TSDZ2 bridge plate/non-rotation bracket options

crowber

1 mW
Hey I'm new!

I'm putting a TSDZ2 on a women's electra townie, and I'm wondering what to do about the bracket that keeps the motor from rotating up into the frame.
bridgeplate.png

The townie doesn't fork out like that so there's no place to put the bolt in-between. It's just a single tube coming out the back of the bottom bracket. Just curious what my options are and what other people have done in these circumstances. bottombracket.jpg

I've been reading the TSDZ2 thread but it's 200 pages sooo... :)

Thanks for any advice!

Quite a few people on here have fitted the motor without the bracket. I have done this. Motor positioned to just touch the frame where it would naturally rotate to. I have put a piece of neoprene self adhesive sponge rubber in between.

Okay, that's easy. Do you find that the motor is still trying to press into the rubber pad or is it held tight enough in the bottom bracket that the rubber is just more for absorbing vibration?

I have a similar situation with my Trek Transporter cargo bike. I screwed in the bolt that holds the clamp piece to the motor, without the clamp piece. Then I ran a stainless steel hose clamp around the frame behind the bottom bracket, but didn't tighten it. I then ran two or three small stainless steel clamps around the bolt and the larger hose clamp circling the frame. Then tightened them all up. I've only ridden it about 30 miles since I did that, but seems to be holding so far. If that's not clear enough I'll try to get a picture.

Yeah, pics would be great. I liked the solution in this video (at about 1:30). But not sure if that will work on mine.
https://youtu.be/wSNe89D_cC4?t=89

I still need to get everything off my bike so I get the motor in there and see what my options will be. I bought a 1.5" rubber coupling from the plumbing section that might work to protect the frame if I end up just rotating the motor up. But I also still wonder if there is a good way to fasten it in back. Thanks for all the input so far! I've got some stuff to try.

Yeah, that torque collar seems like a good idea. Not sure how you get it tight, though.

Right in the center is the clamp that goes around the frame. You can sorta make out the tightening screw.
XxUAGbk2qBseVscYM-RoMj_zHe_HkAi-_FbMjHi3xw3i_C0RMGdpx_HlZvimNy9Xc_yuu74mj3gpsvdTkBPAd-K3drh55qfZwFzUol5V98H6PRPKI4N4EoXe6BcAUdnsicnDtENz0S46eNDBbSfVz92N_FcsG0qX8ugU-wJQsE9X_Nl8dNOjm-9M6BMShjvOllNmd_Sk4VYfZh6CJOq_9v27718DxHdZn33VLqccWRhO6hl8yf0hBdNUUTXiBS5dZFuztL76HypHmB-CaFUTGvIuaMvPY8TYfO10MbTp8hOPzkNL3bkmyCmkf4qr5ZI199u4XAOKXuzTvi7_1BXA2z5AidPMq5C3Xte--_1ByUDZGiwG8fa8E3VK_JvZubpfYpp8I2t8BPcnRTAZDpN3-uGgUgwTb3SgY3bZASi6PTslfEat95kxqe9sSxI-qEHyD_uzQv-nw6db-ROhkWCFlHiWK8F_zFrv6TLygHlPoS16X-0wjP8xCcHN691Y-Co5-RgpmczP5DyIu0tOZanZNMzCb9UVOXS3poskcoAVlriTzETDBw1OnjwdsycE-tq5FC2-G8qxHM4x4Mion6Akp_LmPMubuY_mqsbsYOaokqSV7ON7yfC5kbEFwzVhSn1vR5wEj9WxytEfjq-gtl4Cewi2mM8W2XA=w672-h896-no

In this you can see one of the small clamps that wraps around the tsdz2 screw and the frame clamp, with its tightening screw to the rigth and pointed downward.
OlbOPVedl3tSQocyi88-HGMQJdpxcGJA6CWiKI6-A50ZtSR1ztTJ1G9pjIPG8y3FHEKPJr9C_dXdMbxiLNDLZDsGEAf9QSSSw2YSjqoVBMq6fOz6BOa2PZ3MxTtNl9vi_xt1JzQ5aPmomVDYxyk1gRNTgkwg-_ePX-FnXW7rN4fVeGsFobSCV4-w--6OFYB4gqj-GYbrXqBF-eU5DEZV3yaLRnIcIBH9KriCQiMjgOOIfbp-c4NZnClCDeoN2NzMS0UfyZc2MFsaezFewaCMTOkyC3dDtTCd6bYqV5FbPahvNe7kYiBv5t1U22zoQO1WuTzLa3QT-ZQ3PYOpDbwmWTwEy965uoDp7DnFv9d-xwq6AGv3iEY0KO8eKrBmMZ71rlDiO37dnm8PfuonUrGYEi76ansVCVX6PLh4D7dQ4kZAExuBxhzdAXTRSpvafl5JEEmW56Dat3lcmzGywqimy0qsppsUGJBUYmmTcUyHRrDXiMlPe4X-9KTIbtq2gm3C5MkWU2ljQrfwI2EncIviUQKFAaY3ftzQlUffVlbDWmIePRUfznK3CZGWaygqGX1bDnN_VSYPeAmqgX65j_BnaQayFhuIufLT9soUDgGBrivc8tXdYStWidnBBOFA8uyjERHrnkrkAomxkHduJhdpTfwn_B2fc-Q=w672-h896-no

Okay, I totally didn't need to worry about this as much as I thought. I used the chunk of rubber between the frame and the motor strategy and rotated it up and forward and this seems to work just fine. The only issue that seems to come from this rotation is putting the wires (as they come out of the motor) a bit closer to the chain, and gives you a bit less slack for connecting things, but as long as you're mindful of that and cinch them out of the way it's okay.

Back