My Bafang Ultra Mountain Bike! Frey AM1000

Discussions related to motors other than hub motors.
This includes R/C motors, botttom bracket, roller and geared drives.
Hardcore   100 mW

100 mW
Posts: 39
Joined: Mar 22 2018 7:19pm

Re: My Bafang Ultra Mountain Bike! Frey AM1000

Post by Hardcore » Jan 06 2019 6:43pm

Hi,

the am1000 is still performing as I desire. Here are some vids from my early weeks when the sun was shining.
https://youtu.be/K2WKKF_31vY, https://youtu.be/k9DiaG7Kgpk, and in the snow: https://youtu.be/DByknT084LU

To give you the two extremes: you can cycle 70+km comfortably with the assist or empty a battery in 1h (52v 17.5Ah) on throttle only. Add a dropper and you can descend 54% rocky mountainsides or climb 40% in technical terrain if you can balance. In bikeparks its a bit more difficult due to the high weight of the bike to jump the black lines (8 - 10 m). If you're fit the bike can give you an adrenaline rush for 2 to 3 hours, which means I take a second battery with me for the long days out. Best things I did was changing to shorter cranks and having that 2nd battery.

What are you planning on doing with the bike and in what budget?

The only drawback I see is that there is no way of flying to other places with the bike's batteries and renting will not be an option. Besides that, if you can fix it yourself, Frey is more than helpful when it came to the early-bird problems that I encountered.

Cheers,
H

bugnut   100 µW

100 µW
Posts: 7
Joined: Oct 05 2018 4:06pm

Re: My Bafang Ultra Mountain Bike! Frey AM1000

Post by bugnut » Jan 06 2019 10:46pm

Thanks for the response Hardcore,

I'm glad to see that you are still happy with the Frey. Those were some great videos. They reminded me of the days when I raced a CanAm 250 in enduro races. I never owned an ebike and I would like to make sure that I have no regrets. I will be 60 in February and I am in pretty good shape (6'3" about 200lbs) but I do not think I would be getting to crazy with it. I guess my riding would be 45% road 45% easy bike trail and 10% more challenging trails and such. I was at first leaning towards a full suspension but then had concerns of chain issues due to the flexing of the rear suspension. Is that an issue? I am not even sure which Front and rear shocks would be best for me. Your thoughts? I would also like to go with the 52v 17.5AH battery. Being kind of tall which size bike would I be looking at. What do you think about 29"x2.8" or 3" wheels? I think the EX1 sounds like the way to go. My price range is $3500-$3900 with shipping and taxes. So in your opinion, what else should I be looking at.
Thank you

BTW, this used to be a very active thread. I wonder why it seemed to have died off.

Hardcore   100 mW

100 mW
Posts: 39
Joined: Mar 22 2018 7:19pm

Re: My Bafang Ultra Mountain Bike! Frey AM1000

Post by Hardcore » Jan 07 2019 8:05am

bugnut wrote:
Jan 06 2019 10:46pm
Thanks for the response Hardcore,

I'm glad to see that you are still happy with the Frey. Those were some great videos. They reminded me of the days when I raced a CanAm 250 in enduro races. I never owned an ebike and I would like to make sure that I have no regrets. I will be 60 in February and I am in pretty good shape (6'3" about 200lbs) but I do not think I would be getting to crazy with it. I guess my riding would be 45% road 45% easy bike trail and 10% more challenging trails and such. I was at first leaning towards a full suspension but then had concerns of chain issues due to the flexing of the rear suspension. Is that an issue? I am not even sure which Front and rear shocks would be best for me. Your thoughts? I would also like to go with the 52v 17.5AH battery. Being kind of tall which size bike would I be looking at. What do you think about 29"x2.8" or 3" wheels? I think the EX1 sounds like the way to go. My price range is $3500-$3900 with shipping and taxes. So in your opinion, what else should I be looking at.
Thank you

BTW, this used to be a very active thread. I wonder why it seemed to have died off.
I have no idea why it seems to have died, maybe people are content about the bike. If there was something to complain it would be human nature to do so :lol:

I like the ex1 and only a single chain snapped so far. Full sus is comfortable also on the normal road, which you will appreciate if you get older. In terms of flexing, yes, every fs mtb will have this but it doesn't bother me. Pricier components usually offer better quality so that is up to you. In terms of frame sizing and the wheels, these things are individual/personal preference but clearly indicate to Frey your wishes. Try to find a similar bike to test the geometry, what I found is that the total bike length is quite long due to the long chainstay. I'm about 5'11" and 150 lbs and got the M frame size, which is a bit small for me but I do not sit in the saddle often anyway and I wanted a small and manoeuvrable bike.

