New BBSHD Help for 2017 Enduro / Trail Bike Help Plz :-)

geosped

100 W
So was looking for opinions and advice from those that have already been through what i'm about to go through. First off this is stricly a trail bike for me. I want to build a bike that will basicly take on Intermediate to Black Dimond Trails so some jumping, drop off's heavy climbing, roots etc... The goal is to create a really good all purpose DIY e-MTN-Bike. I basically just want to hang with my buddies Specialized e-levo. 

I found a great deal on this 2017 Breezer 27.5" Team Repack with 160mm of travel front and rear. Great trail / light enduro bike around 31lbs with a tubeless setup. https://archive.breezerbikes.com/2017/Breezer/repack-275-team-2 It's between a Trail and Enduro class so IMO a great all around performing bike can climb well and descend well.   I was thinking I was gonna use this as my donar bike. First question what do you guys think about this bike as a donar bike for a BBSHD kit?

So lets get the obvious out of the way. It's gonna need 100mm BBSHD kit as it has a BB92 BB with a 41mm ID housing. No biggie here. First major challenge overcome.

Here is the delima or for me what appears to be the biggest issue which may require some modding or cutting. The problem with this is with the Chain Guides and adapters welded to the underside of the bottom bracket. It looks like it's going to interfere when I run the BBSHD through. Does it look like it's going to be any issue based on the pics? Meaning am I going to have to take a grinder and cutting it off my shiny expensive bike??? That makes me feel a little queasy since this is a 5K bike and if I ever decide to convert it back  and sell it I would loose my shirt on the bike.  It's always better to be able to completely return it to stock if possible especially if something doesn't go right. 

SO THE QUESTION IS. Based on the pictures below. Would I have to cut the Chain Guide bracket off ?????  Anyone have similar experience or input on to my thoughts. 

Also what size Chain Ring would you recommend? I have a 42T the bike has a 30T. 42T chain ring wont fit as it will not clear the chain stay. Does anyone have a 28T or 36T do you mind telling me what the width is from the center of the crank arm to the edge of the teeth? My 42T is about 9.5mm I need about 7mm to clear the chain stay so I need to figure out which one to order. The bike is an 11 spd.

For battery I wanted to try and use a much smaller pack like an 8ah 21700 40T 52v pack. Much smaller and lighter than the 17ah pack I was using on my other bike. I was hoping to stuff it in a saddle bag and strap in the small triangle below the seat post?? Thoughts on this?

What else am I missing? Or what else should I consider.

I also have a BBSHD Kit 68mm unfortunately it doesn't fit. I was using it on another bike and it worked great. Anyone have any experience with using the Lekkie Extension Kit? If so how did it work? Any issues with using it. I would rather get the adapter instead of loosing money on selling a used BBSHD kit that nobody is gonna want to buy.

As always thanks for your advice and help!!! This is my 3rd ebike build and excited to get started.

Attachments

• PXL_20210501_194327722.jpg
    PXL_20210501_194327722.jpg
    907.2 KB · Views: 305
  • PXL_20210508_140533430.jpg
    PXL_20210508_140533430.jpg
    387.3 KB · Views: 305
  • PXL_20210509_132435913.jpg
    PXL_20210509_132435913.jpg
    189.4 KB · Views: 305
Im about 98% sure you do have to cut them off, esp to get the motor not pointed straight down. the clearance between the motor case and the pedal shaft is pretty tight.

Voltron said:
Im about 98% sure you do have to cut them off, esp to get the motor not pointed straight down. the clearance between the motor case and the pedal shaft is pretty tight.

That would kind of suck but that's what I'm thinking aswell. I would hate to cut stuff off such a nice bike and then find out it's not what I wanted.

Ahhh geosped, from your other post I see what you're talking about...the ICGS tabs. It almost seems these have gone out of favor, and honestly other solutions exist to not require this. For out-and-out DH and hardcore freeride it was not a bad idea, but now with clutched derailleurs and narrow/wide chainrings you don't see them as often. As to whether you should cut them off, that's a personal decision, but I'm sure you can't and don't need them for your application. It would be nice if one of the tabs that don't interfere with the motor placement could be used as a secondary motor mount/retention feature, but I'm not sure that's possible, being on the opposing side of the clamping interface.

Back