My Bafang Ultra Mountain Bike! NEW FREY EX and FREY CC

Discussions related to motors other than hub motors.
This includes R/C motors, botttom bracket, roller and geared drives.
NoFanBoiz   10 W

10 W

Re: My Bafang Ultra Mountain Bike! NEW FREY EX and FREY CC

Post by NoFanBoiz » May 29 2020 2:30am

jeron wrote:
May 29 2020 1:32am
The bike is an absolute dream (AM1000). I have a problem with the charger, the fan is making weird noises. I did wait for Frey to ressolve the issue first.
Great feedback, thanks!

FredYellow   1 mW

1 mW

Post by FredYellow » May 29 2020 2:38am

Do any of the Frey bikes come with COC? So they can be ridden legally in Europe?

brake034   10 W

10 W

Post by brake034 » May 29 2020 3:17am

FredYellow wrote:
May 29 2020 2:38am
Do any of the Frey bikes come with COC? So they can be ridden legally in Europe?
A COC should not a problem, we can investigate for you, should it be legalized by your embassy in China?

Do you want to go for a one off approval as Speed Pedelec? If so, for which country in Europe?
You can contact me at my e-mail: marcel at frey dot bike

Edit: let me revise this, a Certificate of Conformity for speed pedelecs for EU countries can be issued AFTER homologation, which process Frey has not started yet....... We are investigating the options and discuss this process with a 3rd party.

For any other European country this process is different en for Switzerland Frey's agent has the homologation and supplies all Frey models road legal.
Last edited by brake034 on May 29 2020 7:25am, edited 2 times in total.
FREY lifestyle: Free Ride Enjoy Yourself!

jeron   1 W

1 W

Post by jeron » May 29 2020 4:41am

NoFanBoiz wrote:
May 29 2020 2:30am
jeron wrote:
The bike is an absolute dream (AM1000). I have a problem with the charger, the fan is making weird noises. I did wait for Frey to ressolve the issue first.
Great feedback, thanks!
Yeah, no problem, i send it first to the wrong email adress apparently. While the Alibaba stays unanswered for too long, the email part was clearly my own mistake... thanks @Marchel for sending it to the @frey.bike one :)

Edit: why is the AM1000 topic locked? How do we unlock this? It's a great place for am1000 owners?

FredYellow   1 mW

1 mW

Post by FredYellow » May 29 2020 5:20am

brake034 wrote:
May 29 2020 3:17am
FredYellow wrote:
May 29 2020 2:38am
A COC should not a problem, we can investigate for you, should it be legalized by your embassy in China?

Do you want to go for a one off approval as Speed Pedelec? If so, for which country in Europe?
You can contact me at my e-mail: marcel at frey dot bike
Yes you can contact my embassy in China for this. I'm from Belgium.
The COC (Certificate of Conformity) will be the same for all countries in the EU, so if you do this once it should be good for all european customers.

I would be interested in the AM1000 registered as a speed pedelec.

brake034   10 W

10 W

Post by brake034 » May 29 2020 5:38am

FredYellow wrote:
May 29 2020 5:20am
The COC (Certificate of Conformity) will be the same for all countries in the EU, so if you do this once it should be good for all european customers. I would be interested in the AM1000 registered as a speed pedelec.
Ones we decide to start this process, it takes at least a year, as I wrote, we are discussing the possibilities with a 3rd party organization.

For now all Frey's in the EU are in the category: “Vehicles primarily designed for off road use and to travel on unpaved surfaces” which are explicitly excluded from type-approval. Now how a policeman reacts when you drive such a bike on the road on your way to unpaved surfaces.........

Hardcore   100 W

100 W

Post by Hardcore » May 29 2020 1:40pm

jeron wrote:
NoFanBoiz wrote:
May 28 2020 5:54pm
jeron wrote:
May 28 2020 1:37am
Somebody know whats up with Frey customer service. The response is horrible the last month or two.

I was very pleased the first month's with the response but now with a almost one year old bike it's really a bad experience:(

I don't like to publicly say that because i like them as a company, but it's a total disaster and i am getting frustrated.

