Fitting lights to a TSDZ2 setup

Rcartes

100 µW
I'm installing a TSDZ2 and so far, so good. But the box came with the set of lights that I ordered, but they have only very short connecting wires, so my question is, how do you fit them? I don't mean how do you mount them on the bike, that's not an issue, my question concerns how to wire them in to the battery?

I read somewhere here that there's a set of cables that are used for this, but they didn't come with the kit so I'm a bit mystified. I'm sure I could fit cables, but where to? Someone mentioned the USB outlet but it didn't seem ideal, and someone else said to wire them in to the wires from the brakes, is that the answer?

I'm a bit lost here so advice would be most welcome.

ebuilder said:
For any reasonable advice, you are going to have describe what lights you have, what their voltage rating is, what type of connector...are the lights designed for a TSDZ2 controller/display interface etc.
Hope that makes sense.

Of course, I should have thought of that. Anyway, I've now had a closer look at what I was sent and here are some details, and a couple of photos.

The first one shows what I was sent: two lights (front and rear) at 6v, the label on the back says, plus a cable (more details below) and a small bag with a cable converter of some kind; the second photo gives more detail of the cable.

- at one end of the cable is (3 in the diagram) the six-pin connector, with 5 pins arranged around an outer ring, one in the centre) that is obviously intended to be plugged into the battery, but I don't know where.

- this cable splits a short way from No 3, into two equally long branches, at the end of which are:
1. two sockets that are obviously designed to take one of the lights
2. a plastic-enclosed socket that seems to fit with one of the things in the plastic bag; I think this would/could take the other light.

I don't know wh 1. and 2. are different, it would seem more obvious to have them both like 1., but I don't suppose it matters

So I'm a bit clearer now, but I still don't know where to plug end 3 into the battery.

Does this help?

Attachments

• 20220912_184009.jpg
    20220912_184009.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 496
  • Untitled presentation (10).jpg
    Untitled presentation (10).jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 496
Are the wire colors on the heatshrunk pins of the cable also just black and red, or are they blue and red? If they're black and red, then either pair could be used for either light, but the heavier-duty contacts are more likely to be for the headlight, as those are usually higher-current than taillights (even if the TL have a brake light function as well).

I would guess, given no other info, that the headlight blades are intended to slip into the red and black heatshrunk connectors on the cable, with no connector shell.

Then the taillight blades are intended to fit into the connector shell separately provided in that bag, which then plugs into the plastic connector on the cable.

Then the round multipin connector is intended to plug into your system's lighting connector, if it has one (and into a Y-cable or power converter that's not supplied if you don't).

Do you have a link to the sales page for the lights themselves? It may have info you don't know about, or don't know to post, that may help us help you.

If the lights are designed for the TSDZ2 system you have, there should be an unused connector on your system they would plug into, normally either at the connectors from the display or the motor housing. It may require a splitter from another connector, that should be supplied with the lights but might not have been sent, or may be a separately-orderable item (as it is not uncommon for extras to be needed that some sellers don't bother to tell you about).

If they were not specifically designed for the TSDZ2 system you have, there may be no connector on the system to wire them into, and no power supply sufficient to run them built into the system.

If that's the case, you'd need a 6VDC DC-DC that runs off your battery voltage range. If that is a 36v battery, then about 30VDC up to about 42VDC. (meaning, it has to be able to function and supply the 6VDC anytime the input voltage is anywhere within that range; the voltage range on the input can be greater, going higher and lower, but not less, or else the lights will turn off when the battery dips below the limit of the DC-DC input voltage. If it cant' take the highest voltage the battery charges to, the DC-DC may fail). If it's a 48v battery, the range it must take is at least around 41VDC up to about 52VDC.

The DC-DC must be also able to supply the current (amps) that the lights require, continuously. If you don't know how much current that is, the sales page may say, or we can guesstimate it will be likely less than 5A (almost certainly less than 10, and probably less than 2). Actual current usage depends on the ligths themselves--if they are LED, it will be pretty low current normally, but if they are incandescent, it might be significant.

Rcartes said:
I'm installing a TSDZ2 and so far, so good. But the box came with the set of lights that I ordered, but they have only very short connecting wires, so my question is, how do you fit them? I don't mean how do you mount them on the bike, that's not an issue, my question concerns how to wire them in to the battery?

I read somewhere here that there's a set of cables that are used for this, but they didn't come with the kit so I'm a bit mystified. I'm sure I could fit cables, but where to? Someone mentioned the USB outlet but it didn't seem ideal, and someone else said to wire them in to the wires from the brakes, is that the answer?

I'm a bit lost here so advice would be most welcome.

Rcartes said:
Of course, I should have thought of that. Anyway, I've now had a closer look at what I was sent and here are some details, and a couple of photos.

The first one shows what I was sent: two lights (front and rear) at 6v, the label on the back says, plus a cable (more details below) and a small bag with a cable converter of some kind; the second photo gives more detail of the cable.

- at one end of the cable is (3 in the diagram) the six-pin connector, with 5 pins arranged around an outer ring, one in the centre) that is obviously intended to be plugged into the battery, but I don't know where.

- this cable splits a short way from No 3, into two equally long branches, at the end of which are:
1. two sockets that are obviously designed to take one of the lights
2. a plastic-enclosed socket that seems to fit with one of the things in the plastic bag; I think this would/could take the other light.

I don't know wh 1. and 2. are different, it would seem more obvious to have them both like 1., but I don't suppose it matters

So I'm a bit clearer now, but I still don't know where to plug end 3 into the battery.

Does this help?

Thank you very much, amberwolf, that is really helpful, and I've been studying it.

And then, I was searching on the net for "how to fit lights on a tongsheng motor" when I came across this cabling set on Amazon; it's no longer available, but the listing (https://www.amazon.co.uk/Lopbinte-Headlight-Taillight-Tongsheng-Accessories/dp/B08JV2R841 has the diagram reproduced below, which sets it out very clearly - and it's exactly how you described. In fact, it's clear that the cable kit plus lights that I have is exactly the one in the listing.

In particular, I couldn't see how to connect the cable to the system - and in particular there was a split cable, which I now realise is a splitter to enable the light input to share a connection with the speed tester thing (see bottom left of the attached diagram from the listing).

So bingo, there it is, problem - hopefully - solved (and if I'd persevered with my internet searching I'd have found this out without having to ask on here.)

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-09-12 23.07.23.png
    Screenshot 2022-09-12 23.07.23.png
    191.7 KB · Views: 468
Back