Sur-Ron - New Mid drive Bike

Honda Cub with Sur Ron like drive train. Golden Motor 3000B. ASI 2000W controller. 60v 32ah battery. Second build will be converted alternator and used 18650 from power tools. This is for food delivery drivers like Uber Eats.

Attachments

• 1930_1547946361018 (1).jpeg
    1930_1547946361018 (1).jpeg
    63.2 KB · Views: 2,859
  • 1939_1548288353443.jpeg
    1939_1548288353443.jpeg
    239.2 KB · Views: 2,859
More pics. Battery will be similar to Shanghai Custom. Final Product will have controller where the gas tank is and a second battery option will be in front of the motor. The ASI 2000 is much smaller and easier to place at the bottom of the gas tank cavity. A side car is being added for larger payload and stability for winter use for food delivery drivers. Maybe 2 wheel drive.

Attachments

• 1946_1548296384412.jpeg
    1946_1548296384412.jpeg
    52.9 KB · Views: 2,625
  • Honda-eCub-A-Honda-Cub-Electric-Conversion-Kit-Parts.jpg
    Honda-eCub-A-Honda-Cub-Electric-Conversion-Kit-Parts.jpg
    144.9 KB · Views: 2,623
  • 2086_1550277485454.jpeg
    2086_1550277485454.jpeg
    67.1 KB · Views: 2,392
ebikeguy123 said:
Honda Cub with Sur Ron like drive train. Golden Motor 3000B. ASI 2000W controller. 60v 32ah battery. Second build will be converted alternator and used 18650 from power tools. This is for food delivery drivers like Uber Eats.

How does the handling and offroadability compare?

Offroader said:
I couldn't find much information or conflicting information on the fastace BDA53RC rear shock, was it was designed for a motorcycle or bicycle?. For some reason the suspension seems really good on the Sur-Ron and made me believe that perhaps it used a motorcycle rear shock.

I did find on their PDF catalog, listing all their suspension components, and the shock is actually designed for a bicycle. It is on a small part of the page with their other DH fork and bicycle shocks. I guess this confirms it is a bicycle shock and must be tuned for a bicycle and not a heavier motorcycle.

Then the question remains if I put on a high end rear shock like the FOX DHX2, will that actually make a noticeable difference in the suspension? It is hard to imagine it will, but supposedly these high end shocks are suppose to be much better than a cheap shock like the fastace BDA53RC.

Vv14jzF.jpg

I've also got my eye on this DVO emerald fork which I think may be the best fork out there right now for an ebike. I wouldn't pay $1700 for this, but I would possibly pick it up for around $1000-$1200 if it went on sale.

4BgllmJ.jpg

I have Fox 40 and DHX2 10.5 x 3.5. Saint M820 brakes. Deity 80mm rise handlebars. Makes for a much smother ride and better handling. Gets rid of a few pounds as well. My back feels a lot better after a long ride.

Attachments

• 1939_1548288353443.jpeg
    1939_1548288353443.jpeg
    239.2 KB · Views: 2,839
Tommm said:
ebikeguy123 said:

How does the handling and offroadability compare?

Its not really intended to be off road. It is full suspension and can handle rough roads.... but ....the goal is an urban utility vehicle with the power performance of a Sur Ron. Sur Ronda. Estimated $3000 retail. $1800 or less for the refurbished battery and converted alternator version. Handles like a Honda cub 125cc but with with more torque. Pedal kit and limited to 32kmh 48v 20ah version for sub $1000 retail. We have 50 Honda cubs from Japan that we are converting for first batch.

ebikeguy123 said:
Offroader said:
I couldn't find much information or conflicting information on the fastace BDA53RC rear shock, was it was designed for a motorcycle or bicycle?. For some reason the suspension seems really good on the Sur-Ron and made me believe that perhaps it used a motorcycle rear shock.

I did find on their PDF catalog, listing all their suspension components, and the shock is actually designed for a bicycle. It is on a small part of the page with their other DH fork and bicycle shocks. I guess this confirms it is a bicycle shock and must be tuned for a bicycle and not a heavier motorcycle.

Then the question remains if I put on a high end rear shock like the FOX DHX2, will that actually make a noticeable difference in the suspension? It is hard to imagine it will, but supposedly these high end shocks are suppose to be much better than a cheap shock like the fastace BDA53RC.

Vv14jzF.jpg

I've also got my eye on this DVO emerald fork which I think may be the best fork out there right now for an ebike. I wouldn't pay $1700 for this, but I would possibly pick it up for around $1000-$1200 if it went on sale.

