BFANG BBSHD Best Display

geosped

100 W
Guys,
In your opinion what's currently the best functional display for the BBSHD?

The EggRider v2 is the best in my opinion. I love that it lets you reprogram your motor controller settings through an app on your phone, making that aspect of setting up your ride that much easier & simpler (& also available to you on-the-go). I love that it lets you run two settings profiles that are simultaneously programmed into the BBSHD, so you can switch between Road/Offroad (or "Eco/Sport" if you prefer) settings very easily. I also love that it calculates & displays how many Wh/Mi you're using, which is a super helpful piece of information for calculating range. The display is also super tiny & discrete, but can be controlled through your phone via a bluetooth app if you desire a larger screen while riding. (Personally the display screen works just fine for me)

test-after-firmware-update.jpg
Left & Middle: EggRider v2 Display (Left: Main screen in Eco mode / Right: Stats Screen) - Right: Unrelated BMS App

edlht4.jpg
My bike's cockpit setup, notice the EggRider v2 Display mounted on a handlebob next to the left brake hood

eggrider-settings-eco.png
One set of programming settings in the EggRider App. These are just my personal settings for Eco Mode. Don't wanna hijack your thread but I have a ton of images related to this on my build thread if you wanted to see more, so I'm just gonna pop a link in here: https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=108438
(scroll down towards the end of the first post for the EggRider display/app/settings info)

The only issue that I've experienced with the EggRider v2 is that it seems to calculate my battery capacity a bit incorrectly most of the time (it's close usually, but sometimes off by >10%). This is something I've noticed on most eBikes & displays I've used though; the display is just rarely accurate at calculating battery capacity exactly, especially when a current is being drawn presently (y'know, when you're actually riding it lol). I think this quirk just feels a little more noticeable/annoying on the EggRider simply because it displays so much more detailed information, so the discrepancies are highlighted in a way (like when it says I have 800wh in the battery at startup despite having just charged fully & knowing there's more like 1.2kwh, but it says 99% nonetheless lol...but then it works just fine, range & everything is what would be expected). It can be annoying especially for the OCD (me) but it doesn't feel so bad when I consider that most displays show a bar graph for battery, some show percentage, and the more specific they get the less accurate they tend to seem just because you're looking at what's supposed to be a more precise measurement that isn't always that precise. I've experienced this on the EggRider but also every other display I've used before, where the battery capacity sometimes appears to drop & then go back up if I switch from low energy consumption to high for a bit & then back to low. This does render some of the seeming perks of the EggRider (like more detailed battery data) seemingly not that useful, but that's alright by me since the most important features are still really useful.

My Top EggRider Pros:
  1. Ability to have two usable settings profiles available
  2. Ability to easily reprogram the display & controller settings through a phone app
  3. Wh/Mi Reading Available on Display
  4. Small, discrete, minimalistic but still pretty & functional display (looks almost like my sport watch but for my bike lol)
  5. I believe the EggRider is a little more water-resistant than most of the displays out there. It feels well-built.

My Top EggRider Cons:
  1. Support is limited. There's a Facebook group but I don't use FB. There's a wiki & an online manual that are very useful, but prepare to do some reading on how to set this display up & you will likely need to update the firmware initially.
  2. Although it provides a lot of detailed information in regards to ride data, battery specs, etc., expect the battery data to have some faults or inconsistencies here & there. (but pretty much all displays do this to some extent)
  3. Those are my only complaints. I like it a lot otherwise. 8)

EggRider wiki: https://bitbucket.org/eggpower/eggriderv2/wiki/Home
EggRider manual: https://manual.eggrider.com/?bitbucket_wiki

Thanks for the comprehensive info on the EggRider v2! It's hard for me to gauge but it looks rather small. I have to say wow, 32 mile 2hr trip now that's a ride. My eyes are getting old and I think I might need a bigger screen though. Can you some how hook up the EggRider to a Android Phone and use it to display a custom Bike app? Or do you just use it to interface with the options on the controller? I would rather not put my shiny expensive phone on top as I'm just using this off road and although I dont crash often It would a risk I wouldn't take. However I assume I could buy a used android phone and put it on top if I wanted a bigger screen. I will have to look into this as a possible option. I put my phone in my back pack. I don't wear glasses but need readers when reading. Do any of the other displays work in a similar fashion just in a bigger size?

But in general I now understand why the EggRider v2 is the best option.

eggriderv2_hero.png

Stock photo of the EggRider display in the phone app.

So yeah, it is a pretty tiny display if you're not using the phone app unfortunately. Personally I don't use the phone app except for changing programming settings or downloading ride data, updating firmware, that sort of thing. I kind of prefer not looking at the display much unless I'm stopped though, and I also like going on long distance tours with my bike so I tend to like having my phone screen available for music or GPS navigation. I personally do use my shiny expensive phone on my bike.. it's a Galaxy s7 in a LifeProof case with a universal Rokform Mount Adapter on the back (I like that it has a magnet for sticking to poles & things too - sticks to my steel bike frame so sometimes I just sit next to my bike, drink some water & stick my phone to the side of my bike to mess around with lol...absolutely hated the Rokform phone cases though, which was a shame because the mount is the best phone mount I've ever seen for bicycles). I was in a pretty bad accident awhile back & my phone survived the crash with this setup, so I think it's pretty secure. Alternatives that I've seen some people use if they're uncomfortable using their main phone as the display is to just buy a real cheap old android device that you hook up to the EggRider with bluetooth & use it just as a display, no phone or data plan on it.

EDIT:
The Rokform Mount Adapter I use (glued to back of a LifeProof phone case)
https://www.rokform.com/products/v3-universal-adapter?variant=33383191303

Rokform Handlebar Mount that I use
https://www.rokform.com/products/bike-handlebar-mount

There's also a phone mount that attaches to your stem as well by replacing the stem cap on your bike. It's a bit pricier & I like the handlebar mount just fine. It also comes with a short clip-in lanyard that functions as a backup to keep your phone from flying off the bike if it were to somehow disengage or break off from the mount itself, but I've literally never had that happen & I ride a lot & not always on the friendliest of terrain. :)

Well I got the eggbeater v2. Now just waiting on my battery. Got everything ready to go. Are the settings you have in eco mode default settings or your preferences? I'm only going to use mine for trail riding and was wondering if you had any suggestions I should look to do. I'd like to tweak it so when I'm riding uphill I'm not going to fast but not to slow that I loose my footing. Should I just start in PAS level 1

Back