Fitting freewheels to splined freehub drivers

Discussions related to motors other than hub motors.
This includes R/C motors, botttom bracket, roller and geared drives.
Scorefield
10 W
10 W

Re: Fitting freewheels to splined freehub drivers

Post by Scorefield » Mar 07, 2010 10:08 am

Crossing fingers for the arrival of them for tomorrow then, need two. :wink:

Scorefield
10 W
10 W

Post by Scorefield » Mar 10, 2010 10:03 am

comradegerry wrote:Anybody know of another source of the flanged Eno free wheel other than Sikebikeparts? They appear to be out at their website.
Gerard
Expect to start shipping again 3/8/10
Email from Sickbikeparts.
We are really hoping by Monday or Tuesday next week. So sorry for the delay. White is a pretty good company but they are slow and don't have good scheduling practices.

katou
10 kW
10 kW

Post by katou » Mar 24, 2010 4:46 pm

Why is no one interested in purchasing a full bike:

http://www.pushandpedal.com/Product/Adu ... 29_S5436Z/#

for 337$ ???

I do not have the money to purchase yet, but this seems to be the cheapest way to go. Purchasing the unit bare at Jenson is 275 or so, and then you have to buy the other bits, clickbox etc.

The fact that no one else seems to see what I see (cheapest way to get a dualdrive hub) makes me wonder... Am I missing something?

Katou

boostjuice
100 kW
100 kW

Post by boostjuice » Mar 24, 2010 8:45 pm

....The Dual-Drive bundled with that cheap bike is the rim brake version. Most people want the disk brake version.

Scorefield
10 W
10 W

Post by Scorefield » Mar 25, 2010 10:00 am

Sickbikeparts is selling again the front freewheel-heavy duty.
whitefw.jpg
whitefw.jpg (32.14 KiB) Viewed 2415 times

katou
10 kW
10 kW

Post by katou » Mar 30, 2010 6:33 pm

Found a tandem (higher loading of hub gears) that uses the Sram Dualdrive:
http://community.bikefriday.com/node/7327?components=1

Comment from a user found on: http://www.bikeforums.net/archive/index ... 10070.html
elares 05-31-05, 12:50 PM

"Bike Friday equips many of their multi seaters with internally geared hubs. We have them on our double and triple. They work well. No troubles."

But temper the good news with:
bentbaggerlen 06-04-05, 08:03 AM

"The older Sachs 3x7 hub and the new Sram 3x9 (http://www.sram.com/dualdrive/) hub are used on the Bike Friday (http://www.bikefriday.com/) tandems with a 20" (406) wheel. Tourque at the hub is lower with a 20" wheel then with a 26 or 700 wheel. The 3x7, 3x8 or 3x9 hubs are not suitable for tandems with larger wheels. Even when used with a 20" wheel if you tell Sram that it was mounted on a tandem they will not warrenty the hub should it fail. If the hub was mounted on a Bike Friday, you return the hub to Bike Friday and they will warrenty the hub.

Now before the flames start flying...the Sachs and Sram hubs are great products as are the bikes offered by Bike Friday. I have had both with out any problems.

The only internal geared hub that is rated for tandems is the Rohloff hub. "

Byte
1 kW
1 kW

Post by Byte » Apr 01, 2010 11:04 am

I didn't read the whole topic, mostly looked at the pictures. I saw that some members modded their own freewheels to fit on splined freehubs, but doesn't somebody sell them here on the forum or a shop? I think if I modify one myself I'll blow it :lol: Or is it really easy to do, with some files?
These:

TylerDurden
100 GW
100 GW

Post by TylerDurden » Apr 01, 2010 12:59 pm

Byte wrote:I didn't read the whole topic, mostly looked at the pictures. I saw that some members modded their own freewheels to fit on splined freehubs, but doesn't somebody sell them here on the forum or a shop? I think if I modify one myself I'll blow it :lol: Or is it really easy to do, with some files?
You can send a FW to Luke and send Thud 20 bux.

In the thread is Miles' handiwork with a "spar-slotter", if you are interested in DIY.
Have a Nice Day,

TD

FYI: Adding pictures?

Bored?... take a crack at the unanswered posts

Please post your Watts-at-speed in the survey.

katou
10 kW
10 kW

Post by katou » Apr 01, 2010 4:17 pm

I read from the beginning, and I for one wish that Miles explained in a bit more detail how he did it.

