Minimizing chain noise

swbluto

10 TW
How does one minimize chain noise?

I know everyone has an idea of the noise involved with a chain setup after watching recumpence's video. However, he purposely tries to get motor RPMs as high as possible and the gear ratios down to maximize power from a motor, so I don't think that's a best example of the quietness one can achieve with a chain setup. Take pedaling a bicycle for instance - do you hear the chain noise when pedaling? If you do, it should be pretty quiet. So it seems like it's technically possible to have a "quiet chain", although to what extent a chain system can quieted with a certain amount of high power is unknown to me.

According to one place, a slower chain speed (like feet/minute) results in less noise. So does a smaller pitch. So does a larger tooth count.

With the smaller pitch data, just use a smaller pitch when it's within rating to do so. Like, in a 2 stage design, #25 first and then a regular bicycle chain second.

Now slowing down chain-speed. How does one do that without changing the total gear ratio?

I would think the fastest moving chain will be the one on the motor, so I'm looking at slowing that down and increasing the final stage chain speed to compensate. So I'd imagine one would effectively decrease the gear ratio on the first stage, and increase the gear ratio of the second stage.

But, for a given motor RPM, a larger tooth count passes along more chain for a given rotation so I'd imagine a larger motor sprocket would increase first stage chain speed (If the total gear ratio was kept the same). So, the solution to reduce chain speed there is to decrease the tooth count at the jack-shaft sprocket or go with less teeth on the motor sprocket (But, then below 12t or whatever, chordal noise comes into play).

Now onto the second stage. To increase the gear ratio to compensate, one could increase the wheel sprocket or decrease the jackshaft sprocket. I don't see any problems with either approach like was seen with the motor's sprocket.

So, it sounds like the solution is to keep motor sprocket low enough, but not too low where chordal noise comes into play, reduce the jackshaft sprocket that links to motor, decrease/"minimize" the jackshaft sprocket that links to wheel and/or increase/maximize the wheel sprocket. And this assumes one wants to maintain the same gear ratio although, I think this could also apply in general to different gear ratios.

Any other tips or strategies for minimizing chain noise?

It sounded like lubrication was key.

Another way to minimize chain noise would be to decrease the motor RPMs, but motor RPMs seem to be definitively intertwined with extractable power, so if one wants some relatively good power, this can only be taken so far. Or can it? I'm trying to figure out a way, but they all seem to involve increased motor heating when hill climbing according to my simulator. I'm not sure if I just haven't found the right strategy, it's impossible, or there is just some "optimum" value combining lower motor RPM, lower motor heating and sufficient extractable power that I just have to hunt down.

Regular bike chain on the front stage isn't too bad if you use a 16t->48t combo. I have the same for the second stage too...but then my motor/chains are several feet behind me and I appreciate the noise..

I think my first stage isn't crazy-loud because I've made the chain as short as possible. My idea was to reduce the part of the chain that's not engaged in the sprockets so that there's less chain acting like a string instrument. Maybe it helps..maybe not. later

swbluto said:
How does one minimize chain noise?
Easy,... use a 'rubber' chain.

2rw7rfa.jpg

1z6b5ae.jpg

Papa said:
Indeed, HTD profiles do suck, that's why I use Poly Chain® GT®2.

Very nice ratings for the 8mm style. 100's of kw at 1000 rpm? Sign me up. :)

But, I can't seem to find many pulleys designed for gt2, except for sparse $300 models on ebay.

swbluto said:
Very nice ratings for the 8mm style. 100's of kw at 1000 rpm? Sign me up. :)

But, I can't seem to find many pulleys designed for gt2, except for sparse $300 models on ebay.
Ebay sucks too! Need to go here:

http://kscdirect.com/search_results.php?q=8mx

or here for limited selection of surplus:

http://www.youngssurplus.com/synchr-pulleys.htm

The pics I posted previously are Phil Wood gems. Spendy puppies, but he'll carve you any specs you wish.

