RC Servo Tester Throttle - I Made It, Now What?

Discussions related to motors other than hub motors.
This includes R/C motors, botttom bracket, roller and geared drives.
mclovin   100 W

100 W

RC Servo Tester Throttle - I Made It, Now What?

Post by mclovin » Aug 12 2009 11:00am

Hi All,
I have questions that arrose after looking at Matt's RC throttle tutorial. After we build the throttle and connect it to the ESC is there a calibration that needs to occur? Here's why I ask.

1) Is there a minimun pulse train threshold that the throttle needs to meet? In otherwords, if I twist the throttle slightly will the "signal" be enough to "activate" the FETs? Or do we have some "float" i.e. twist the grip 1/4 turn then the FETs start to work? If I do have some "float" in the throttle can I change it? (programatically or with a resistor?)

2) When the throttle pulse train is enough to start up the FETs do I need to be concerned about the duty cycle of them? In otherwords, I twist the grip just barely and the FETs start to pulse. Do I need to be concerned about the "minimum" duty cycle of the FETs? How do I know what that duty cycle is? Is it an issue? How do I know what the "minimum" voltage pulsed by the FETs will be? Can I change that?

I hope these questions make sense. They do make sense in my head but my terminology (and knowledge) may be off a bit. Plese let me know if you need me to elaborate or restate these questions.

Cheers.

recumpence   100 GW

100 GW
Location: On Earth right now. That can change at any time, though..........

Re: RC Servo Tester Throttle - I Made It, Now What?

Post by recumpence » Aug 12 2009 4:42pm

I have a bit of float too. The servo tester looks for the difference between the outside potentiometer posts and the center post. I would assume resistors could be installed to eliminate the float, but I have not tried that yet. I normally mechanically limit the throttle stop to get rid of the float.

I am not sure about the dudty cycle question.

Matt
1% of the world's population can think "Outside the box". The rest are firmly stuck within the box. Where are you?

ron van sommeren   100 W

100 W

Re: RC Servo Tester Throttle - I Made It, Now What?

Post by ron van sommeren » Aug 12 2009 6:49pm

These discussions will shed some light on the matter Vriendelijke groeten ;) Ron