I have to save up for the hubs still, but just in case Luke gets tired of broaching, it'd be good to have a backup plan.

Katou

TylerDurden
100 GW
100 GW

Post by TylerDurden » Apr 01, 2010 9:23 pm

Miles used his lathe to start the slots: the chuck held the work and the toolpost was rigged to run the file in and out of the work. ( He continued freehand.) Indexing the slots was easy, rotate 4 clicks for the next slot.

https://endless-sphere.com/forums/vi ... 0&#p201570
Have a Nice Day,

TD

FYI: Adding pictures?

Bored?... take a crack at the unanswered posts

Please post your Watts-at-speed in the survey.

Byte
1 kW
1 kW

Post by Byte » Apr 04, 2010 1:57 pm

TylerDurden wrote:
Byte wrote:I didn't read the whole topic, mostly looked at the pictures. I saw that some members modded their own freewheels to fit on splined freehubs, but doesn't somebody sell them here on the forum or a shop? I think if I modify one myself I'll blow it :lol: Or is it really easy to do, with some files?
You can send a FW to Luke and send Thud 20 bux.

In the thread is Miles' handiwork with a "spar-slotter", if you are interested in DIY.
Hmm ok.. I would need 2 freewheels, so it would cost 40 bucks + shipping to Luke + shipping to (me) the Netherlands. I think it's easier and cheaper to ask someone over here in the Netherlands to CNC 2 freewheels for me isn't it?

Oh and what do you guys think, do I really need a HeavyDuty Freewheel for a high-powered bike or would a cheap one like this one (http://www.sickbikeparts.com/catalog/pr ... 5cd39cb1d0) be good enough to handle the power? (Using a Turnigy 80-100-B 130Kv Brushless Outrunner on 10S LiPo)

gwhy!
100 kW
100 kW

Post by gwhy! » Apr 04, 2010 4:19 pm

A cheap acs claw freewheel will be fine for the peddled freewheel but for the motor driven freewheel yes a good quality one will be required I personally think any freewheel with at least 60 engagement points will do the job just as well as a WI ENO. Look for cycletrials freewheels ( the engagement points are often referred to as clicks so look for a least a 60 click freewheel ). But be warned there is no quick fix to fit any onto a freewheel hub. I think one major issue with using one freewheel driving a freewheel hub is that the hub usually has a low count number of clicks so I again personally think it defeats the object ( well it improves it slightly ) of having a high count number of clicks freewheel that is driving a freewheel hub ( not a very good idea for a high power setup ). Having said that there are many things that come into play i.e riding style, throttle control and how the speed controller is setup these can all effect the reliability of this type of setup.

mud2005
10 kW
10 kW

Post by mud2005 » Apr 04, 2010 4:35 pm

Byte wrote:Hmm ok.. I would need 2 freewheels, so it would cost 40 bucks + shipping to Luke + shipping to (me) the Netherlands. I think it's easier and cheaper to ask someone over here in the Netherlands to CNC 2 freewheels for me isn't it?
you need to have it broached, a cnc mill can't cut internal slots in a freewheel AFAIK.
Byte wrote:Oh and what do you guys think, do I really need a HeavyDuty Freewheel for a high-powered bike or would a cheap one like this one (http://www.sickbikeparts.com/catalog/pr ... 5cd39cb1d0) be good enough to handle the power? (Using a Turnigy 80-100-B 130Kv Brushless Outrunner on 10S LiPo)
some of the cheaper freewheels are hardened steel. the WI freewheels are stainless. you might be able to use a cheaper one, but you would need to soften the steel by annealing first.
Future's all yers ya lousy bicycle!
-Paul Newman
Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid

briangv99
100 W
100 W

Post by briangv99 » Apr 06, 2010 8:17 am

hey, came across another possible ready made option for fitting freewheels, at a price. This one eliminates the potential weak link of the freehub.

ImageImageImage

http://kimori.info/en/bike-parts/fixed-gear-adapter

See at 1:25 in the video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hBo_9nupHJg

Won't work on the SRAM DD of course, but should be fine with Shimano hubs etc

They also sell some nice Moulton looking bikes

12p3phPMDC
1 kW
1 kW

Post by 12p3phPMDC » Apr 06, 2010 8:40 am

good find...

