Changing pinion gear bearing in a BBS02

So, I had a major malfunction with my BBS02 a month ago. I replaced the worn, secondary reduction gear and that still didn't change the issue. That being the motor not being able to run properly when using either regular pedaling, or pedal-assist.

The next thing I'm about to replace would be the nylon gear and the possibly worn bearing in there. On top of that, I'm putting in a new pinion gear bearing. I removed the pinion gear bearing using light hammer taps and a blunt screwdriver to push the bearing out. Now to get it back in. I'm deadlocked on that one.

if it still runs normally when using throttle, then it's probably not mechanical.

unfortuantely i don't know enough about the insides of the bbsxx systems to help with the mechanicals, but there are some threads about replacing various parts, that may have info you can use. might have to poke around though.

Even when the throttle is being used, there's still mechanical resistance. Lots of grinding coming from the motor. I did take out the nylon main drive gear that gets spun by the main shaft gear coming from the motor winding. The one way bearing in the nylon gear didn't seem to be fully cooperating.
Unfortunately, not too many people have them out here in this area, let alone bicycle use in general. So I'm kind of on my own.

dunno if it helps but you could check these;
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/search.php?keywords=bbs*+pinion*&terms=all&author=&sc=1&sf=all&sr=posts&sk=t&sd=d&st=0&ch=300&t=0&submit=Search
it's a lot o posts but you could narrow the search down to just bbs02 if you like.

Well, I just hammered and man-handled everything back into place. Seems to be plenty of loners and lone-wolves who keep to themselves in here in regards to helping a brother out. Bothersome place.

bentstrider83 said:
Already used this. Not finding much in relation to the bearings install/removal.

I wud try a 1 or 2-ton arbor press. u can pick one up cheap at Harbor Freight and use a 3/8" or 1/2" drive socket as the die to press it in. Lubricate the side of the bearing with grease.

bentstrider83 said:
Well, I just hammered and man-handled everything back into place. Seems to be plenty of loners and lone-wolves who keep to themselves in here in regards to helping a brother out. Bothersome place.

Great way to get help. I failed to notice you before, but now I'll make a point of not noticing you. Good luck with that.

Don't bother, guy hasnt even logged in for 2 years. Best to put efforts towards next new guy. I am starting to use the Quick Links on the top left, Unanswered topics wouldnt have sufficed. Some posts just fall through the cracks.

Back