coleasterling wrote:We've gotten more testing done and the actual Kv is around 102...Nice! The controller isn't in yet, but according to Kelly, should be in this week. After that, we can really start putting thing thing through its paces. I'll be sure to update as soon as the controller is in. The hall sensor mount is also made and the halls are ready to go in...Just waiting on the controller.
Now for something funky. I used the 4-wire method to measure the resistance between each set of phase wires in delta and it came in well under 20mohms...Seems really low to me. Does that seem feasible to yall? The setup was a power supply with the motor and a small lightbulb in series, with one multimeter measuring current and another measuring the voltage drop across 2 sets of phase wires. I let the system get to somewhat steady state, then took the voltage drop divided by the current to get the resistance. I did it with and without the lightbulb and got the same resistance, also. The equipment is top notch (Fluke 289, Fluke 43B), so that's probably not the issue if there is one.
Since we are at the New Year, I thought I would bump this thread for any updates about this motor's testing & production. I know Bob retired, but the new ownership ought to be going in some direction by now... and, hopefully, they are committed to getting this motor built too?recumpence wrote:I plan on puting these into production once fully developed.
Can length--- 4.5 inches
Can diameter--- 3.75 inches
Shaft diameter--- 1/2 inch (keyway shafts will be used)
Expected efficiency--- 94% (more on this later)
Continuous power--- 14kw
Burst power--- 25kw
Weight--- Under 7 pounds (expected)
Basically, this is a radically redone and expanded Astro motor that we make 50% in-house and Astro winds and installs the laminations for me.
The 94% efficiency is a number Bob came up with based on the 3220 motors. Most of them peak at well over 94% efficiency. Also, this is essentially one and 1/2 3220 motors. As such, it should be good for 14kw without active cooling, or 20kw with fans (even more in short bursts). This motor is 1.5 times the power of a 3220 with 3 times the cooling surface area giving a net 50% increase in cooling area per lamination size versus the 3220.
Anyway, this is not a one time thing. I have plans to make many of these motors.
The cells are rated conservatively by GM at 7.8C, Yabert's tests of Volt packs on the DiyEv car forum suggest a higher C rate, 15+ C!.
$1,400 plus $360 freight. Still over $1k less than new lead!
I do not know the model number off the top of my head. But, yes it has a tool changer, spindle coolant feed, and a X axis only table. The Y axis is on the head casting along with the Z. We got a crazy good deal on that mill.katou wrote:I don't know how big your Okuma is, but from the pictures, they look like full-featured machines. I'm guessing with full flood coolant, tool carousel/changer?
Funnily enough, that is the exact same position i'm in in 2011, renting workshop space for my new fabrication business off my CNC router mate who will be cutting out my frame parts...recumpence wrote:Dave is the shop owner and my CNC machinist. I am just a client of his who happens to rent space from him and give him lots of work.
Hell yeah!!!recumpence wrote:Maybe I should take a week or so off and learn the machines with him.
What is the no load amps at that rpm ? Should be less then 10amps im betting. We found that a very small timing adjustment made a huge difference on the collossus! There is a guy by the name brutie who made a soft ware base hall timing adjustment tool. So you can set a base rpm timing offset and a rpm based timing offset!coleasterling wrote:I think our Kelly is doing some funky stuff. Out of the 36 combinations, we have 24(24!!!) that spin the motor. Each of these 24 spin the motor approximately the same...We get to 4500-4600 rpm on each of those on 95V. I am thinking part of it could be the electrical rpm as well as timing. Our Kelly is supposed to have the super high speed option which gives us 100k e-rpm, but who knows. I am going to test that by machining a magnet holder that only has 2 magnets in it to trick the controller into thinking the motor is spinning a quarter of the speed it really is. If this increases our rpm, then we know what part of the problem is!
I am also doing another hall sensor mount since the last one didn't seem to be adequate. The hall sensor wires were a little more fragile than expected. This one will be a custom CNC'd circuit board that will better support the halls and allow us to solder larger wires to them. It will also allow easier timing.
Progress is slower than expected due to some very unfortunate events that I can't detail, but IS continuing.