Turnigy HXT Powered Custom Cruiser Worklog

Discussions related to motors other than hub motors.
This includes R/C motors, botttom bracket, roller and geared drives.
liveforphysics   100 GW

100 GW

Re: Turnigy HXT Powered Custom Cruiser Worklog

Post by liveforphysics » Oct 31 2009 6:49am

AussieJester wrote:I have done a fair bit of body work always use same method, plastic scrappers, look like paint scrappers but oober flexible.
When you see it tomorrow it will be niiiiice and smooth wont take me more than an hour too get ready for glassing Luke, looks alot worse in pics than it is, aside from the scoop section last bit i did mixed a hot mix and was a lil slow getting it on, all be good when shes sanded. I decided to go with body filler rather than straight onto the foam due to the many deep cracks i had in it from the joining of the foam pieces. Ill have it pretty smooth and several coats of release agent applied before glassing so :: fingers crossed:: it will pretty well drop out as one piece and be smooth inside, plenty of room for enough packs to make Methy jealous :-P

KiM
Good. The important thing is that Methy get's jealous and up-tight about the amount of LiPo you're packing vs the amount he is packing. This is part of why I had to build my extra-range pack, with another 16 packs in a back pack. I didn't need extra range, I just needed to be packing enough to turn Methy green. :)

The little silicone kidney thing is different from the little plastic things, because it's got this kinda oily feeling super non-stick surface, I think it's silicone with silicone oil perhaps? It lets things just lay down nice and flat without a lot of messing around, but of course if you mix it too hot, then nothing can help you get things to lay down before it starts clumping and balling up. I still mix it too hot like 90% of the time though :) Generally ends up taking more time in the long run thouhg :( lol

It's looking good, and I'm sure it's going to be fantastic when you are finished, just like the rest of your work :)
Each carcinogen vapor exposure includes a dice roll for cancer.

Each mutagen vapor exposure includes a dice roll for reproductive genetic defects in your children.

Each engine start sprays them into a shared atmosphere which includes beings not offered an opportunity to consent accepting these cancer experiences and defective genetics life experiences.

Every post is a free gift to the collective of minds composing the living bleeding edge of LEV development on our spaceship.

recumpence   100 GW

100 GW
Location: On Earth right now. That can change at any time, though..........

Post by recumpence » Oct 31 2009 7:24am

Luke,

Same here. I use the "Lost Foam" molding technique as well. I have laid up carbon fiber with room temperature epoxy that way too. Lots of car audio enclosures done with this method. I laid up one enclosure in my car trunk that required two gallons of resin! But, I digress...............

Kim,

You should run a touch of anti-sieze on those stainless threads. Stainless likes to gall against stainless. :wink:

Matt
1% of the world's population can think "Outside the box". The rest are firmly stuck within the box. Where are you?

AussieJester   100 GW

100 GW

Post by AussieJester » Oct 31 2009 7:50am

recumpence wrote:
You should run a touch of anti-sieze on those stainless threads. Stainless likes to gall against stainless. :wink:

Matt

I use loctite 242 on all bolts Matt just for the added security even with nylocs, will this be sufficient to stop the galling Or would you recommend I go with Loctite 232?

Cheers Matt...

KiM

Hyena   100 GW

100 GW

Post by Hyena » Nov 01 2009 4:23am

liveforphysics wrote:I always feel like I have too many hours of work in sanding the fiberglass on the outside and bondo'ing the pits and things to bother trying to make the inside surface smooth as well. :)
Yeah I wouldnt bother either, but we shouldn't be suprised when it comes to Kim and turning out a quality finished product :)
www.HyenaElectricBikes.com
Aussie high powered e-bike kits and custom performance ebikes
New FUTR and Hyena special edition Beta frames now available!
My build and HD video thread____. My youtube channel____ Hyena Facebook page
My bike is writing cheques my body can't cash...

AussieJester   100 GW

100 GW

Post by AussieJester » Nov 01 2009 4:38am

Remains too be seen atm whether the extra prep of the outside will pay off but we are getting closer
too finding out, i just hope the majority slides out so i dont have to spend the day digging out and scrapping
copious amounts of foam out to be left with a shoddy looking interior yeah its not seen but i know its there
and that sort of stuff irritates me, like messy cables I HATE MESSY cabling with a passion grrr LoL
If it must be seen it MUST BE sleeved!!

Update

5.15PM so calling it a day, i did want too get a couple of layers of fiberglass
on the enclosure today but due to latish start to the day (tiz Sunday after all)
Didn't quite get there...
I managed to finish the prepping of the enclosure for fibreglass AND got the first
layer on though-->

VERY happy with how its coming along, i didn't put alot of time
into sanding the body filler 30-40 minutes my main objective was to get
the higher spots off, once this was done I sprayed a light coat of
spray putty to help see the low spots better, filled those gave them
a quick sand before applying 2 coats of PVA release agent. First layer
of fiberglass was layered on, 300ml of epoxy resin was used and a under a meter of
450 chop strand matt fiberglass... ~4 1/4 meters left
I plan on 2 more layers of glass, this will bring the enclosures wall thickness
too around 4mm PLENTY strong enough but still reasonably light...

