Cyclone - reverse rotation - freewheel sprocket?

Kevinator

100 W
I'd like to reverse the rotation on my Cyclone motor (1 chainwheel kit) to improve my mounting options. I understand that this can be accomplished by rewiring the connection between the motor and controller. I think the only thing that will be an issue is the motor's freewheel sprocket. My motor currently spins counter-clockwise, and I would like it to spin clockwise like the 3 chainwheel kit.

Anyone know how to remove the sprocket? If I manage to get it removed, can the sprocket be flipped around and reinstalled to reverse the freewheel for the new motor direction, or will I need to order a new freewheel sprocket? Are there any sources in the US for these sprockets? TIA

which motor are you trying to reverse. one with the internal controller? external controller? 360W 1500W 650W?

are there any psychics in the audience?

when you order the motors you can specify direction of rotation.

email "paco" at cyclone in taiwan and he will email back directions of how to reverse your particular motor or controller.

if you use the "SEARCH" feature of the board you can see that someone has already taken one model of these apart and posted detailed pictures of the guts. try a word like "CYCLONE" in the search box. then scan the title line of the results. could be educational.

rick

I have a 360w (internal controller) and a 900w (external controller), both of them are 1-chainring kits that spin CCW.

I already went through the cyclone thread with the moneyshots of the cyclone guts. I didn't see any details about removing the freewheel sprocket. As I had mentioned, the wiring part is not my main concern.

Hi, if it is the chrome Dicta 14t freewheel you have....it should screw off from the alloy boss using a freewheel remover. If you dont have one a bike shop should be able to do it for you. Not sure about flipping the freewheel over, but there are BMX freewheels from ACS and Odyssey etc. that are available in both left and right hand drive

Ian :D

Kevinator said:
I'd like to reverse the rotation on my Cyclone motor (1 chainwheel kit) to improve my mounting options. I understand that this can be accomplished by rewiring the connection between the motor and controller. I think the only thing that will be an issue is the motor's freewheel sprocket. My motor currently spins counter-clockwise, and I would like it to spin clockwise like the 3 chainwheel kit.

Anyone know how to remove the sprocket? If I manage to get it removed, can the sprocket be flipped around and reinstalled to reverse the freewheel for the new motor direction, or will I need to order a new freewheel sprocket? Are there any sources in the US for these sprockets? TIA

I know that somewhere on the site there is a very detailed instruction on how it's done. I know this because I was thinking about doing the same thing. I contacted Jim Olson of Cyclone USA and he quoted me $50 to reverse the direction + shipping both ways. To me it's worth $50 to avoid the risk of screwing it up.

The problem will be even if you flip the freewheel that with reversed rotation the force will be to unscrew the freewheel. I've screwed them on with epoxy on the threads so they won't unscrew after curing. That was just with pedal cranks, so I don't know if it will work with motor torque. It would be permanent though, unless you heat the epoxy up past it's failure point to get it off.

John in CR said:
The problem will be even if you flip the freewheel that with reversed rotation the force will be to unscrew the freewheel. I've screwed them on with epoxy on the threads so they won't unscrew after curing. That was just with pedal cranks, so I don't know if it will work with motor torque. It would be permanent though, unless you heat the epoxy up past it's failure point to get it off.

Actually you can flip the freewheel over to run the other direction wit hno problem at all as long as you flip the adapter with it. As long as the adapter is put on backward it will still tighten the freewheel as the gear turns hust as it does normally. I've done it.

Correct. You put the freewheel adaptor on 'back to front'.

If you want, you can mess with the shunt while its open too. You need to set the resistors as follows to change the direction of the motor.

CCW (Standard)-

R22 - Shorted
R23 - Shorted
R8 - Shorted
R33 - Open
R32 - Open
R31 - Open

CW (Modified) -

R22 - Open
R23 - Open
R8 - Open
R33 - Shorted
R32 - Shorted
R31 - Shorted

do you have any photos how to do? i have a 500watts, motor internal, will like to changed to clock wise.

thankyou.
kentlim

There was a PDF posted on this a while ago...

The resistors in question are right near the hall sensors. (centre of the board) Their numbers are quite clear to read. They are zero ohm links, so can be bridged with solder.

R8 is the only one thats not clear, looks like R6.

Attachments

• Direction Resistors.jpg
    Direction Resistors.jpg
    155.4 KB · Views: 1,806
Try this step-by-step guide

http://www.endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=14379#p214973

Sunny

Back