Tongsheng TSDZ2 full thrust in OFF mode

Razvan

1 µW
Hello,

This is my first post, so I apologize if I am not in the right forum.
I am currently facing an issue for which I would need the help of the community.

Six months ago I installed a Tongsheng TSDZ2 mid-drive, the coaster brake version, on my bike and since then I rode about 500 km without any issue. Until today, when after a ride of about 20 km at noon, during which the motor worked perfectly, I let my bike at rest in the garage for a couple of hours until in the evening when I went out for a ride again, but the motor started to behave erratically.

First I noticed that the lights did not turn on anymore.
Then, in the 1st level of assistance (as I usually use), I got full thrust as I was in the 4th. So that I switched off the assistance (I put it on the OFF position), but I still got full thrust from the motor. The situation started to become quite worrying and unsafe as the slightest push on the pedal triggered a full thrust response from the motor despite the fact that the assistance level was put on OFF.

I tried several things trying to figure out what the problem might be:
- I switched the assistance levels up and down while ridding
- I completely switched off and on the entire system several times
- I disconnected the battery and I waited 5 minutes before reconnecting it
- I disconnected the speed sensor and I let it disconnected
- I disconnected the lights and I let them disconnected
- I disconnected all the cables and I connected them again

Nothing helped. The motor continued to push at full thrust whatever I did. (of course not when the entire system was completely switched off). And the lights never turned on since then.

I mention that I am aware of a couple of things that are specific to this motor:
- not to put torque on the pedal during the initialization of the system when switching it on
- the correct distance of the magnet from the speed sensor

Now there was some symptoms that I started to notice in the last period, but I do not know if they could be linked or not: 2 weeks ago I install front and rear lights (I missed a cable so far and it took months for it to arrive from the supplier) and I noticed that sometimes they refused to turn on. I thought there might be an imperfect contact, so I used to disconnect and reconnect the lights cables, which eventually solved the problem with the light. But except this, the motor worked perfectly, until today.

Did someone else experience the same issue?

Thank you in advance,
Razvan

I'm not familiar with this specific problem, but it sounds like the controller goes to sort of "default mode" which can be achieved without a display by connecting two wires (red and blue) in the cable between the display and the motor:

TSDZ2_8Pin_Connector_Higo_B8_Cable_Map_2.jpg

Doing this sets the motor on with full assist level. You can still control the system on/off with the display, so it's not a short between those wires. But maybe a broken communication wire (UART RX/TX) might result this kind of behaviour. I'm definitely not sure about this, but I suggest you check thoroughly the cables between the display and the motor.

Thank you for your reply, ilu.

The connector between the motor and the display has actually only 6 pins. As this is the coaster brake version of the motor, it does not have a pin for the brakes as the brake is achieved by backpedaling. And it does not have a throttle either.

I am not sure how to check the cable as it is attached to the display. I disconnected the display from the motor, but of course in this case the motor itself was disconnected too.

But I noticed something else: when I try to turn on the head and rear lights from the button on the display, they do not always turn on. Actually they turn on erratically all of a sudden, at their own will (when they want to turn on, of course, because they do not always want to). Then when I try to turn them off, they do not turn off until I switch off the display completely.

Best regards,
Razvan

Tongsheng TSDZ2 (coaster brake version) connector.png

Ah okay, anyway the wiring diagram does not help much here. Apparently speed reading works so connection from controller (inside the motor housing, meaning the electronic system that drive the motor) to display works, but it sounds like the information from display to controller does not work, or works only sporadically like with the lights. Does walk assist feature work on the coast brake version? With that you could test if that signal goes from display to controller.

By checking the cable I meant to just inspect if there's any damage on the outside, but of course a broken wire could also be inside the display or the motor housing. Probably it'll be difficult to find the fault without having a spare display and/or controller to test with.

Back