Yamaha Pw custom controller + battery

fixvid

1 W
Hi all,

I just found a older Haibike with Yamaha pw drive without battery and display at a very good price.

I would like to ask if anyone had experience about pairing a Yamaha motor (or any other brand bosch, shimano, etc) with a custom controller like kunteng.

My main doubt is the possibility to use the existing Torque Sensor with a kunteng controller. I'm just not sure what type of output does the Yamaha Torque Sensor have and if the kt controller would accept it. Or maybe using Casainho's open source firmware would help it.

The motor, cadence sensor and speed sensor could be used without too much fuss I think, only the Torque Sensor which possesses some challenge.

I am thinking also to raise the voltage a little bit, as the PW drive stops delivering torque at the upper range of cadence. Something like 11s or 12s should do the trick.

What bldc controller (possibly kunteng) would be recommend for around 500w with Torque signal processing?

Cheers,
Cristian

Maybe you can ask on the OpenSource firmware for KT thread...

I've done it, seems to work pretty well on the Haibike sduro. Once I removed the controller I had to bypass the discharge port on the bms for it to run. The wiring configuration for the 1500W KT controller is to swap the Y and G phases, and with the Grinfineon 35A controller, either swap the G and B phases, or don't swap any phases but jump the black and white reverse cable together. I was able to use a 24 pole pedal assist sensor and with using the Cycle Analyst 3 I could adjust the pedal assist to behave in exactly how I wanted it to, by configuring the pas paramarers within the interface. I was not able to figure this out when trying to set it all up using the KTLCD3 interface with the kunteng controller. (Although definitely would be no problem if I was using one of thier 3-wire PAS sensors) the CA3 would be possible too on the KT controller, but the wires would just need to be run inside the box and soldered to their corresponding circuit traces (+,-, both sides of shunt, one phase and the throttle)
The bike seems to run pretty well, with a noticeable increase in speed and acceleration. (For reference)

I have the same bike (Haibike Sduro - my2016).
Would like to use another controller like Grinfineon or Phaserunner.
My question is:
What do you mean with "bypass the discharge port on the bms"?
If I remember correctly when I had a problem with the display and removed the motor/battery for testing, I think there were four wires from the battery to the controller (not only red/black - +/-).
If you bypass the "discharge port" (the wires going from battery to controller) did this affect the way you charge the OEM battery?
I would very much like to get rid of the *very* expensive battery and replace it when a quality 48v from em3ev if possible. Would yield a good boost I believe. :wink:

Never mind, I found the answer on my question above in another thread.

I would rather have changed the "inside" (cells and BMS) if the Yamaha/Bosch are that proprietary (and as I understood from the other trhead Pwnlord187 have only the Haibike Sduro frame left now) :)

This leads me to rethink my own plan on "violating" the Yamaha motor/battery setup on my Haibike Sduro.

Probably only interesting if I want to find out what the Yamaha motor can do without being restricted.

fixvid said:
Hi all,

I just found a older Haibike with Yamaha pw drive without battery and display at a very good price.

I would like to ask if anyone had experience about pairing a Yamaha motor (or any other brand bosch, shimano, etc) with a custom controller like kunteng.

My main doubt is the possibility to use the existing Torque Sensor with a kunteng controller. I'm just not sure what type of output does the Yamaha Torque Sensor have and if the kt controller would accept it. Or maybe using Casainho's open source firmware would help it.

The motor, cadence sensor and speed sensor could be used without too much fuss I think, only the Torque Sensor which possesses some challenge.

I am thinking also to raise the voltage a little bit, as the PW drive stops delivering torque at the upper range of cadence. Something like 11s or 12s should do the trick.

What bldc controller (possibly kunteng) would be recommend for around 500w with Torque signal processing?

Cheers,
Cristian

Dear Cristian

I found the bike same as you, without controller.
Did you found the alternative controller?

Thanks

Uiui

Hi uiui85,

I didn't bought that bike in the end, I started making my own ebikes.

If you want a good controller just use a Vesc. I think the torque sensor can also be adapted with a little tinkering.

fixvid said:
Hi uiui85,

If you want a good controller just use a Vesc. I think the torque sensor can also be adapted with a little tinkering.
I'm interested to see how you going to implement a torque sensor.
Here is my build:https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=90432&hilit=avian
Avian with the battery installed.JPG

Ecyclist said:
fixvid said:
Hi uiui85,

Here is my build:https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=90432&hilit=avian

If you can get the drive to lineup you can run one chain wheel and chain then use the idler for torque sensing. Like Rocky Mountain has done.

Grantmac said:
Ecyclist said:
fixvid said:
Hi uiui85,

If you can get the drive to lineup you can run one chain wheel and chain then use the idler for torque sensing. Like Rocky Mountain has done.
Yes, I've seen that. However, I would like to have a throttle on my bike, so getting these two options working together in VESC can be tricky. Someone used teensy for something like that, but not exactly.
I'm counting on you to figure this out. :wink:
Most of people are full of hot air. I hope that you are more than that.
We will see soon enough. :D
Merry Christmas!

Ecyclist said:
Just as I predicted NOTHING.

You talking to me? Because I have no plans to build anything specific at this time.
I may do a HrKlev style lightweight build with a few twists but nothing firm yet, I'm waiting to see if the "Lightest" drive will do what I want.

HrKlev said:
CYC x1 torque sensor and freewheel + Cycle Analyst. This combo will let you run a torque sensor on most chain drive mid drive setups. And throttle. Check my sig for a couple builds if interested.
Thank you for the reply, but I'm only interested in using VESC with throttle and torque sensor.
I have another e-bike with a GNG kit, pedalec + throttle + CA V3.
I don't want to use CA.

Back