It seems like an equivalent could be made for the dual drive though.
"If you don't follow your dreams, you might as well be a vegetable." Burt Munro

The reasonable man adapts himself to the world;
the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself.
Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.
-- George Bernard Shaw

Miles
100 GW
100 GW

Post by Miles » Apr 06, 2010 8:50 am

12p3phPMDC wrote: It seems like an equivalent could be made for the dual drive though.
I'm afraid that would be rather a tricky job.... even if you bypass the freewheel....

Miles
100 GW
100 GW

Post by Miles » Apr 06, 2010 8:54 am

I posted a solution to fitting another type of freewheel to freehubs, without broaching splines. No one commented on it, at the time....... :)

12p3phPMDC
1 kW
1 kW

Post by 12p3phPMDC » Apr 06, 2010 8:58 am

If I understand this correctly, the bottom cog fits over the splines of the freehub to prevent rotation,
and the dogs sticking out of it would engage (what I assume are) spanner wrench notches of the "normal" maybe bored out freewheel.

Thus, the normal freewheel is dependent to the holding power of the fixed cog?

-- George Bernard Shaw

Miles
100 GW
100 GW

Post by Miles » Apr 06, 2010 9:03 am

Yes, that's it 12p. You beat me to posting the final pic :)

12p3phPMDC
1 kW
1 kW

Post by 12p3phPMDC » Apr 06, 2010 9:06 am

Cool, I didn't understand it the first time, I must have learned something... 8)

pretty slick..

So, the freehub would isolate the pedals from the fixed cog like normal, and the freewheel would isolate the motor.

Certainly cheaper than two freewheels.

-- George Bernard Shaw

gwhy!
100 kW
100 kW

Post by gwhy! » Apr 06, 2010 9:10 am

12p3phPMDC wrote:Cool, I didn't understand it the first time, I must have learned something... 8)

pretty slick..

So, the freehub would isolate the pedals from the fixed cog like normal, and the freewheel would isolate the motor.

Certainly cheaper than two freewheels.

But the motor will drive the peddles :(

Miles
100 GW
100 GW

Post by Miles » Apr 06, 2010 9:14 am

12p3phPMDC wrote: So, the freehub would isolate the pedals from the fixed cog like normal, and the freewheel would isolate the motor.
No, you'd still need 2 freewheels on the driver, for dual independence, unless you have freewheeling cranks (as I did).

This method works with freewheels which have recessed removal slots and no neck, like this:
Attachments
Viz freewheel.jpg
Viz freewheel.jpg (115.2 KiB) Viewed 2478 times

12p3phPMDC
1 kW
1 kW

Post by 12p3phPMDC » Apr 06, 2010 9:24 am

Ah yes, thanks Gents...didn't think that through...the motor would drive the pedals unless you had a freewheeling crank.

-- George Bernard Shaw

GGoodrum
100 MW
100 MW

Post by GGoodrum » Apr 06, 2010 12:39 pm

12p3phPMDC wrote:Ah yes, thanks Gents...didn't think that through...the motor would drive the pedals unless you had a freewheeling crank.
Not if you used two freewheels. The cogs could simply be used as adapters, and the teeth could be cut off. Miles, if the recessed-type freewheels are used, can the cog/FW combo be narrow enough that two could fit on the splined hub? Did you just take a regular cog, and cut it so it has the two "tool" dogs?

The Kimori part is very cool as well, but I'm guessing not available except in Japan?

-- Gary

Miles
100 GW
100 GW

Post by Miles » Apr 06, 2010 12:55 pm

GGoodrum wrote:Miles, if the recessed-type freewheels are used, can the cog/FW combo be narrow enough that two could fit on the splined hub? Did you just take a regular cog, and cut it so it has the two "tool" dogs?
There's not space on the driver for 2 freewheels and 2 modified cogs, unfortunately... to fix the outer freewheel you'd have to make an adapter to fit the driver's internal (lock-ring) thread.

Yes, I milled away most of the cog's rim, to create the 2 dogs.

Broached ENO is the best solution. The above method was my first try at fixing a freewheel on a cassette driver.
GGoodrum wrote:The Kimori part is very cool as well, but I'm guessing not available except in Japan?
They're a clever design but the wheelbase is too short for me......... I'm not into wheelies.... :)