icehunter   1 mW

1 mW
Posts: 16
Joined: Dec 08 2017 5:07am

Re: My Bafang Ultra Mountain Bike! Frey AM1000

Post by icehunter » Jan 08 2019 7:36am

Has anybody tried the fat version of this bike that can give pro/con overview.
They now have the 2019 FREY full suspension fat bike FF1 ($2380+689 shipping) out, anybody tried out that bike?
They is also have a Fat - Hunter bike ($1980) but that one does not have full sus, so it´s not optimal.

In my country we have lots of snow and mountains to explore, and I am afraight that AM1000 with almost 3" tires has enough float in the snow compared with 4.5" in the fat version.

The AM1000 ($3120+570 shipping) is now well tested, and Frey has been responsive in updating and modifying the bike. So with the AM1000 you are pretty much certain of what you are going to get, but I have not found any reviews of the Frey fat version.

Also, Frey seems a bit expensive at almost $4000 compared to other producers at Ali, and even compared to European producers when factoring in customs etc.

Marmalade   10 mW

10 mW
Posts: 23
Joined: Jun 27 2018 6:49pm

Re: My Bafang Ultra Mountain Bike! Frey AM1000

Post by Marmalade » Jan 09 2019 8:37pm

to be honest I'm competely disgusted by the AM1000 and Frey at the moment.

2 pedals stripped on the left crank (until i finally figured the left and right cranks were installed on the wrong side!) Paid a few hundred to get these fixed and also buy a new one from Frey.

Ultra motor has started stripping teeth from the clutch, even though it rarely goes above eco 3.

Rear free hub has completely destroyed itself in the same way.

Not freys fault but the thumb controllers plastic cover keeps getting caught on loose branches & has been ripped off twice now. Must relocate or replace when I buy a new one eventually.

So now I have a useless AU$5000 bike sitting in the garage with no easy or cheap solution to fix it.
Frey has been extremely slow responding to emails offering help. So far supply (same crappy) hub for the wheel and I pay a store to re-lace the wheel out of my own pocket. These two items are almost a quarter of the bikes cost to buy (google them) so I'm not expecting any further help. It's almost a decisive moment to scrap it rather than fix it. Ridiculous for a bike that's done less than 500kms.

Now wish I just forked out and bought a specialised/merida, with local support and warranty.

bugnut   100 µW

100 µW
Posts: 7
Joined: Oct 05 2018 4:06pm

Re: My Bafang Ultra Mountain Bike! Frey AM1000

Post by bugnut » Jan 10 2019 5:53pm

Wow Marmalade I am sorry to hear about the problems that you are having with the Frey AM1000. This is one of my biggest fears. Support from the manufacturer is critical. I was really stoked about this bike and now may have to go back to searching.
I guess you can say that I will be watching to see how this turns out.
Best of luck.

FREYebikes   100 W

100 W
Posts: 114
Joined: Dec 20 2017 11:52pm

Re: My Bafang Ultra Mountain Bike! Frey AM1000

Post by FREYebikes » Jan 10 2019 8:49pm

Hi,

Usually I answer within 1-3 hours in our working time and if not my working time, I will answer within 24 hours.
Sorry to answer you late these days. because it is really a little busy to myself.
We are using a better hub now than earlier one, it is from QUANTO, Taiwan brand.
I have answered you 2 emails yesterday and waiting for your confirmation. I have offered you solution by sending a replacement rear wheel with new hub. hope it is OK. And we can send you tomorrow if got your confirmation.
Anyone else we have any problem please feel free contact at the first time. we are always here to support you. only some special time I can't handle email quickly. in case any urgent request, if email can't answer immediately. you can call me directly: +0086 130 5897 1531

By the way, one more point improved on AM1000, now we are adding chain keeper that protect the chain better without off from the crank wheel.
See a picture below:
IMG_20190103_143103.jpg
We are always keeping improving in more details to make the bike better and better.
And some new models are under developing for 2019 year coming spring!
Such as full suspension fat bike which is big demand in North America market and so on.

Happy new 2019 and best wishes from Ivy!

