new cyclone 3000 w mid-drive kit?

Discussions related to motors other than hub motors.
This includes R/C motors, botttom bracket, roller and geared drives.
Tommm   100 W

100 W

Re: new cyclone 3000 w mid-drive kit?

Post by Tommm » Dec 06 2018 3:58pm

I hope you changed that battery/cells that showed rubbing and possibly dents on the bottom as it is a fire hazard in that state. The elite bike should be sold as a frame only and for advanced builders.

Smoke   10 W

10 W

Post by Smoke » Dec 07 2018 3:25am

Grantmac wrote:
Dec 05 2018 3:25pm
I too am interested a 11t non freewheeling sprocket, I figure if the batteries die I can just remove the primary chain.
In theory with a 3spd fixie IGH you could run regen with the cranks freewheeling.
I got my motor a few days ago. Spinning the sprocket by hand, I'm not sure if the fixed sprocket would work because it seemed quite difficult to turn.

I plan to use it primarily in pedal assist mode which should be fine and allow regen if I have a fixed sprocket but if my battery dies it might create too much drag to pedal.

It might not be a big issue because my battery will be about 1.9kwh, I would have to ride pretty far before the battery dies. Worst case I would have to re-route my chain and shorten it to bypass the motor before I could ride home.

Before I worry about that I have to get pedal assist working right so I'll worry about that first and try a fixed sprocket after PAS is working just right.

As far as reliability goes, I'm going to use no deraileurs, my chain line will never change and hopefully my chain will never want to leave it. As long as I can keep the motor happy, I'm not expecting any issues because I'm not using any other Cyclone kit parts.
Don't let me out.

Grantmac   100 mW

100 mW

Post by Grantmac » Dec 07 2018 10:36am

Should I run out of battery I'd just remove the primary chain.
I agree that pedaling through the motor would be extremely tiring, then again I'm trying to build a bike I can pedal along with but always running at least a little assist.

khorse   1 mW

1 mW

Post by khorse » Dec 08 2018 10:24pm

So after finally getting a replacement half link chain here in the netherlands, where nobody sells them, I've put my motor kit back together and it's still slipping under even light acceleration.

I can't figure it out. At first I thought the chain was worn out, because it broke when I took it off. But then I noticed the motor mounts were loose, and figured that was the problem. The motor freewheel has no measurable wear on it and engages as it should when I hold it in my hand. If I lift the back wheel there's no slipping, only when I'm riding it.

The only thing I can think is either the motor freewheel's pawls are worn out and slipping, or the gearbox is. I'm going to try replacing the motor freewheel first.

The only problem is I don't know what to order. I can get the freewheel and it's adapter off the motor, but not separate them. Cyclone-TW sells the complete assembly together in two versions, CW14T and CCW14T but don't explain the difference.

Chalo   100 GW

100 GW

Post by Chalo » Dec 08 2018 10:31pm

khorse wrote:
Dec 08 2018 10:24pm
So after finally getting a replacement half link chain here in the netherlands, where nobody sells them, I've put my motor kit back together and it's still slipping under even light acceleration.
If your old chain was worn and elongated, then the chain in turn wore out your sprockets. Worn sprockets will misbehave even with a brand new chain.

Putting much greater than human power through a pedal drive system causes the components to wear much faster than normal. You can mitigate it somewhat by using the largest sprockets possible both front and rear.
This is to express my gratitude to Justin of Grin Technologies for his extraordinary measures to save this forum for the benefit of all.

Tommm   100 W

100 W

Post by Tommm » Dec 09 2018 12:03am

Yea, somehow my smaller 11-28 steel cassette cogs got worn even by a chain that disintegrated after 500km (didn't even stretch to .75, just kept ripping). The smaller cogs I barely used are skipping with a fresh chain, but the bigger 32-50t cogs on the same cassette are fine. Even though I used them a lot more, I guess the stress is better distributed. Seems like the best way to go about it is buy 3 chains for 1 set of cogs front and rear and rotate them so they all wear evenly.

khorse   1 mW

1 mW

Post by khorse » Dec 09 2018 1:37am

Chalo wrote:
Dec 08 2018 10:31pm
khorse wrote:
Dec 08 2018 10:24pm
If your old chain was worn and elongated, then the chain in turn wore out your sprockets. Worn sprockets will misbehave even with a brand new chain.

Putting much greater than human power through a pedal drive system causes the components to wear much faster than normal. You can mitigate it somewhat by using the largest sprockets possible both front and rear.
I'm well aware of this, I used to earn a living fixing bikes. This is why I have to repeat that I checked the motor freewheel, it isn't worn. Worn teeth are easily visible.

In the end it's turned out that the 14t cog on the cassette was the culprit. I'd originally dismissed it being a problem in the bicycle side of the drivetrain because I'd only been using that cog for all of 8 hours total riding. (I don't have a shifter cable fitted, I'd originally ran on the middle cog but changed it as an experiment)

I suppose that says something about the quality of this cassette!

Chalo   100 GW

100 GW

Post by Chalo » Dec 09 2018 12:43pm

What was the nature of the damage? Normal wear, bent teeth impinging on its neighbors, or something else?

I got a 14t outer position sprocket for my BBS02 bike. I would use a bigger outer sprocket if I could get my hands on one, because 46/14 is too high a ratio to be of use to me.
This is to express my gratitude to Justin of Grin Technologies for his extraordinary measures to save this forum for the benefit of all.

khorse   1 mW

1 mW

Post by khorse » Dec 09 2018 3:06pm

Other than that it's happened in an extremely short amount of time, it's just normal wear. The bike chain still measures up as being brand new. I can only guess that it's just a very soft metal, which is surprising because it's a proper shimano part.

MarkLeeds   1 W

1 W

Post by MarkLeeds » Dec 11 2018 7:04pm

Just posted a build thread entitled Specialized Enduro 2014 Cyclone 3000 build in E-Bike Build Threads / Photos & Video.

I included a brief description, pictures and a link to a video. Thanks very much to everyone for all your contributions - couldn't have done it without you.