Luna BBSHD Ludicrous V2

humblebee

1 µW
Anyone know if Luna is currently making/selling their Ludicrous V2 controller for BBSHD?

Also anyone that has upgraded to one, what was your experience?

humblebee said:
Anyone know if Luna is currently making/selling their Ludicrous V2 controller for BBSHD?

My buddy who has a hot rod BBSHD is much happier with his external ASI controller than he was with the rootin' tootin' overdriven Luna controller. Not only does it give him dramatically improved (and more tunable) performance, but he no longer has to watch the temperature like a hawk (because the controller's heat isn't being piled on top of the motor's heat).

Me, I like to drive things within their ratings. If I want more power, I'll use a more powerful motor rather than burn down a less powerful one.

humblebee said:

The one guy I know that has one is very happy with it. I guess he bought it as part of a kit they offered last year. I think I could get one although I'm not sure I've been specifically "approved" but I can't justify the expense.

The modded BBSHD controller is capable of pushing my current bike faster than I prefer to ride it. At 45km/h I get a little anxious around traffic in the city and full out doing 55-60km/h is sketchy af on a hardtail. So I'd need to find another bike, maybe even a fat tire but at least something full suspension. Plus I'm pushing the limits of the tires I have and I'm not convinced the ones available are really safe at speeds over +60km/h.

Long story short, I'd need the controller, a new bike, new tires and a new battery. The V2 looks great but it's an expensive proposition.

[Hi - long time reader of the forum, but first time poster here]

I have two bikes equipped with Luna's Ludicrous V2 controllers (https://lunacycle.com/secret-v2/). I feel Luna created a very balanced, well-behaved and tunable controller (particularly the firmware (by Marcos)). I use 52 volt off the shelf batteries, and tune the controllers to not overtax the battery's AMP capabilities and BMS. I only ride street or paved path, and since I'm usually striving for max range I reserve the peak output only for when traffic conditions warrant it.

AFAIK Luna never implemented a dedicated shift sensor port, so for shift detection a brake line Y-splitter is needed.

Both of my V2 controller equipped bikes have IGH drivetrains (Alfine 8-speed and Rohloff 14-speed). I use shift sensors and am kind to the hubs. Both of these bikes are capable of over 40MPH (given conditions) and are heavily loaded. One of the BBSHD motors is now six years old, and both have PEEK plastic gears.

Sadly, the BBSHD version of this controller may no longer be available due to component shortages.

dwturbo70 said:
I have a bbshs with a ludicrous controller with a luna triangle 28ah battery. Are there any performance gains to be had and will the bms in my battery suffice? Thanks!

With a 28ah battery you "should" have at least a 60A BMS, but you could have a 30A BMS, There's no way for anyone to guess.

My buddy who has a hot rod BBSHD is much happier with his external ASI controller than he was with the rootin' tootin' overdriven Luna controller. Not only does it give him dramatically improved (and more tunable) performance, but he no longer has to watch the temperature like a hawk (because the controller's heat isn't being piled on top of the motor's heat).

Me, I like to drive things within their ratings. If I want more power, I'll use a more powerful motor rather than burn down a less powerful one.
what type of external ASI controller was able to hotrod like this besides Ludv2 to avoid the heat? I agree that souping it up might be a bad idea. looks fun though, esp with 20x4! not a fan of the banana seat crap

what type of external ASI controller was able to hotrod like this besides Ludv2 to avoid the heat?

He says the support from HVK is the best.

Back