Frey AM1000 vol. 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

FlyingFinn

100 W
Welcome to join this thread on FREY AM1000 and FAT1000 models. Please let’s keep this thread clean from insults and threats to your fellow writers.

Why is the other topic closed?

I find it a shame, just because of some insults...
Don't think that gets solved with such actions.

Thank you for your new start.
I agree that we can keep this thread continue to go and keep information update.
We will alsokeep to post further FREY news here in case some one would like to learn about our news.
Thank you for all friends and customers' attention and support!

FlyingFinn said:
Welcome to join this thread on FREY AM1000 and FAT1000 models. Please let’s keep this thread clean from insults and threats to your fellow writers.

A quick poll: How long has your rear cassette stood up?

A:500kms/300miles
B:1000kms/600miles
C:5000kms/3000miles
D: More than that

Mine stood up only 500kms. 100% my own fault since was using the biggest gear and sport mode 5. A chain guide to upper side of the rear stanchion could be a good thing to try. The chain line in the FAT1000 goes pretty slanted when running biggest gear (smallest cog) which is typical to all fatbikes.

FlyingFinn said:
A quick poll: How long has your rear cassette stood up?

Yeah similar - 400 miles in and I had to replace the chain and cassette. I’ve since also changed the chainring from 40T to 46T and the rear cassette from 11-46t to 11-40t. The new set up is spot on for how and where I ride. I have also changed my riding style on my AM1000 to ‘wind it up’ through the gears when taking off, rather than just using the full torque of the motor in a high gear. The chainline is improved as well - much straighter and I’m mid-cassette more of the time rather than on the smaller cogs most of the time. I never really used the two biggest sprockets on the rear either.

I’ve just ordered a new pair of tyres as well - gone for the Michelin E-Wild 27.5 x 2.8. Nice and knobbly for some serious muddy off-Road fun in the next few weeks as we’re in winter here in the UK now and it’s been very wet.

Sinbord1981 said:
Yeah similar - 400 miles in and I had to replace the chain and cassette. I’ve since also changed the chainring from 40T to 46T and the rear cassette from 11-46t to 11-40t. The new set up is spot on for how and where I ride. I have also changed my riding style on my AM1000 to ‘wind it up’ through the gears when taking off, rather than just using the full torque of the motor in a high gear. The chainline is improved as well - much straighter and I’m mid-cassette more of the time rather than on the smaller cogs most of the time. I never really used the two biggest sprockets on the rear either.

I’ve just ordered a new pair of tyres as well - gone for the Michelin E-Wild 27.5 x 2.8. Nice and knobbly for some serious muddy off-Road fun in the next few weeks as we’re in winter here in the UK now and it’s been very wet.

Ordered a black Sunrace 11-42t cassette to replace my Shimano HG-500 11-42. Hopefully it would last longer than two weeks. I thought it through and most likely any chainguide on the pulling upper side will just bend. That won’t help either. Have to really think ways to fix the chainline into a more straight form...

I will install 27.5” 3.0” carbon wheelset as well for next summer. Had to order them custom built since hubs are 150 and 190mm. Total cost around 1k€.

Btw Xiamen Farsports sells really good quality carbon rims and wheelsets on AliExpress. Price is the same than with aluminium rims bought from Europe. Rigid as hell and not even much lighter than aluminium ones. Mine are i45 width and basically house a double carbon hull design. One on tire side and one on the spoke side. They’re basically two rims stacked on top of each other.

Will keep these 4.8”s for thaw and winter use.

FREYebikes said:
We will alsokeep to post further FREY news here in case some one would like to learn about our news.
Thank you for all friends and customers' attention and support!

Any chance of a Black Friday / Cyber Monday promotion from Frey? I'm sure I'm not the only one hoping for some extra incentive to pull the trigger on a Frey CC or EX. :D

Tom said:
Any chance of a Black Friday / Cyber Monday promotion from Frey? I'm sure I'm not the only one hoping for some extra incentive to pull the trigger on a Frey CC or EX. :D

That would be almost too good to be true. Meanwhile we can enjoy ”discounted” 250W HaiBikes for a bare nominal price of 8999€. Easy, just sell your car to buy one.

hi Guys
I'm from Germany, and I'm following this tread for a long time.
I would like to buy a Frey am1000 again in the new year.

and I have a question to owners of this bike.

is it slow to replace the shimano xt8000 circuit on sram hx-gx 11x?
what should I pay attention to in the configuration.

sorry for my english, i use googel

greeting as Germany

Hammer3er said:
hi Guys
I'm from Germany, and I'm following this tread for a long time.
I would like to buy a Frey am1000 again in the new year.

and I have a question to owners of this bike.

is it slow to replace the shimano xt8000 circuit on sram hx-gx 11x?
what should I pay attention to in the configuration.

sorry for my english, i use googel

greeting as Germany

I thought that first myself as well. I had a SRAM GX11 rear shifter and cassette ready.

