Freewheel motor, fixed gear pedals. Is it possible?

Rfprint

1 µW
Hey all, I recently made a post about an rc drive e-bike but found out those are basically obsolete nowadays. But I've been wanting to turn this bike I have with a flip flop hub into an e-bike. I don't want to lose the fixie, which would mean I'd have to devise a way for a mid drive drivetrain to work without affecting my fixed gear drive train. I'm thinking a freewheel would be a solution but unsure how to attach it to my bike.

https://www.l-faster.com/items/450w-electric-mountain-bike-conversion-kit-side-drive/
Would something like this work for what I need?

Thanks!

Yes, there are several ways to have both the fixie and the motor.

Are you preparing for a circus act?[as a clown?] If so, you could enhance the design for such a show by getting a big motor like the QS 3000 and employ a ratio of say 6:1. Eggbeater clipless petals by the Crank Brothers will keep your feet on the petals. For showtime simply employ an on/off switch instead of any twist throttle.

For one way see page 140 of " new Cyclone 3000w mid drive kit?"of my post employing a NuVinchi hub and a Cyclone motor with dual chains Drives. Instead of the NuVinci gear hub lace your wheel with a Gru-bee dual drive rear hub.

If you are running in fixie mode then the motor turning the wheel is obviously going to turn your pedals. This means you can do away with the freewheeling bb crank setup that most mid-drives use.

The only other thing you need is a freewheel on the motor so your legs don't need to turn the motor while you are pedaling.

Depending on your power needs a small geared hub mounted in the frame rather than the wheel might be good for this application.

Back