Lots of Alibaba chat and mails to @frey with no responses...
In the interests of openness, transparency and for current and potential customers, any reason why you wouldn't mention if there is an issue with your bike and if so, what the issue with the bike is? Or maybe it's for a new order?
Did you try blowing into the fan of the charger or shake the charger? Sometimes dust collects or a particle of some sort. It might be better to put a vacuum cleaner on it to suck the debris out. Cheers

brake034   10 W

10 W

Post by brake034 » May 29 2020 10:26pm

There is a new Facebook Group for Frey Owners: https://www.facebook.com/groups/257350408708195/
All Frey owners are welcome and so are potential Frey owners :lol:

bugnut   10 mW

10 mW

Post by bugnut » May 29 2020 11:11pm

Hello all, I purchased a hi end AM 1000 last year and I am hoping to get some help from the members on this message board.
First I am looking to change my cranks from the stock 170mm to 160mm or maybe 150mm. I would also like to change the crank wheel from a 40t to a 46t and lastly I would like to get a new chain. My bike has the SRAM EX1 gears. Can I get some ideas from y'all on parts that work and fit my bike.
Thanks

jeron   1 W

1 W

Post by jeron » May 30 2020 2:08am

The Admins need to reopen the AM1000 topic, why are we getting punished for one idiot.

@Hardcore, yes i did just that. The noise keeps coming back.

brake034   10 W

10 W

Post by brake034 » May 30 2020 4:53am

jeron wrote:
May 30 2020 2:08am
The Admins need to reopen the AM1000 topic, why are we getting punished for one idiot.
Edit, the admins of this great platform resolved various issues with that thread and now unlocked it again.

We have to appreciate their hard work to keep this forum free from intolerable crap and reasonably on topic, it is not a small job....

bugnut   10 mW

10 mW

Post by bugnut » Jun 02 2020 7:44pm

bugnut wrote:
May 29 2020 11:11pm
Hello all, I purchased a hi end AM 1000 last year and I am hoping to get some help from the members on this message board.
First I am looking to change my cranks from the stock 170mm to 160mm or maybe 150mm. I would also like to change the crank wheel from a 40t to a 46t and lastly I would like to get a new chain. My bike has the SRAM EX1 gears. Can I get some ideas from y'all on parts that work and fit my bike.
Thanks
Does anyone have an answer? Does anyone see this?

Sinbord1981   100 W

100 W

Post by Sinbord1981 » Jun 03 2020 9:00am

bugnut wrote:
Jun 02 2020 7:44pm
bugnut wrote:
May 29 2020 11:11pm
Thanks
Does anyone have an answer? Does anyone see this?
Bugnut- get Miranda 160mm Q16 cold forged cranks. Spot on and perfect sizing to reduce ground strikes. For the chainring you want to get the Surly polished stainless steel 46T. That’s what I run and it’s spot on. It’s not NW but I’ve never had a dropped chain.

ChrisCrash   1 µW

1 µW

Ordering Woes using ACH transfer

Post by ChrisCrash » Jun 11 2020 10:01am

I tried to order 2 Frey EX Advanced bikes with some accessories totaling $8450. I paid via ACH transfer to a Citibank account in the US as per the Alibaba instructions. That was a week ago but Ivy claims that the payment has not been received. The problem might be that they indicate to use an ACH payment code of IAT but that was not on the Bank of America form that I filled out. I have given Ivy the ACH trace code that she can use to contact Citibank to find out what happened to the money but she seems unwilling to investigate this on her end. So I have initiated a recall on the transfer which may or may not succede and it takes up to 45 days to accomplished. Obviously I am not going to send any more money to Frey until this issue is resolved. If Ivy can locate the funds on her end then I can cancel the recall.

Has anyone else used ACH transfer to pay Frey?

ChrisCrash   1 µW

1 µW

Ordering Woes

Post by ChrisCrash » Jun 15 2020 8:57am

Frey finally received my payment. 10 days for an ACH transfer is ridiculous. I have asked why it took so long but have not been given an explanation. So I don't know whether it was my problem, my bank's problem, their bank's problem, Alibaba's problem, or Frey's problem.

So although Alibaba recommended ACH transfer as a fast and cheap payment method, I not not recommend it when paying Frey.
Last edited by ChrisCrash on Jun 19 2020 2:58pm, edited 1 time in total.

ChrisCrash   1 µW

1 µW

Post by ChrisCrash » Jun 19 2020 2:57pm

FYI. The Frey EX batteries have a DC 2.1 socket so there is no option for high amp charging. The charger supplied is 3a which will be rather slow to fill the 28ah batteries. I ended up ordering extra 3a chargers so I could charge each battery separately at the same time.