I hope to get the rest of the glassing done by lunch tomorrow and get a good start
on sanding the enclosure smooooth before i cut it open and dig out the foam...

Back then...

KiM

Hyena   100 GW

100 GW

Post by Hyena » Nov 01 2009 5:42am

AussieJester wrote:i just hope the majority slides out so i dont have to spend the day digging out and scrapping
copious amounts of foam out to be left with a shoddy looking interior
Can you get it out with some sort of solvent ? I've never used that sort of foam so I don't know what its properties are like, but I know petrol etc instantly dissolves some foam. Failing that I reckon a blow torch would probably do the job. Blow torches, that's how I roll :mrgreen:

AussieJester   100 GW

100 GW

Post by AussieJester » Nov 01 2009 5:52am

Reminds me of a lil story the lady at the Fiberglass and Resins Sales told me, there was a bloke that came in bought the same eco-foam im using to build a custom tank for a motorcycle, he shaped the foam like i have done covered it in glass then went to pour petrol in it only to find it wasn't like 'normal' foam it dont melt with petrol...blow torch would also light the glass up LoL..Your run of the mill 'polystyrene foam' is melted by resin...

Be a scrape and dig job im afraid...

KiM

Hyena   100 GW

100 GW

Post by Hyena » Nov 01 2009 6:48am

Bugger...

I reckon it'd look good with a bit of foam still in there, you know, to pad the lipos and what not... :wink:

AussieJester   100 GW

100 GW

Post by AussieJester » Nov 01 2009 8:08am

Nagh... the eco-foam is hard mate, I plan to have sections in the box, ill glass these in place
to slip the assembled packs into, they will then be held in place with Velcro straps, similar way its done in some RC helis, if they handle 3d aerobatics held in place like this they'll be fine in e-bike i figured lol..Ill use neoprene rubber in the box for cushioning to Hyena, be nice and comfo for them when im done LoL..

KiM

AussieJester   100 GW

100 GW

Fiberglass of Battery Construction Finished

Post by AussieJester » Nov 02 2009 2:44am

Update

Well..i finished the 3rd layer of glass today and decided a 4th wont be necessary
its way thick enough now for me too sand a millimeter or so off to flatten it out.
Once i have the internal shelves in place it will also add to the enclosures rigidity..

Not very exciting pics today pretty much look like yesterdays BUT for sake of update here you go-->

Shall work on smoothing the surface tomorrow before i think about cutting the
enclosure to dig out the foam. I do have a to add a thin steel plate to the bottom of
the enclosure as part of the mounting arrangement, i shall work on this tomorrow also,
this plate will have cut outs too fit around the linear actuator and pivot...

Back soon fellas

KiM

etard   1 MW

1 MW

Post by etard » Nov 02 2009 2:39pm

Can't waitto see this battery box Kim. Have you checked out all the different colors of carbon fiber clothe you can buy? You might be able to match that blue you are going for. Also, have you decided on a rim yet? I think I'm going with some Halos in white. I also like the Atomlabs, and for value you can't beat the Rhyno Lites.
Four wheels moves the body, Two wheels moves the soul
Thanks to Justin @ http://www.ebike.ca He brings the soul to ES

AussieJester   100 GW

100 GW

Post by AussieJester » Nov 02 2009 4:37pm

Heeey Frank.. No go on the carbon fiber buddy was ~80 bucks a meter at Fibreglass and Resin Sales..i paid like 4-5 bucks a meter for the glass im using lol..if it was 20-30 bucks a meter i would have gone with it but 80 bucks is a lil steep for me as is theres over $AU130 bucks in materials in the box now and its not anywhere near finished... I could of only done it if i went the more traditional route of making a plug then mould and laying the glass up inside the mould, first layer obviously the carbon fiber, so will be painting
the enclosure, might break out the airbrushes and do some grafix on it some ghost flames would look nice ...until the real ones happen anywayz hehehe...

etard... I have organised a front rim with the local bike shop sorry not sure of the brand was on a high end mountain bike there looked sharp so i said "i want that in 24" Tim is organising it for me as he only stocked that particular rim in 26" shall pic it up when have available funds for it, was around $AU80-90 dollars.

Cheers guyz, 5.30am here i shall be out at it in an hour or so and back with an update in the P.M

KiM

Paul.............D   100 W

100 W

Post by Paul.............D » Nov 02 2009 4:56pm

Hello

I am with etard white wheels blue paint job

Kim you can buy the stick on carbon effect a lad that used to come to the garage did his tank and side panels. it looked real it was stiff to bend but when warm it is very bendable.

