TSDZ2 - When were the non OSF flashable controllers introduced?

MouseMan11

100 µW
Hey,

I have a TSDZ2 however I'm not able to flash it (apparently it's a v2 version). I'm looking for a used motor that's a v1, how can I make sure I'm buying the correct one? Is there a date when the first ones were introduced and so if the used one was bought before that date it's almost certainly flashable?

Or, in the UK, are there any suppliers of OSF flashable controllers that I could put in a new motor?

Thanks

Sent from my LYA-L29 using Tapatalk

MouseMan11 said:
.... I have a TSDZ2 however I'm not able to flash it (apparently it's a v2 version). ...
... in the UK, are there any suppliers of OSF flashable controllers...
I don't know were you have ordered, but imho Enerprof Germany, was till now the only shop that sells the v2 controller.
Are you sure that you have the v2? It could be something with the STv2 link or wiring too.
connectionsOldNew2.jpg

I don't know an UK shop, but imho PSWpower or AliExpress deliver the V1 controller.

Oh really? PSpower are currently selling V1? I bought mine in June 2021 from PSpower. I've tried two different ST link devices, fairly certain my cabling is ok. They're only £240 on pspower so might be worth grabbing another and seeing if I can flash it.

In your diagram, does it mean I need to put my multimeter to those two bottom pins and then the voltage will tell me which version I have?

Do you know when the V2 was being sold and when it stopped, can't seem to find any info on it, I did so much research before trying to flash and didn't find any mention of the v2. Only when I couldn't flash mine someone suggested that might be why.

Thanks so much for your help, really hope you're right about pspower, that would make my day

MouseMan11 said:
Oh really? PSpower are currently selling V1? ...
...Do you know when the V2 was being sold and when it stopped, .....
No, I'm not sure about PSWpower, but if it is V2, you are the first from who I know this.
PSWpower and other International sellers never sold the V2 controller version before.
I'm only sure about the German EnerProf selling V2.
I think they do because of the strict enforcement of the EU law in Germany.

With a multimeter you can measure the Voltage on the "flash" connector when the motor is switched on, to be sure if it is an older V1 or newer V2 controller.

If you can see the controller you can also look at the components, if it is an old or new version

Old controller
file.php

New controller
file.php

Ah thank you so so much! I've been trying to find how to tell the difference, I'll open her up when I'm home to see which board I have. Truly appreciate the help [emoji120]

MouseMan11 said:
....open her up when I'm home to see which board I have. ...
imho it is almost sure you have an old flashable controller board. But we will see.
If you are certain about the STv2link and wiring, it could be something with the software installation/version you use.

So here's my controller, looking at your examples I'd say I have the original! I wonder why I can't flash it, will need to tripple check my connections. Now I have it exposed, is there another way to connect it to the STlink? Directly from the cables coming out of the board?
ff032f112dacf80c478cce76112ff47d.jpg

MouseMan11 said:
... I have the original! I wonder why I can't flash it, will need to tripple check ...
As I suspected it is indeed the old controller and could be flashed with OSF.

next points to check.....
If you want to flash the version for stock display, install Java RE.
SDCC and STVP must be flashed into the root of a Windows PC
Wiring short as possible.
Easiest way is to connect the three pins (V+, Gnd, Swim) directly with the wire-sockets, with shrinktube on them, from the STv2link.

STVP has two versions a cmd and graphical version. Just one of them can run and flash.
For a backup of your stock FW you use the graphical version.
For flashing with Java you must have closed that version, so Java can start the cmd version.

I've read many different articles on how to flash however you're saying lots of things I've never heard before! Thanks so much for helping me.

Can I just double check that when flashing, the bike battery should be disconnected and the power only comes from the STlink?

I have a VLCD6 so was going to use the firmware that I found which is compatible with that. Do I need to have the VLCD6 plugged in to the controller when flashing the controller?

What is SDCC and what do you mean by it being flashed into the root of a Windows machine?

I've never read about the different versions of STVP, I'll have to look those up.

Thank you

MouseMan11 said:
....the bike battery should be disconnected and the power only comes from the STlink?
You flash with display and without battery connected and/or switched off motor.
You only need Voltage of the USB connection

I can imagine you have read many articles, but most important is the Wiki

Inside the OSF download you find some manuals for further instructions

SDCC is the compiler software (latest is v4.2.0)
STVP is the Flash software (latest is v42.0.0)
Java RE is for running the OSF setup GUI (latest is v8.321)
OSF from Mbrusa (latest is v20.1C2)

Thanks so much, so I managed to get the ST programmer software to read the firmware, turns out I need to put some pressure on the wire connections, they must of had a bad connection.

I hadn't discovered the Java GUI method before, was too nervous to try tonight, will do some more reading just to make sure I know what I'm doing.

Thanks again, very excited to get the tabs read, major progress and saved me buying a new one!

MouseMan11 said:
.. I managed to get the ST programmer software to read the firmware, ...
Good to hear :thumb:

Realize you have used the graphical version of STVP for that
That way you can make a backup too of the three files cq tabs (program/data/option) of your stock firmware before flashing new OSF.
For stock firmware backup/restore you have to setup STVP for STM8S105x4 protocol

Before you start the Java gui you can check your connections again that way and shutdown STVP.
Java does everything with the commandline (cmd) version

FYI:
12 april mbrusa published the latest version of v20.1C.2

Ok, so I've backed up my firmware and got the java open and working with V20.1C.2. I'm now slightly confused about the battery settings options and where I set the power of my motor.

I have a 48v 750w - where do I choose the wattage of the motor?

Then, with the battery. I'm unsure what to put for max current (a) max power (W) and number of cells.

I have a 48v 17.5ah battery. The listing says it has 65 cells, is that right for number of cells?

Thanks [emoji120]
808bb5e2f422768ccb0e11968cdedc62.jpg

MouseMan11 said:
I have a 48v 17.5ah battery. The listing says it has 65 cells, is that right for number of cells?

Since your pack is 13S5P = 65 cells (13S = 48V), then I'd guess you would input 13. The controller might use that info to determine the default LVC value, though the firmware allows you to set a specific value.

MouseMan11 said:
.... I'm unsure what to put for max current (a) max power (W) and number of cells....

Current 12
Power 600
Capacity 840
cellnr 13
cutoff 39

You see that the power is less than 750W and the current is just 12A
That is on the safe side, because these values are recommended without coolingmods
If you doesn't run long mountainclimbs with high temperatures, you can setup
Current 15
Power 750

Back