New build TSDZ2 not working

gavdxb

1 µW
Hi All

These seems to be a wealth of knowledge on the TSDZ2 on here!

I’ve just built my first ebike with a 48v, 750W TSDZ2.

I’m not getting any assistance while pedaling although walk assist does seem to be working.

I’m wondering whether my issue is that it is connected to a fully charged 52v 14ah battery. Can anyone give me a definitive answer as to whether this is combo is useable together?

Thanks

Yes that's your exact problem - the 48V motors will do this with a charged 52V battery. Will pootle along on walk assist, but won't assist when riding.

You really need the one of the FOSS firmwares that accepts higher voltage.

I'm not sure but I think you can tweak the factory firmware to raise the voltage limit - also would require a STLink adapter in which case you may as well just flash new firmware.

The last option is you can discharge your battery a bit (e.g. connect an incandescent lightbulb for a while) and once the voltage comes down it should work - I can't remember the threshold but it's above 52V. A fully charged 52V battery is somewhere around 58V I think.

There is also the option of getting and installing a 52v controller, that is what I did and it works fine, however the battery bars on the display don't work properly but I installed a watt meter to keep track of things.

I had this problem too, confirmed when I fitted the battery on 30 percent charge and it worked fine. Then charged it wouldn't work again. Iam in the process of trying to upgrade the firmware to get around this problem.

I’ve got a copy of stock firmware modified for 52v.

Now just need to work out how to upgrade it 😂

Thanks - are there any clear instructions on how to do this? I’ve got an STLink now and a modified version of the firmware to support 52v batteries.

I’ve root kitted Android phones and flashed custom firmware to things like routers so I guess this should be ol.

I just haven’t been able to find a set of step by step instructions. I haven’t actually just given it a go to see if its easy as the STLink didn’t arrive until late today.

jimmyfergus said:
Yes that's your exact problem - the 48V motors will do this with a charged 52V battery. Will pootle along on walk assist, but won't assist when riding.

I'm not sure but I think you can tweak the factory firmware to raise the voltage limit - also would require a STLink adapter in which case you may as well just flash new firmware.

Probably the best is the main FOSS firmware wiki: https://github.com/OpenSource-EBike-firmware/TSDZ2_wiki/wiki/Flash-the-firmware-on-TSDZ2 - the "connect directly" option is the easiest. Follow links from there.

gavdxb said:
Thanks - are there any clear instructions on how to do this? I’ve got an STLink now and a modified version of the firmware to support 52v batteries.

I’ve root kitted Android phones and flashed custom firmware to things like routers so I guess this should be ol.

I just haven’t been able to find a set of step by step instructions. I haven’t actually just given it a go to see if its easy as the STLink didn’t arrive until late today.

jimmyfergus said:

Changing the hex codes to "upgrade" the motor to 52v is really easy, but to swap firmware, do you have the right connectors and LCD? It requires either a lot of wire splicing or soldering depending on how you do it. If you already have a KT-LCD3 and all the bits then you can find that info on the Github wiki.

If you just want to change the hex code which takes about 5 mins compared to hours, just follow this guide: https://www.eco-ebike.com/blogs/eco-cycles-instructionals/tsdz2programmingfromscratch

You just need to change the one value and you will be gtg.

Well, there is the Maroq firmware (I have no experience with) that uses the default screen but the FOSS controller firmware. Similar to just raising the voltage limit, that's just a flashing job, with no alternate displays or soldering required.

Back