Carbon Fiber e bike with Bafang M 600 mid installed with throttle

Discussions related to motors other than hub motors.
This includes R/C motors, botttom bracket, roller and geared drives.
Eddy Current   10 mW

10 mW

Re: Carbon Fiber e bike with Bafang M 600 mid installed with throttle

Post by Eddy Current » Jun 12 2019 10:08pm

And speaking in general (sorry if this is not the thread) but I’m the only one that found a lack in fs ebikes/frames for xc riding? I know xc “spirit” is not the same that enduro but road is even more “physichal” than xc and there’s a lot of road ebikes

I don’t know a eBike with native xc geometry, genuine 29er frame, 100/120 FS

Again sorry if this is off topic

El_Topo   100 mW

100 mW

Post by El_Topo » Jun 13 2019 12:18am

Animalector wrote:
Jun 12 2019 7:18pm
the issue is chainline... to get the chain past the big fat tires you need to move the motor out-ward, but since the motor is only 'so-wide' you end up shifting the whole thing to the drive side, which is a problem on the non-drive side...

might be possible but I don't think you can just drop in a new rear triangle.

Andy
Thanks for the reply, Andy.

Chainline isn't that much of an issue on a fat bike as it is made out to be . You basically need two things to move it outwards to 65 or 75mm while still keeping the motor centered:
- a spider that pushes the chain line out by X amount
- cranks with a high offset which clear the chain (and chain stays).

All current the electric fat bikes do this (though in a terrible way with a resulting Q-factor of around 230mm) with a "normal" width motor, or its spindle to be more precise (Bosch, Yamaha, Bafang Ultra) not wider than the M600, so I consider this issue more or less solved whereas I still have no idea if you can just weld (or bolt in the case of a full suspension bike) a wider and longer rear triangle to a frame... :?:
Last edited by El_Topo on Jun 13 2019 8:21am, edited 2 times in total.

Eddy Current   10 mW

10 mW

Post by Eddy Current » Jun 13 2019 5:56am

El_Topo wrote:
Jun 13 2019 12:18am
so I consider this issue more or less s I still have no idea if you can just weld a wider and longer rear triangle to a frame... :?:
Well you definitely cannot do it on hardtail.

But if you do a new one on CF it’s going to be expensive. In my case for 3.8 tires I don’t see too much to alter the geometry of the frame but for 4.6 like you want might be different story