade to this drive. Hope this new one turns out to be a good product. The step to leak it and to inlcude neptronix was a good one

Not sure how that relates to this..

But anyway, i know the drive is probably going to be loud. Will probably throw an ASI FOC controller on it if the stock controller is a FOC. It'll go on a bike with motorcycle tires so there's not gonna be anything stealth about that build :lol:

3000W is enough power to sustain 45mph, so let's be honest, this drive is ideal for building an off-road machine for fun, not for stealth.
( nobody cares about this where i live. I've seen motorcycles on trails before )

hmmmm I wish design is as such that you can adjust the gap between bb mounting hardware to accommodate wider bb shells. as of now it seems like the motor side cover with the windows on it sits on top of the mounting plate........ the bafang BBS-XX units are very versatile installation wise because you can just shim the left hand side plate with washers and make it work with bb shells that are slightly wider than 68mm like cruiser bikes that have american bb shells equipped with english threaded reducers.

Looks like a very cool drive! I just ordered a couple Bafang mid-drives, and part of me wishes I had waited. However, between the potential noise and drivetrain-shredding power levels of this unit, I think the Bafangs will still be the better option for my projects.

If there were an internal geared hub that could easily (ie. reliably) handle 3,000W, this thing would be awesome for making a lightweight e-moto conversion out of any modern MTB. Then again, that's kind of what I've always thought about the Tangent and Davinci. Amazing drives, but they push the power into levels which fall somewhere between bicycles and motorcycles. Personally, I would gladly sacrifice some power for reliability. 3,000W will eat up bicycle parts. I'm curious how big/loud/heavy/efficient a 1,500W version of this drive would be.

Looks like a very nice kit, im very interested, thanks for sharing all this information with us.
3000W at 2.5 kg is a dream.
219 Chain for reduction to the crank will be my favorite, but the "Gear-version" also sound like a very cool idea :D
Someone mentioned that it will come without a display, but a Smartphone app (?) i like that idea, but not sure where that info came from.
my biggest concern is the noise of the (steel-) planetary.

does anyone know when the kit will be available for normal customers? Neptronix, i think you will get yours before it is for (official) sell?

Back to looking at this again, since some DIY RC mid-drive builders here are stuck on low power / just assist levels of power . ( It is entirely possible to have higher power levels by using a freewheeling crankset for short bursts of high power, not pedaling, ... then use the lower power levels for assist and pedaling )
Each person could then use the different modes at different percentages of their ride depending on conditions.
Still waiting on this/someone to design and make this ... using simple off the shelf bicycle parts for reduction of motor RPM to the rear wheel , not expensive custom machined reduction systems.
We now have 9 speed and 12 speed cassettes that are 11 - 50 tooth !
Ready to buy , Now .

So until that happens I am
Back to looking at this drive ...

I see nothing of this Pro X1 on the GNG website .

What is the Cost ?

What is the Weight ?

What type of chainring do they use ? ( 8 speed chain ? 9 speed chain ? etc. )

They sayd it would cost 698 usd + shipping. For the noise they sayd it would be quieter than previus belt drive kit. I hope someone gets to test it soon!

Would it be possible to add torque sensing bottom bracket for this?

I have no real connection to GNG from the inside, so i can't say anything for sure.
I will beat on it.. tear it apart.. weigh everything.. and present all the info i can come up with when i get my hands on the thing in november.

Only thing that can get in the way of the 'beating on it' part is if Utah freezes over early this year. Otherwise you just get specs now, and performance data later.

This looks very interesting, 3kW out of such small motor, it must be crazy loud for sure. :lol:

Just a couple of notes, in reply to a couple of bits posted a while back (first time reading this thread for me right now):

There's nothing I can think of about a planetary steel gear set that prevents it from also being helical.

The clear epoxy will probably be *less* heat conductive than the black stuff, assuming the black stuff includes additives to make it more heat conductive than regular epoxy, because the clear epoxy wouldn't have any of that in there (if it did, it wouldn't be clear anymore).

I need one! :) I dont know which one is better chain or gear version? Or which one would have less noise.

I hope there is riding videos soon.

Just ordered a chain version. My VERY FIRST ebike. However I have a background in both motorcycles and RC models plus some machining which I hope won't be needed.

I was extremely close to buying a Cyclone but I couldn't get behind how much upgrading was needed and the overall ugliness of the kit. This drive seemed to solve all the issues for a measly +25% added cost (after all the required upgrades on the Cyclone), especially since it appears this will have at least a semi-useful cadence. I have a lot of hills on my intended commute so being able to add watts along the way is important.

Planning on a 52V/20ah triangle battery into a HT frame I have kicking around for a high speed commuter. I am waiting to hear from them if the 60v limit on the controller is maximum or nominal.

Cheers,
Grant

neptronix said:
3000W is enough power to sustain 45mph, so let's be honest, this drive is ideal for building an off-road machine for fun, not for stealth.
( nobody cares about this where i live. I've seen motorcycles on trails before )

3000w is certainly enough to sustain some high speeds, the real question is if the motor cooling is enough to sustain 3000w... No vents or active cooling, no large fins, small thermal mass. Not looking too good.

Quite a first start! Welcome! I'm back from the dead......

waffled pretty hard over a cyclone for my build. Ive used a bbs02 with great success in the past, very reliable, well integrated, but kinda boring.... No issues ever with it.

This should created better balanced & overall lighter ebike than a hub motor set up.

Tommm said:
neptronix said:

3000w is certainly enough to sustain some high speeds, the real question is if the motor cooling is enough to sustain 3000w... No vents or active cooling, no large fins, small thermal mass. Not looking too good.

they say 0.20 lamminations , thats what interesting , motor will be cooler for sure

They have been SUPER responsive on their FB chat. Controller is 60v max (63v FET?). However they suggested that upgrading the controller might happen before they ship.
Interesting to see how few options on the kit (brake switch, PAS and different controller mount).

The drives will ship from Hong Kong so really hoping no 25% tariff.

I'm no speed demon so not really interested in much beyond a 52v/2000w setup.

maitilupas said:
Tommm said:
neptronix said:

they say 0.20 lamminations , thats what interesting , motor will be cooler for sure

That's exactly why i got interested in it.
Might be the most efficient mid drive on the market. Less iron losses means less heat. Less heat means more power in a smaller package.

It certainly is deserving of the name Pro . It is the most professional looking , mass market style of drive . ( Tangent and Lighting Rod's have that beautiful custom look though )

Every thing about it looks to be quality , except for ... only a thumb throttle for a throttle option.
Thumb Throttles are not smooth . every little bump slows you down or speeds you up. In addition to that Thumb Throttles over work your thumb and cause pain in a very short amount of time/usage.
Half throttles are a little better , but still make your hand all around your thumb sore.

The best option and what I am using now is a " ergo- grip Throttle "
it has an ergonomic grip, and is a full throttle. with that you can also use a cramp buster just like many motorcycle riders use.

Anyone know what the shipping cost to the U.S. is going to be ?

So far with just a couple of options, early buyers will pay $ 704 ( $ 668+Pas Sensor + Brake Cut off Switches ) , before shipping costs, so close to $ 800 !
and if they do raise the price by $ 100 at some time, that would be around $ 900 or more including shipping.

Being Manufactured in Asia I was expecting it to cost more like $ 600 with all options, before shipping costs.
I was really hoping for around $ 650 including shipping.
At their current price ...
I will have to wait for reviews and testing to decide .

Back