But made a right choice when chose to stick with 10-speed Shimano. Here some reasons why it isn’t a good idea:

1. Sram GX rear cassettes cost 100€. Shimano SL500 cassettes cost 30-50€.

2. More expensive and lighter the cassette is, the weaker it is. Your Sram GX cassettes will break sooner.

3. You have to use more expensive and weaker 11-speed chains.

4. For Sram HX or GX you need a specific XD-wheel hubs which cost 100€-200€ a piece + installation ~150€.

5. If your cassette breaks a replacement part is slower to obtain. Shimano 10-speed cassettes can be found from any bike shop.

So all in all I wouldn’t recommend this change in any case.

Too late for black Friday but......
Frey is planning to do a group buy for customers in North America.
The idea is to collect orders and arrange a group shipment.
This group shipment will allow the transport costs to drop from US$ 800 to US$ 300 per bike.
The delivery will be ex warehouse in the USA, most likely in California, hopefully in April.

Frey will post a new thread in the For Sale section to keep the threads here clean of commercial activities.
Or send Ivy or me a PM for details.

Here is the thread; https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=103540

Installed an electric 150mm Magura Vyron Elect dropper post on my bike. Really pleased. No cable-hassle and works greatly. 360€ from Bike24.

For those who’ve had issues with Shimano cassettes I can recommend SunRace. Cheaper end cassettes tend to have deeper teething so they prevent chain slipping. Prices hover in the same range with Shimano ~30-50€.

Hi Guys

What lighting do you use on your bike?

Do you have a recommendation for me.

Has anyone already tried Exess Controller?

https://www.exess-bikes.de/news/now-available-the-new-exess-controller

Greetings Hammer

Hammer3er said:
Hi Guys

What lighting do you use on your bike?

Do you have a recommendation for me.

Has anyone already tried Exess Controller?

https://www.exess-bikes.de/news/now-available-the-new-exess-controller

Greetings Hammer

€ 12,27 25% Off | 12V-85V DC 3-16 XML T6 LED Electric Bicycle Bike Ultra bright Waterproof 3000-16000LM Powerful Headlight Motorcycle Light
https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/MVuleTYk

If you don't want to buy new chains and cassettes every week I wouldn't recommend any more power on this bike. Drivetrain is already stressed out to the max with 1600W.

Hammer, there is a thread on this controller here; https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=102068

Out and about on my Frey AM1000 v5.0 today with her new Michelin E-Wild tyres fitted.

[youtube]TR1Ixq7Rw_4[/youtube]

DT Swiss 350 hub freewheel after 300 kms. Need to order the stainless one asap...

Attachments

• 6E32CCFC-590E-4B07-A4CE-26CB9A796DDF.jpeg
    6E32CCFC-590E-4B07-A4CE-26CB9A796DDF.jpeg
    112.4 KB · Views: 3,386
It's a shame the other thread is locked.
To me, that's like tossing out the baby with the bathwater. Deal with the people that are causing the problem.
Now all of that information is going to sink to the bottom of the forum never to be seen again. What a waste, the mods should have dealt with this.

:x :x :x

Just need a link to the archived thread. Here you go. Problem mostly solved.

https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=91035

Richard N said:
It's a shame the other thread is locked.
To me, that's like tossing out the baby with the bathwater. Deal with the people that are causing the problem.
Now all of that information is going to sink to the bottom of the forum never to be seen again. What a waste, the mods should have dealt with this.

:x :x :x

Feel the same...

FlyingFinn said:
DT Swiss 350 hub freewheel after 300 kms. Need to order the stainless one asap...

That is a lot of wear in such a short distance but also testament to the power of the bike :thumb:

It nice to be able to see so clear in the photo that the indents get larger/deeper towards the smaller cassette cogs where the torque on the splines is the greatest.

SlowCo said:
That is a lot of wear in such a short distance but also testament to the power of the bike :thumb:

It nice to be able to see so clear in the photo that the indents get larger/deeper towards the smaller cassette cogs where the torque on the splines is the greatest.

This problem could be easily solved if there just would be a 10-speed Sram XD-cassette because I got a free XD-adapter with my hub. In an XD-cassette all the cogs are in one frame so the bite-in problem isn’t present.

Now I have to either buy a SRAM 11-speed shifter and do cable re-routings etc. other crap, or just buy the steel freehub. I think the steel freehub is a better option. 10-speed cassette and chain are much stronger and cheaper than 11-speed.

Any links to where these steel , cassette freehub bodies , can be bought ?

can a XD driver that was on one brand of hub be put on another brand of hub ?

Example a XD drive that was on a DT Swiss hub be put on a Mavic Hub ? or Reverse of that ?
other combinations that would work ?

( Research shows that a sram XD driver can , not , be put on a Shimano Hub )

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back