Paul

AussieJester   100 GW

100 GW

Post by AussieJester » Nov 02 2009 5:12pm

Paul.............D wrote:Hello

I am with etard white wheels blue paint job

Kim you can buy the stick on carbon effect a lad that used to come to the garage did his tank and side panels. it looked real it was stiff to bend but when warm it is very bendable.

Paul

I know my mate Matt has it on his cruiser, its plain old contact as you cover books with, doesn't stick overly well and peels in time and looks ratty, i will be painting the battery enclosure :-) There has also been a change of plan on the colour and no offence but white wheels ACK...couldnt think of a worse colour TBH...I have double walled silver rim on the back and double walled silver one ordered for the front:-)

KiM

gtadmin   10 kW

10 kW

Post by gtadmin » Nov 03 2009 1:59am

KiM

... but white wheels ACK... couldn't agree with you more.

Build is coming along quite nicely mate, good job :mrgreen: .

Cheers,
GT

Paul.............D   100 W

100 W

Post by Paul.............D » Nov 03 2009 3:41am

Hi Kim

I had seeen a bike in halfords with blue frame white wheels it looked quite stealth one mans beauty is another mans blindness :D

:!: colour shift paint with net stretched over light air brushing net removed could be better than carbon, paint in cans on fleabay. just ideas but then whatever you do looks fantastic.

just thinking hit submit or not, submit wins

:D Paul

AussieJester   100 GW

100 GW

Battery Enclosure Nears Completion

Post by AussieJester » Nov 04 2009 5:12am

Update

Been rather warm last few days so i been taking it easy...I have made
steady progress..Its starting to look 'the tits' too Luke ::wink:: :D -->

Still haven't wet sanded the enclosure, as it is it has 2 heavy coats of spray putty over light body filler (bondo)...
I shall mark and cut the box tomorrow and begin digging out the foam...

Also...I was sitting here today after i had finished sanding and painting, beer in hand admiring my days work
when it came to me! I wonder what the bike would look like in Cafe' Racer / Board Tracker guise..
so...to find out i grabbed the allen key and found out--->

...Actually doesn't look too bad IMHO..i wouldn't use it daily like it though, might be good if i end up taking it too the drags to see how quick she goes... lil fairing on front to duck behind would help a little too hahaa...

Chopped hinged and gas strut installed tomorrow..

Back then fellas...

KiM

Thud   100 MW

100 MW

Post by Thud » Nov 04 2009 6:51am

Been warm?, I bet it never really gets cold there Kim :P I forget your summer is our winter.
Personaly, I love the board tracker look.
The twin discs are sweet also.

I ghetto rigged the battery onto my build just to get a ride in before the snow starts falling. You have inspired me to complete my "batts in the frame" concept. Reminds me of my first real job, making plugs for the hulls & decks at ChrisCraft.
This is already an awsome build. we are already looking foward to your next one LOL.
Cheers T
get some......

All information & advice provided by Thud are "Open Source" & free for personal use & distribution under the following agreement linked below.
http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-nd/3.0/

Burtie   10 kW

10 kW

Post by Burtie » Nov 04 2009 7:01am

Love that fibreglass job!
I might have to pinch that idea to weatherproof my Stinky :mrgreen:

Miles   100 GW

100 GW

Post by Miles » Nov 04 2009 7:14am

Great job on the box, Kim. It would be a complement to any bathroom :mrgreen:

northernmike   10 kW

10 kW

Post by northernmike » Nov 04 2009 7:34am

I need help understanding the cockpit geometry. Can we see a pic with someone sitting on it? :lol:

johnrobholmes   1.21 GW

1.21 GW

Post by johnrobholmes » Nov 04 2009 8:12am

I never noticed the dual disc on front. Where would one source that bit?

1000w   1 kW

1 kW

Post by 1000w » Nov 04 2009 10:17am

It hasn't been that hot softy. :D Maybe in that shed.
Fantastic work on the box mate, love the grill and you will have loads of room in that baby.
I will be up to your place soon to have proper look.
johnrobholmes wrote:I never noticed the dual disc on front. Where would one source that bit?
The twin disc hubs are available from US Cycles.
Cheers,
Matt.

GGoodrum   100 MW

100 MW

Post by GGoodrum » Nov 04 2009 11:02am

Man, another work of art! :lol: You are truly amazing. This is going to end up being a show bike, for sure. :mrgreen:

-- Gary

enoob   1 kW

1 kW

Post by enoob » Nov 04 2009 1:05pm

i love it . ive always been keen to have a lipo battery pack in a backpack and run sans battery box and keep the bike uncluttered but that right there along with some other comments in another post have me thinking custom 12v beer cooler . i plan on using this rig alot at tailgate'ing events and that would be the bees knees.

been catching up on my reading and see your dealing with stainless alot . back in the day i did alot of jetski racing and we used silicone on ss to ss . worked great on threads no gauling , keeps the corrosion out and good virbration resistance all while still letting you undo it. just gob it on and install.
M.E.N.S ex pres and charter member.