Marmalade wrote:
Jan 09 2019 8:37pm
to be honest I'm competely disgusted by the AM1000 and Frey at the moment.

2 pedals stripped on the left crank (until i finally figured the left and right cranks were installed on the wrong side!) Paid a few hundred to get these fixed and also buy a new one from Frey.

Ultra motor has started stripping teeth from the clutch, even though it rarely goes above eco 3.

Rear free hub has completely destroyed itself in the same way.

Not freys fault but the thumb controllers plastic cover keeps getting caught on loose branches & has been ripped off twice now. Must relocate or replace when I buy a new one eventually.

So now I have a useless AU$5000 bike sitting in the garage with no easy or cheap solution to fix it.
Frey has been extremely slow responding to emails offering help. So far supply (same crappy) hub for the wheel and I pay a store to re-lace the wheel out of my own pocket. These two items are almost a quarter of the bikes cost to buy (google them) so I'm not expecting any further help. It's almost a decisive moment to scrap it rather than fix it. Ridiculous for a bike that's done less than 500kms.

Now wish I just forked out and bought a specialised/merida, with local support and warranty.

bugnut   100 µW

100 µW
Posts: 7
Joined: Oct 05 2018 4:06pm

Re: My Bafang Ultra Mountain Bike! Frey AM1000

Post by bugnut » Jan 11 2019 9:08pm

FREYebikes wrote:
Jan 10 2019 8:49pm
Hi,

Usually I answer within 1-3 hours in our working time and if not my working time, I will answer within 24 hours.
Sorry to answer you late these days. because it is really a little busy to myself.
We are using a better hub now than earlier one, it is from QUANTO, Taiwan brand.
I have answered you 2 emails yesterday and waiting for your confirmation. I have offered you solution by sending a replacement rear wheel with new hub. hope it is OK. And we can send you tomorrow if got your confirmation.
Anyone else we have any problem please feel free contact at the first time. we are always here to support you. only some special time I can't handle email quickly. in case any urgent request, if email can't answer immediately. you can call me directly: +0086 130 5897 1531

By the way, one more point improved on AM1000, now we are adding chain keeper that protect the chain better without off from the crank wheel.
See a picture below:
IMG_20190103_143103.jpg

We are always keeping improving in more details to make the bike better and better.
And some new models are under developing for 2019 year coming spring!
Such as full suspension fat bike which is big demand in North America market and so on.

Happy new 2019 and best wishes from Ivy!

Marmalade wrote:
Jan 09 2019 8:37pm
to be honest I'm competely disgusted by the AM1000 and Frey at the moment.

2 pedals stripped on the left crank (until i finally figured the left and right cranks were installed on the wrong side!) Paid a few hundred to get these fixed and also buy a new one from Frey.

Ultra motor has started stripping teeth from the clutch, even though it rarely goes above eco 3.

Rear free hub has completely destroyed itself in the same way.

Not freys fault but the thumb controllers plastic cover keeps getting caught on loose branches & has been ripped off twice now. Must relocate or replace when I buy a new one eventually.

So now I have a useless AU$5000 bike sitting in the garage with no easy or cheap solution to fix it.
Frey has been extremely slow responding to emails offering help. So far supply (same crappy) hub for the wheel and I pay a store to re-lace the wheel out of my own pocket. These two items are almost a quarter of the bikes cost to buy (google them) so I'm not expecting any further help. It's almost a decisive moment to scrap it rather than fix it. Ridiculous for a bike that's done less than 500kms.

Now wish I just forked out and bought a specialised/merida, with local support and warranty.

Well this is encouraging!

Anyone else care to share their experiences with this bike, both pro and con?
Thanks

Marmalade   10 mW

10 mW
Posts: 23
Joined: Jun 27 2018 6:49pm

Re: My Bafang Ultra Mountain Bike! Frey AM1000

Post by Marmalade » Jan 15 2019 4:58am

Update.

Frey (Ivy) seemed to be on vacation so her responses were slower than usual. The issue with the wheel has been sorted out and I am trying to work out the clutch problems directly with Bafang (getting the part directly seems to be a nightmare however!).

Frey would probably help in this regard but would need the entire motor packed up and returned for a warranty claim (at significant postage cost).

It's still annoying at the downtime my bike has experienced but Freys service has been pretty good considering. The bike/motor simply needs beefier components to handle the immense torque the ultra puts out,and will be interesting to see how reliable the Quando hubs are.

Post Reply