Japanese ebike pics

mr.electric

10 kW
I am in Japan for a few weeks. I have been seeing these panasonic and yamaha ebikes everywhere. I a crowd of people you can easily see some bikes pull away quickly and others slowly gain speed. The ebikes are all crank drive. I have not seen one hub motor. It actually has a small sprocket next to the crank sprocket that drives the chain. The motor battery unit could probably be retro fitted to another bike easily. They all have Lithium packs too.

Attachments

• IMG_0981.JPG
    IMG_0981.JPG
    65.8 KB · Views: 2,131
Motor system pic 2
It is hard to see but the chain passes through a part that looks like a rear derailer cage right after passing over the crank sprocket. The spring loaded derailer cage has an idler and a drive sprocket. The crank sprocket has a one way bearing so the pedals don't spin when you are under power and not pedaling.

Attachments

• IMG_0982.JPG
    IMG_0982.JPG
    39.4 KB · Views: 2,130
Spec sheet. 250 watts - WEAK!
I think there is some sort of wattage regulation.

Thank you for posting the Japanese ebike. i had been wondering for a long time about japanese ebike. I can't find anything much information in the flickr. Crank drive the chain, it also works alittle bit like cyclone. more discription about their ebikes, i will like to know more. thank you

enjoy in japan tour. Nice food, especially the fruits taste different.
kentlim

mr.electric said:
Motor system pic 2
It is hard to see but the chain passes through a part that looks like a rear derailer cage right after passing over the crank sprocket. The spring loaded derailer cage has an idler and a drive sprocket.

A chain tensioner so that you don't have to fiddle with rear wheel position for chain tension. Not required if the bike had a rear derailleur instead of a gearless or internally geared hub.

Check out the Panasonic titanium ....... Brushless /.... like the old Giant Lafree lite

That 26v 3.7Ah battery assuming it had an infinite C-rating, would last <40 seconds of accelerating my bike.

It's only packing the energy of a typical moderate bike rider pedaling for 20mins. I'm packing 1,800% of that amount of energy, and I still feel like I want more battery capacity.

liveforphysics said:
It's only packing the energy of a typical moderate bike rider pedaling for 20mins. I'm packing 1,800% of that amount of energy, and I still feel like I want more battery capacity.

The more you have, the more you want. That is till it's so much you start scaring the girls. :shock:

Now that I've got 2.7kw on my daily rider, all I can think about is adding another motor or 2 and more batts.

John

I have noticed that people tend to ride bicycles at a much slower pace in Japan. Even though everyone is in a hurry to get to work they ride bicycles very slowly. I think they think they don't ride for exercise. It is like walking to the corner store. You would only run if you were in a hurry to buy something.
So the small battery pack is sufficient for slow moving short distance rides. Most bikes I see only have one gear.

John in CR said:
liveforphysics said:

The more you have, the more you want. That is till it's so much you start scaring the girls. :shock:

Now that I've got 2.7kw on my daily rider, all I can think about is adding another motor or 2 and more batts.

John

I enjoy the girls most when scared John :) :p

I would never fit into Japans bicycle scene.

Back