4BgllmJ.jpg

I have Fox 40 and DHX2 10.5 x 3.5. Saint M820 brakes. Deity 80mm rise handlebars. Makes for a much smother ride and better handling. Gets rid of a few pounds as well. My back feels a lot better after a long ride.

Nice upgrade!

Tom

litespeed said:
ebikeguy123 said:
Offroader said:

Vv14jzF.jpg

4BgllmJ.jpg

Nice upgrade!

Tom

Thanks. I found it well worth the money. It was definitely a noticeable improvement. Now with better handling... Next upgrade is a 10.5 kW Bosch motor with higher density cells and ASI 8000 controller. Ive already blown up 2 Sur Ron motors with larger controllers. Looks like the Bosch motors used in motorcycles are the same as the stop start alternators... also used for mild hybrids. Go to time stamp 5:39 of this vid to see the motor https://youtu.be/4k5TDZ6irG4

Im looking into adding batteries and kit from Bosch to my Audi Q5 TDI to make it into a plug in hybrid. It has the same Bosch alternator/motor.

ebikeguy123 said:
litespeed said:
ebikeguy123 said:
Offroader said:

Vv14jzF.jpg

4BgllmJ.jpg

Nice upgrade!

Tom

Thanks. I found it well worth the money. It was definitely a noticeable improvement. Now with better handling... Next upgrade is a 10.5 kW Bosch motor with higher density cells and ASI 8000 controller. Ive already blown up 2 Sur Ron motors with larger controllers. Looks like the Bosch motors used in motorcycles are the same as the stop start alternators... also used for mild hybrids. Go to time stamp 5:39 of this vid to see the motor https://youtu.be/4k5TDZ6irG4

Im looking into adding batteries and kit from Bosch to my Audi Q5 TDI to make it into a plug in hybrid. It has the same Bosch alternator/motor.

Where you guys are sourcing Sur Ron motors without the complete bike? I heard they will sell drivetrain systems but never found a store to buy.

trazor said:
ebikeguy123 said:
litespeed said:
ebikeguy123 said:

Nice upgrade!

Tom

Where you guys are sourcing Sur Ron motors without the complete bike? I heard they will sell drivetrain systems but never found a store to buy.

Luna has them

ebikeguy123 said:

The qs 3kw mid drive seems to handle a lot more power than the sur ron motor then. There are builds with 15-21kw battery amps with it.

ebikeguy123 said:

Where did you find the motor/alternator for sale available?

Thanks

upgrade is a 10.5 kW Bosch motor with higher density cells and ASI 8000 controller. Ive already blown up 2 Sur Ron motors with larger controllers. Looks like the Bosch motors used in motorcycles are the same as the stop start alternators... also used for mild hybrids. Go to time stamp 5:39 of this vid to see the motor https://youtu.be/4k5TDZ6irG4

How did you blow up 2 sur ron motors, what exactly broke? Did you have a temp probe in the motor or did you run the motor with none?

If you had a temp probe and the windings did not go above say 130c, is it still possible to damage the sur ron motors?

Like I said before you will easily overheat this motor as it lacks air flow. You just can't slap on a more powerful controller and start running this thing like a dirt bike, you will over heat it.

The motor is going to need better cooling if you plan on running this with more power as the sur ron motor is surrounded and looks to block most air flow. You will also need to open the motor up and attach a temp probe if using more watts than stock to make sure it does not go over 120c.

That Bosch motor you linked looks huge, is it really so wide as shown in the video? Will it fit in the sur ron?

Tommm said:
ebikeguy123 said:

The qs 3kw mid drive seems to handle a lot more power than the sur ron motor then. There are builds with 15-21kw battery amps with it.

Thanks for the suggestion on using a Qs 3kw. my goal is to use automotive start/ stop alternator motors. the volume they are made in brings the price down and they are easier to buy. I just go to the local automotive parts supplier and buy one.

Offroader said:
upgrade is a 10.5 kW Bosch motor with higher density cells and ASI 8000 controller. Ive already blown up 2 Sur Ron motors with larger controllers. Looks like the Bosch motors used in motorcycles are the same as the stop start alternators... also used for mild hybrids. Go to time stamp 5:39 of this vid to see the motor https://youtu.be/4k5TDZ6irG4

How did you blow up 2 sur ron motors, what exactly broke? Did you have a temp probe in the motor or did you run the motor with none?

overheated.

If you had a temp probe and the windings did not go above say 130c, is it still possible to damage the sur ron motors?

I was abusing it and it was in the tropics in 90 degree weather.

Like I said before you will easily overheat this motor as it lacks air flow. You just can't slap on a more powerful controller and start running this thing like a dirt bike, you will over heat it.

i agree. Thats why im using the Golden Motor 3000b fan cooled for the Honda Cub project.

