Custom Build... 2 Speed H.O.B.O Powered e-Cruiser

Worlklog for the 2 Speed Thudster Box Equipped Cruiser

As many are aware i have started a new build that will be home for a 2 Speed box Thud has generously
offered to build for me, along with a re-winding of the old HXT Turnigy to give it some more beans and reliability
Huge thanks to Thud for this, i believe there is a limited number of these boxes being made
i am extremely appreciative that Thud has offered one of them to me for my bike, the generosity of the people
of this forum constantly blows me away, i freaking love this hobby and the die hard developers that continue to
push it forward...Thankyou Todd :)

The bike, I am basing the frame on a Basman frame-->

33aflmp.jpg

^^^This is similar to what i am chasing, i want a lil more ground clearance
and slightly smaller rear end to better fit a 24in rim/ tire combo.

I made a few rough sketches to get the sizing and placement of components, CAD
buffs are in for a treat here BEHOLD :mrgreen: -->

Capture.PNG

:mrgreen: As you can see i still haven't warmed to using AutoCAD (or any other CAD software LoL)
hey! i used a rule this time!...and mathomat mines a lil different
but has circles i used for the wheels :lol:

Not having 'a certain "member from Costa Rica's skills" to build frames accurately without a jig, i decided another frame jig was
needed, this time however a i wanted a re-usable jig for future builds-->

I used a couple of pieces of exercise equipment i found during kerbside rubbish collection

Exercise_equipment.jpg

The addition of a new hydraulic height adjustable bench in my workshop has been a god send makes things so
much easier for me, the jig sits upon it.

IMG_5474.jpg

Currently its set for this new frame, but could easily be altered for next build. I shall keep it stored away between builds.

IMG_5482.jpg

One issue i have had with the last 2 frame builds is sourcing a 1 1/8 I.D head tube, on both occasions Matt.P has come to the rescue
donating first a OCC Chopper frame and now a West Coast Chopper frame, the headset was cut and cleaned
HUGE props to Matt, thanks again mate :) -->

IMG_5489.jpg

IMG_5505.jpg

IMG_5507.jpg

I started bending tubes couple of days ago, taking it slow and steady, the tubing being used
is ~31mm OD with a 1.6mm wall thickness for the front of the frame, chain stays will us ~21mm 1.6mm wall thickness

IMG_5488.jpg

After making a mess of a couple of pieces i finally got the 'lines' i was looking for
in this frame, i roughly cut the tubing to length before I laid the frame out on the
concrete for a better look-->

View attachment 2

Happy with the bends i then went about mounting the frame into the jig
notching the ends of the tubing and tacking it together-->

IMG_5521.jpg

All the tubes lined up beautifully, they are very 'sturdy' tacs :D this combined with the jig
holding the frame in position for full welding will see the frame stay in this exact shape :)
FYI: Frame has ~30 degree of rake for the curious amongst you...

I intended to work on the rear of the frame yesterday afternoon but a mate getting me metal plate
for the rear dropouts didn't come through (his boss was on the lookout all day apparently LOL)
I have some RHS beam here i use as an Anvil i will chop into instead , these will be some more
seriously thick dropouts to make Hyena'sfrock fan bois jealous LoL

So...I positioned some scrap tubing on the rear to get an idea how the rear will come together-->

Hopefully next update will see pretty much complete frame ready for full welding...

As always the build will be delayed due to $$$ and freight wait times, but i shall endeavor
to have this bike finished ALOT quicker time than the cruiser has taken, looking at 3 months
MAX hopefully sooner for full mock up ride. I guess some will be wondering colours i will be using
for this frame? well.. I am going with Satin Black (differs slightly from GangSTa 8) black)...All alloy
parts not polished to chrome finish will
be anodized Blue...Sun Ringle DoubleWide Disc Rim will be used supporting either Schwalbe Tyres Crazy BoB 2.35in or
2.5in Maxxis Hookworms depending how the $$$ situation is going...likely 26in up front 24in rear like pictured bike above...
The drive train...obviously a 2 Speed Thudster box driving via chain on the left side of the bike to
rear sprocket, manual pedal will be right side...very simple.. Hydraulic disks all round
8in front 6in rear..Forks...am on the lookout for some 5-6 year old triple
crown Downhill forks for ~300 bucks...hear of any let me know...Cruiser will run a sensored setup (eventually)
what controller this will be remains to be seen, when time comes to purchase i will see what is going
if it was now, a 18fet infineon most likely with magic from Mr Edward Lyen wavved over it, he is working
on sensorless infineon for these HXT motors hopefully that will materialize sooner rather than later now
he has a pair of these motors to work with...Will run 66v (initially) Lithium Polymer batter config
using GGoodrum boards and balancing system.

