2-6kw cyclone from cyclone-tw

daleag

10 µW
Has anyone messed with this motor, or ordered from this company? I'm considering it for a longtail cargo bike build, possibly using the motor flipped around to drive the left side of the rear wheel through a disk brake sprocket adapter.

I just received one and matching controller, for the same possible end use!. It’s a serious looking thing with massive 24FET controller and the motor has steel gears in the gearbox. It’s about an inch longer than the standard cyclone 3000 and comes with a bottom bracket extension for 68mm. Cyclone-tw.com is great to deal with, email the guy first with your requirements and he’ll set up a custom PayPal link for each time. Shipping can be combined on request.

Neat! Any concerns about the pedals being too far apart to effectively pedal? For me, the pedals will see moderate use and as backup to get me home in event of a failure, but the motor will be doing most of the work. I intend to gear it for only ~30mph as I'm more interested in acceleration/torque than top speed. Also looking at this as a mid drive instead of going with a large hub since I'm going full suspension to deal with the potholes and I want it to actually work and save the rims. Having 15+ lbs of extra unsuspended weight seems counterproductive.

I don’t think the pedal width would be an issue, it’s definitely not noticeable with the cyclone 3000. however I’m going to mount the motor just below the rear deck with an angled chain so it’s not an issue for me at all.

I was after the same thing as you - geared down for high torque and low speed which is well served by a gearbox and single reduction to a sensible rear sprocket. I’m calculating the stock 16tooth freewheel and a 34 tooth surly stainless steel rear sprocket will be about right.

Only concern I have is that 80A load will drain the battery pretty quick if abused so I want to ensure pedalling is still easy enough to do on the flat

It's the big hills with a heavy load you **can't** climb with human pedal power that concerns me the most.

Losing weight and getting stronger legs won't be happening in the early stages.

And every 5 gal jug retrieved from over that mountain pass weighs 40+lbs

Back