The motor is going to need better cooling if you plan on running this with more power as the sur ron motor is surrounded and looks to block most air flow. You will also need to open the motor up and attach a temp probe if using more watts than stock to make sure it does not go over 120c.

The Bosch is very well vented.

That Bosch motor you linked looks huge, is it really so wide as shown in the video? Will it fit in the sur ron?

Im modifying the Sur Ron Firefly frame to accommodate the Bosch. This is just for fun to see what can be done. The stock X Sur Ron has more than enough power in the bush... and with a ASI 4000 or 8000 is a handfull to drive.

The goal is to use one motor for my projects in Africa and other tropical areas as well as a mild hybrid kit and full electric vehicles.

litespeed said:
ebikeguy123 said:

Where did you find the motor/alternator for sale available?

Thanks

The Golden Motor 8000b air cooled you can find online. It looks to be the same motor that Sur Ron used for the early models.

The Bosch you can buy at an automotive shop. They are used as start/ stop alternators. It requires modifications to the sur son frame to make it work though. Not an easy bolt on or bracket.

Has anyone tried upgrading the early model Sur Rons with the fan air cooled Golden Motor 8000b? Does it work better than the non fan motor used now in Sur Ron when you upgrade controller?

ebikeguy123 said:
Offroader said:

overheated.

i agree. Thats why im using the Golden Motor 3000b fan cooled for the Honda Cub project.

Im modifying the Sur Ron Firefly frame to accommodate the Bosch. This is just for fun to see what can be done. The stock X Sur Ron has more than enough power in the bush... and with a ASI 4000 or 8000 is a handfull to drive.

The goal is to use one motor for my projects in Africa and other tropical areas as well as a mild hybrid kit and full electric vehicles.

The idea is to see if i can make the Sur Ron into more of a motorbike. A Zreo but in a smaller and less expensive package.

We are using swapable battery packs on demand for campus environments and food delivery drivers. That keeps the costs down and no waiting for batteries to charge. That way you dont have to have large expensive batteries.

ebikeguy123 said:
ebikeguy123 said:
Offroader said:

overheated.

The idea is to see if i can make the Sur Ron into more of a motorbike. A Zreo but in a smaller and less expensive package.

We are using swapable battery packs on demand for campus environments and food delivery drivers. That keeps the costs down and no waiting for batteries to charge. That way you dont have to have large expensive batteries. We rent the vehicles and provide a battery rental and delivery service.

Tommm said:
ebikeguy123 said:

i wonder if the extra weight from the motor on the swing arm is an issue with suspension and handling? If you make the trailing arms telescopic to accommodate different motorbike frames and wheel sizes... then possibly an answer to retrofitting a lot of used motorbikes... VERY interesting. Thank u. The Sur Ron White Ghost also has the motor in the swing arm. Leaves more room for battery and maybe better weight distribution?

Attachments

• HTB1ruJ5QFXXXXaTaXXXq6xXFXXXb.jpg
    HTB1ruJ5QFXXXXaTaXXXq6xXFXXXb.jpg
    128.2 KB · Views: 3,363
  • 170618-80.jpg
    170618-80.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 3,363
efMX Trials Electric Freeride said:
saw a couple of interesting things on the inner webs..

Sur-Ron with wider rear swingarm and other mods from sur-ron-italia.it :

sur_ron_italia_article_9-550x370.jpg

sur_ron_italia_article_3-498x370.jpg

sur_ron_italia_article_4-498x370.jpg

https://electricmotorcycles.news/sur-ron-italia-competizione-concept-by-gb-e-moto/

Nice! I was looking for a way to put a larger tire on the back.. i would prefer something that looks more like the original swing arm though.

ebikeguy123 said:
efMX Trials Electric Freeride said:
saw a couple of interesting things on the inner webs..

Sur-Ron with wider rear swingarm and other mods from sur-ron-italia.it :

sur_ron_italia_article_9-550x370.jpg

sur_ron_italia_article_3-498x370.jpg

sur_ron_italia_article_4-498x370.jpg

https://electricmotorcycles.news/sur-ron-italia-competizione-concept-by-gb-e-moto/

Nice! I was looking for a way to put a larger tire on the back.. i would prefer something that looks more like the original swing arm though.

since this wider swingarm is cnc milled, one could have it styled or color of choice..

it was a great idea of the builder to have the wider swingarm outside of the mainframe for wider tire fit while also strengthening the peg mounts area (a weak pt on stock bike).. and this concept could likely be replicated by skilled machinists anywhere..

Back