Tongsheng tsdz2 torque sensor bad?

Hello. I bought the tsdz2 w/ XH-18 Display new from eco-ebike.com in may of this year. It's on my wifes bike and she rides super conservative.

Anyway she has 218 miles on the motor and now has a problem with no pedal assistance. Worked one day and the next day turned the unit on to go for a ride and no pedal assist.

No crashes. No riding in rain. No aggressive riding. No reason for anything to stop working.

Walk mode does work.

So I tried all the normal things to solve the issue. Turn off and on. Disconnected and reconnected battery. Tried with and without speed sensor connected. Double checked magnet placement. Checked all wire connectors and pins. Speedometer shows correct speed when riding.

Nothing solved the issue.

Could this really be the torque sensor only after 218 miles of slow conservative riding?

Thanks for any suggestions/help from the forum

Shawn

Programinator said:
Hello. I bought the tsdz2 w/ XH-18 Display new from eco-ebike.com in may of this year. It's on my wifes bike and she rides super conservative.

Anyway she has 218 miles on the motor and now has a problem with no pedal assistance. Worked one day and the next day turned the unit on to go for a ride and no pedal assist.

No crashes. No riding in rain. No aggressive riding. No reason for anything to stop working.

Walk mode does work.

So I tried all the normal things to solve the issue. Turn off and on. Disconnected and reconnected battery. Tried with and without speed sensor connected. Double checked magnet placement. Checked all wire connectors and pins. Speedometer shows correct speed when riding.

Nothing solved the issue.

Could this really be the torque sensor only after 218 miles of slow conservative riding?

Thanks for any suggestions/help from the forum

Shawn

Based on your symptoms it's almost always the speed sensor - but sounds like you've done the checks there.

You can verify the torque sensor is working if you're running the OSF - for casainho's OSF - "..go to Technical configuration menu to see torque sensor ADC value in real time" - from : https://github.com/OpenSourceEBike/TSDZ2_wiki/wiki/How-to-calibrate-the-torque-sensor

I would assume you can do the same with emmebrusa's too but I'm not familiar with that fork..

beemac said:
Based on your symptoms it's almost always the speed sensor ....

You can verify the torque sensor is working if you're running the OSF ....

I would assume you can do the same with emmebrusa's too ....
With the XH18 and OSF you can check the torquesensor with a button sequence on display.
But I don't think it is the torquesensor, because your problem came out of the blue, which is mostly not the case with the torquesensor.

I don't know if this is your only tsdz2. With vlcd5 display you don't need OSF to check the torquesensor, but it is possible inside the hidden settings.

Programinator said:
... tsdz2 w/ XH-18 Display .....Worked one day and the next day turned the unit on to go for a ride and no pedal assist.

No crashes. No riding in rain. No aggressive riding. No reason for anything to stop working......

imho this has to to do with the speedsensor too close to the magnet. The speedsensor is very sensitive for bouncing, which give corrupt signals to the controller. Mostly the speed on display is still right.
Try to rotate the magnet away from the sensor for about 10mm distance.

FYI
OSF has a some filtering to prevent corrupt speedpulses.

Thanks for the info guys

imho this has to to do with the speedsensor too close to the magnet. The speedsensor is very sensitive for bouncing, which give corrupt signals to the controller. Mostly the speed on display is still right.
Try to rotate the magnet away from the sensor for about 10mm distance.

But shouldn't the motor work with the speed sensor disconnected? I disconnected it and the problem is still there.

With the XH18 and OSF you can check the torquesensor with a button sequence on display.

I'm not running OSF and don't have any other displays.

But I don't think it is the this sensor, because your problem came out of the blue, which is mostly not the case with the torquesensor.

That does make sense. Maybe the first thing I should try is to adjust the speed sensor a bit. Although as I said I thought you could run it with speed sensor disconnected and that would tell me if it was a speed sensor problem. If it works while discos then it's the speed sensor. Mine didn't work while disconnected. Am I wrong on that?

Thanks. Let me know what you guys think. I appreciate the help

Programinator said:
.... Maybe the first thing I should try is to adjust the speed sensor a bit. ....
I'm not sure motor,with stock FW, runs if pedaling without speedsensor.
I know V2 controller can run without magnet, but with sensor connected.
OSF won't run with pedaling.

Rotating the magnet to about 10mm distance is easiest.

Well I just tried moving the magnet away from sensor. I moved it further away until it didn't register and the moved it in just enough to register speed. Definitely 10mm or more.

What else could it be?

Programinator said:
What else could it be?
Next thing in row could be the PAS sensor, but this is a very rare cause.
Or there must be some wiring broken of the torquesensor, but that doesn't also happens normally.

Programinator said:
Well I just tried moving the magnet away from sensor. I moved it further away until it didn't register and the moved it in just enough to register speed. Definitely 10mm or more.

What else could it be?

You could install OSF - which will give you more options to see what's going on. I've not used it but there is a version for your display:

https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=110682

You could install OSF - which will give you more options to see what's going on. I've not used it but there is a version for your display:

I guess I could try that. Will look into installing it.

Next thing in row could be the PAS sensor, but this is a very rare cause.
Or there must be some wiring broken of the torquesensor, but that doesn't also happens normally.

Maybe I will go with the osf install first and then check those two things after.

I also emailed eco-ebike.com support. Will see if they respond.

Thanks. Will update

So after some back and forth with David at Eco ebikes we found that there was possible damage of the wires between display and motor. Wire casing looked crushed a bit.

I ordered a new display and it still didnt solve the issue.

Sent the whole thing back to Eco ebikes and they found that a bad communication wire from the display fried the controller in the motor. I must have had a zip tie a little too tight! Or it got banged somewhere along the line.

They changed the controller out and sent it back to me and it's back up and running now

Can't say enough about the great customer support that David from eco-ebike.com. They have gone above and beyond on helping me with the motor and I would recommend them to anyone thinking about getting a mid-drive motor.

Programinator said:
.....found that a bad communication wire from the display fried the controller in the motor.....

They changed the controller out and sent it back to me and it's back up and running now...
Great that they found the reason.
Mostly a fried controller means a burned controller and nothing does work anymore.
If the motor still can run, a bad working sensor is mostly the case. So never thought about the controller.

Back