For GT2, you need sprockets that begin with "8mx" (8mm pitch), the second designation is # of groves example: "30s" is 30 groves, the "s" indicates sprocket. The last designation is width, example: "12" indicates 12mm. All run together, the part number looks like, 8mx-30s-12. There's more, but at least that'll get ya started. I have local CNC access so will be carving a few from 7075T6 in the coming weeks.

Miles said:
http://www.gates.com/brochure.cfm?brochure=3117&location_id=3881

From your link Re: the HTD® Sprocket with GT2 belt

10pydky.jpg

Why bring Poly Chain into it - no wonder I'm confused :roll: :)

Sorry, Papa, I can see now that you wrote PolyChain GT2.

This just illustrates Gates stupid nomenclature. :lol:

Miles said:
This just illustrates Gates stupid nomenclature. :lol:

Indeed...

No apologies necessary. This GT PolyShit has caught me off guard more than once. :oops:

Ok, let's sum up:

8M PowerGrip GT and HTD profiles are the same.

8M PolyChain GT profile is different.

PolyChain has a significantly higher torque handling capability than PowerGrip. The belts are also much more expensive than those for PowerGrip.

Moving from 5M PowerGrip to 8M PowerGrip is itself a significant change in torque handling capability.

Gates Bicycle drive system uses 11M PolyChain.

Phil Wood sprockets are for 8M or 11M PolyChain?

Strida system uses 8M PowerGrip.

Miles said:
... The belts are also much more expensive than those for PowerGrip.
Dunno.

I do know that I bought two carbon belts and paid $42 ea. These are 2240mm (88.18") long. It's actually cheaper than purchasing two 9-speed chains (which 'was' originally required for my 'bent).

I think the equivalent PowerGrip belt would be about a third of that price. As you say, though, not a significant difference when compared with good quality chains.

Miles said:
Gates Bicycle drive system uses 11M PolyChain.
Yes, but you won't find the part # in anywhere on Gates' site. And were you aware that Gates also offers an 8mm pitch tandem drive? http://www.carbondrivesystems.com/forbikemakers.php I have no idea if the sprockets are compatible with their 8m industrial carbon.

Miles said:
Phil Wood sprockets are for 8M or 11M PolyChain?
Dunno. Here's the email response I received from PW:

We can do any front sprocket size you like, from 44 to 71 teeth, in 4 or
5 bolt, and many BCDs. You just need to specify how many teeth, bolts,
and BCD and we'll be able to provide it. The cost of the part can range
from $285 to $355 depending on the previous listed factors. It is
compatible with the standard Gates belt.

Darla Sasaki

Papa said:
And were you aware that Gates also offers an 8mm pitch tandem drive? http://www.carbondrivesystems.com/forbikemakers.php
No. Thanks, that's useful to know :)

Blimey, those Phil Wood sprockets are expensive :shock:

Might be worth enquiring the cost of a custom, here: http://www.pfeiferindustries.com/custom_design.htm

Okay, so I'm getting the idea one needs to pay 100s of dollars for a custom GT2 drive. Let's get back to the practical choices...

Does anyone have ratings on the HTD belts greater than 5mm? Like 8mm, 14mm, 20mm or something else? It seems that Gates doesn't make this information so easily accessible/findable from their site.

Also, any ratings on the PowerGrip GT2 belts? It looks like 8mm GT2 belts can fit in 8mm HTD sprockets, and I'd imagine 8mm HTD sprockets are relatively abundant.

Gates provides free design software for its belt drives. You have to register first though: http://www.gates.com/designflex/index.cfm?location_id=809

As well as the software that Malcolm linked to, there are power rating tables for 8M on page 54 of the PowerGrip GT2 Design Manual (see attached).

PowerGrip GT3 has a slightly better spec.

Attachments

• Gates GT2 Design Manual.pdf
    5.6 MB · Views: 445
Back