CYC PHOTON

pxl666

1 kW
new player on the stage
https://www.cycmotor.com/photon
wonder few things , price , dedicated bms , pressfit compatibility , 104bcd chainrings , small display ?

anyway - summer is coming !

oEhJlHN.jpg

vr0ueR3.jpg

Huh looks like it uses some weird proprietary chainring, although that just may be for that version and the smaller (but not offset) chainring is just a 104BCD. While this drive is not for me at the moment I think it could be a great option for a better constructed TSDZ2 replacement. Seems to do all the things that people like about the TSDZ2 but hopefully not made with questionable design choices. I think this could be the perfect drive for a lot of people, a Bafang killer for many since it has a torque sensor.

looking forward to this motor, i hope its a bit stronger than a tsdz2. torque sensing sounds very good, i hope a throttle is an option. the design looks interesting tho, looks like they put a focus on cooling with that heatsink design. any release date or anything ?

I read in facebook page of CYC German distributor that the price they expect it to be around 1200EUR. TSDZ2 is 3 times cheaper. But I think to buy Stealth motor. I really like programming capability of DAC controller.

Why would you need more power? 500W is enough for 40-45 km/h. In most Urban areas in EU max allowed speed is 50 km/h. IT is a motor for bicycle after all. Cyc photon will be still considerable cheaper than new mid drive ebike from factory. For me photon will be a bafang killer for those WHO like to pedal.

People use their bikes many, many different ways and have just as diverse preferences in their equipment

Just because one "likes to pedal" doesn't mean they prefer a torque sensing bike - I pedal 100% and I pedal hard... have ridden torque sensing bikes and can't stand them, vastly prefer cadence sensing

500W max power would be bare minimum for me and I can live with 750W... I do have a BBSHD andI likely use >750W <1%of the time but in heavy head winds and up slopes 750W is good to have, especially off-road and it does get used... the >750W is nice to have even if just for that <1%... frankly all things being equal can't have too much power on tap
i-xjvC9HK.gif

It's good to see options but unless the torque sensing can be eliminated or at least completely minimized I won't have any use for it

The speculated price is painful but I think it's just speculation at this point

I will never understand people WHO claim that only Cadence sensor is better. My cyc x1 Stealth Has both Cadence and torque sensor and they work great in tandem. Torque sensor nicelly flatens hills. Software in cyc controller automatically increases power in that case. No need to increase Cadence like on bafang or manually use throttle.

Btw. When I ride at 40 km/h my motor consumes only 350W on average. ( Human power between 100-150w)
Maybe bafang is less efficient than cyc and therefore needs more Watts?

I was refering to flat road and no wind. My human power according to cyc app is between 100-150W.
My bike is just a Simple hardtail with 26inch wheels

Atak_Snajpera said:
I will never understand people WHO claim that only Cadence sensor is better. My cyc x1 Stealth Has both Cadence and torque sensor and they work great in tandem. Torque sensor nicelly flatens hills. Software in cyc controller automatically increases power in that case. No need to increase Cadence like on bafang or manually use throttle.

Btw. When I ride at 40 km/h my motor consumes only 350W on average. ( Human power between 100-150w)
Maybe bafang is less efficient than cyc and therefore needs more Watts?

I don't understand people who don't get that people's usage and preferences can be different than their own narrow view

I've tried both - torque sensing doesn't work well for me but then again I've got a severe physical disability so what applies to me is different than what applies to other people (but then again I do get that people's usage and preferences can be different than mine)

I've ridden electric long enough to understand *my* usage and preferences regarding power... 500W would be unsatisfying and yet I would be ok with 50% more - at least on the bike I'm riding the most these days...

The truth is that vast mayority of healty people prefer ebikes with torque sensing motors. There is good reason why Shimano,Bosch,Brose,Yamaha and even Bafang (OEM) always have torque sensors in their motors. For natural feeling you just need that. Period

I'm not buying most of these narrow minded views

One thing I've found is that folks that come from exclusively bicycling backgrounds, especially MTB, tend to prefer torque sensing and those form moto backgrounds tend to prefer cadence sensing - but that's really just a gross generalization, not hard and fast rule for F's sake... another generalization I've seen is that folks that only know commuting often prefer cadence...

To think that one's view of the world applies to everyone else... well I just say to them they should get better acquainted with a fellow named Copernicus

I'm very fit, ride really hard, don't go silly fast (generally no much more than 20mph and seldom more than 25mph) and ride a lot off-road and also urban multi-use.. but not so egocentric as to think my way of riding or preferences applies to everyone else.. likely a lot older than the folks with the terribly narrow views of the world too...

Oh well

i-w5vLsbm.gif

see discussion went of the rails . I believe there will be easy choice for this motor .

Hillhater said:
And there are many other options these days..
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=117066
..anyone who thinks 500-750 W is more than enough, has no understanding of the full spectrum of Ebike users.!

special frame mounted motor have no application here ...

dude - this thread is for photon , not general ebike usage discussion . if you're not concerned - why do you waste your time here ?
this is supposed to be high quality tsdz2 replacement and that's it . period
please , stick to the topic guys

pxl666 said:
Wow! , not very open minded are we ?
You do know many folk build complete scratch frames for their Ebikes, heavy modifications are not uncommon, so a modification to fit a different mount should not be a barrier.
Lots of bare frame kits available also for these “unified” motor units.

Hillhater said:
pxl666 said:
Wow! , not very open minded are we ?
You do know many folk build complete scratch frames for their Ebikes, heavy modifications are not uncommon, so a modification to fit a different mount should not be a barrier.
Lots of bare frame kits available also for these “unified” motor units.

dude . not very easy is to get Yamaha motor with Yamaha battery and Yamaha display...not to mention price. and you seriously want to compare this to motor that goes to almost any frame and takes any battery you connect to it?? really ? and please show me this abundance of projects with Yamaha or Bosch motor . I'm eager to see them.

i hope 1200$ is not right, thats way too high of a price.

i myself would be interested in this motor if:

•its max price is not over 650€
•it can handle full throttle at max power continuous
•is not locked by software
•is available in EU without huge reseller markup

right now there doesnt seem to be much information on the website, i hope this changes soon. photos look OK, not sure if i like the heatsink design.

Personally I'm interested

But agree it's a tough sell at the rumored price of $1200... but that's just unsubstantiated rumor at this point so not taking that as any sort of gospel

I'd need to understand a few things aside from cost too before jumping on board... how configurable it is near top of list... what the display options are is important too...

I would never even remotely consider being an early adopter either

well...they seem to know what they're doing right ? if this would be tsdz2 built like bbs02 that's fine. if this would be tsdz2 that won't overheat and keep running 600w constantly ,I'm in . of course it greatly depends on the price. tsdz2 is really cheap and capable of delivering tons of fun even at stock configuration

well . cyc stealth \ pro are imho unfinished products ... additional chain , not full enclosed , and the noise ...

ebuilder said:
pxl666 said:
well . cyc stealth \ pro are imho unfinished products ... additional chain , not full enclosed , and the noise ...
Therefore you are saying that CYC's track record of high performance e-bike motors isn't very good.

hard to tell - i don't own any cyc yet but these factors repulsed me . on the other hand if im happy with crappy tsdz2 ... i will be more than happy with cyc , doubt if it will be worse ...

Back