2Slow   10 mW

10 mW

Post by 2Slow » Jun 19 2020 4:50pm

ChrisCrash wrote:
Jun 19 2020 2:57pm
FYI. The Frey EX batteries have a DC 2.1 socket so there is no option for high amp charging. The charger supplied is 3a which will be rather slow to fill the 28ah batteries. I ended up ordering extra 3a chargers so I could charge each battery separately at the same time.
:lowbatt:
Depending on manufacturer, DC 2.1 is up to 5A, so you can plug more powerful aftermarket charger. Grin Satiator comes to mind. Or you can find transformer manufacturer in china, some of them do Li-Ion battery chargers with programmable outputs. At 3A, it will take 10 hours to recharge twin battery pack. This will aid battery lifespan, slow overnight charge. Two battery chargers will bring this down to 5 hours, still overnight event by my books.
Last edited by 2Slow on Jul 28 2020 3:42pm, edited 1 time in total.
Riding for fun

banshee28   1 mW

1 mW

Post by banshee28 » Jul 07 2020 9:02pm

Tom wrote:
Jan 02 2020 4:21pm
Davnic wrote:
Jan 01 2020 8:16pm
Rohloff hub with a gates belt drive I would be a buyer.
Not sure I could live with the noise of a Rohloff hub but FLX may have what you are looking for in the new Blade 2.0:

https://flx.bike/collections/bikes/products/blade-2-0

This is a very nice and exactly the drive setup that I am looking for! Belt drive and IGH! However I am wanting a FS since I will be using it for heavy trails and such. Is Frey or any company making a FS setup with a Belt drive and IGH for a decent price?
I would think the belt would be similar in price to the chain, would save a little without a dérailleur, then add a few hundred for the IGH? So add maybe a few hundred to the final price?
Maybe its more than that, but I would think this would be a very reliable and quiet driveline system! No chain issues, quiet and always perfectly lined up!
Any thoughts on this setup for a FS eMTB? :D

brake034   10 W

10 W

Post by brake034 » Jul 28 2020 12:23am

Frey's EX and CC are in the top 5 full suspension e-bikes summer 2020 according to Electrek: http://youtube.com/watch?v=9GlPtwgf8fA

brake034   10 W

10 W

Post by brake034 » Sep 18 2020 3:16am

AHicks   1 kW

1 kW

Post by AHicks » Sep 18 2020 8:02am

banshee28 wrote:
Jul 07 2020 9:02pm
Tom wrote:
Jan 02 2020 4:21pm
Davnic wrote:
Jan 01 2020 8:16pm
Rohloff hub with a gates belt drive I would be a buyer.
Not sure I could live with the noise of a Rohloff hub but FLX may have what you are looking for in the new Blade 2.0:

https://flx.bike/collections/bikes/products/blade-2-0

This is a very nice and exactly the drive setup that I am looking for! Belt drive and IGH! However I am wanting a FS since I will be using it for heavy trails and such. Is Frey or any company making a FS setup with a Belt drive and IGH for a decent price?
I would think the belt would be similar in price to the chain, would save a little without a dérailleur, then add a few hundred for the IGH? So add maybe a few hundred to the final price?
Maybe its more than that, but I would think this would be a very reliable and quiet driveline system! No chain issues, quiet and always perfectly lined up!
Any thoughts on this setup for a FS eMTB? :D
The belt drive has no tensioner (like the chain drive has) to take up the slack as the suspension arm moves through it's travel. You won't find much when searching for FS with belt drive. The reason tensioners don't work with the belt drive, to my understanding, is even without them, keeping enough tension on the belt to prevent "skipping" under hard throttle is already an issue without one!

scrambler   1 kW

1 kW

Post by scrambler » Sep 27 2020 6:30pm

AHicks wrote:
Sep 18 2020 8:02am
The belt drive has no tensioner (like the chain drive has) to take up the slack as the suspension arm moves through it's travel. You won't find much when searching for FS with belt drive. The reason tensioners don't work with the belt drive, to my understanding, is even without them, keeping enough tension on the belt to prevent "skipping" under hard throttle is already an issue without one!
This is no longer true, there are a number of full suspension bikes now using a gates carbon belt.
Below are a couple
https://www.r-m.de/en-us/bikes/superdelite-mountain/
https://www.hnf-nicolai.com/ebike/xf3-2/

Tom   1 kW

1 kW

Post by Tom » Sep 27 2020 11:50pm

Those are 250W nominal euro-spec motors so they can get away with it. From what I've read Gates spec does not allow for tensioner with higher powered motors, at least that's what Watt Wagons indicated. See this post by puskar on EBR:

https://electricbikereview.com/forums/t ... ost-256662

scrambler   1 kW

1 kW

Post by scrambler » Sep 28 2020 12:11am

Initially gates forbid ALL tensioners until riese and mueller decided to do it anyway and find that it worked fine.

When you see what belts can do and take in other usage scenarios, I still believe these belts have a lot of extra strength and that they could probably take it, but someone will have to try it against the gates recommendation to validate.

HerrDoktor   1 mW

1 mW

Post by HerrDoktor » Oct 20 2020 3:28am

I'm really struggling to get the battery out of my Frey EX.

Turn the key, regardless of which way I turn the "dial" on the frame it fails to move.

Does anyone have any tips?

Cheers