Thats about it for now...any thing not covered above ask me and i'll be more than happy
to answer any questions...

Back soon with update...

KiM

:!: :shock: :!:

Awesome! I can't believe you are this far along already! Congratulations on the fab table setup, that will be nice to work with I bet! Can't wait to see the progress, and I'm blown away by what you have there already. I see you are using a pneumatic cylinder for the stabilizers this time? What are you using for an air source/storage tank? Keep in mind I looked mostly at the photos, and read little. I will come back and edit if I screwed up Lol...

AJ,
Did your "medicine" supplier fail to come this week? Looks like you put the ax to the grindstone, with few distractions or something. :lol:

Awesome, can't wait to see this build, that basman is badass bike, I like the seat too. Finally got to see the weight bench in action, I shall be scavenging for the same soon.

Definately looking forward to the videos, should be some tire smokin monos! :twisted:

the basman bike looks good. im sure yours will look way better after seeing you build the chopper. also it wont have a frock motor, but an RC motor? sounds like it will be one helluva ride. :twisted:

i also like your "CAD" skills kim. :D nothing like good ol' fashion pen and paper...lol

Good score on the donor frame, Matt is like the Miles of the real world for rapidly presenting solutions :lol:
The Aussie flag in the background is a nice touch 8)

Not that I'm not a fan of your other cruiser but what you're planning for this one is almost exactly what I was planning for my cruiser build - right down the the 24 in the rear and 26 up front. It's a bit hard to tell from the pics so far but will this one see you sitting up a little higher than your other one ?
I think while you're at it you better make 2 :wink:

daddz said:
almost has a cafe racer style to it, i like. seriously looking forward to watching this build from scratch :D

Agreed, i like the Cafe' racer look myself :wink:

etard said:
Definately looking forward to the videos, should be some tire smokin monos! :twisted:

Yes and alot cheaper tires to replace than the 4inch wide jobs so
i expect there will be a few cheap tires sent to the burnout gods by my mates hahaa..

def215 said:
i also like your "CAD" skills kim. :D nothing like good ol' fashion pen and paper...lol

Yes, long as i get the general idea on paper i'm good to go, prefer building than sitting for hours designing then 20 pages talking about how to do it... :lol:

Hyena said:
Good score on the donor frame, Matt is like the Miles of the real world for rapidly presenting solutions :lol:
The Aussie flag in the background is a nice touch 8)

hahaa yes... He has another good score dunno if Matt is going to
post it or not/ But he was given an electric scooter! he bought
it up when he dropped the frame off, excellent condition
(aside from batteries) so Matt robbed the lipo pack
s from his RC heli to run it what a champ hehee...
Went well for what it is too, climbed the hill out front
of my place ...slowly ... but made it!

...My brother has been around a bit lately as he is also
building a new 66cc gasser bicycle so i ordering parts
from ZBox for him, he spotted a flag and thought of me-->

IMG_5525.jpg

dontsendbubbamail said:
but you need to allocate more time to getting liquored up.

Actually Bubba, i am on a self imposed alcohol free month! :shock: Blame Matt.P he bought it too my attention but
i am as usual late hahaa In oz we have what is called Dry July ill be doing Dry August instead :p One week and some change in and i is alcohol free..
joint.gif
...at least :mrgreen:

def215 said:
the basman bike looks good. im sure yours will look way better after seeing you build the chopper. also it wont have a frock motor, but an RC motor? sounds like it will be one helluva ride. :twisted:

its to technical for me, i still use mud maps :lol:

edit, well no i dont, i get an image and work from that :shock:

AussieJester said:
hahaa yes... He has another good score dunno if Matt is going to
post it or not/ But he was given an electric scooter! he bought
it up when he dropped the frame off, excellent condition
(aside from batteries) so Matt robbed the lipo pack
s from his RC heli to run it what a champ hehee...
Went well for what it is too, climbed the hill out front
of my place ...slowly ... but made it!
I put it up in the stand up scooter section. http://www.endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=20514

Frame is looking good Kim, I will be watching with much interest.
Cheers,
Matt.P.

Ahhh of course forgots about the scooter section on ES...check your email Matt i sent you through some
ripper scooter pics i just received myself ;)

Not much to report other than I got the material required for my rear dropouts lat this afternoon :D

IMG_5528.jpg

IMG_5530.jpg

And some extras for future builds :wink: Also came up with a simple template of the dropout

IMG_5534.jpg

which will also allow easy addition of a disk brake mount when i get
the hub and brakes here....same as i did with the cruiser...

Shall mark and cut these and complete the rear end tomorrow with luck...
also have a few new cans of anti spatter spray will cut down on cleaning time :wootz:

KiM

Kim,
I hope you didn't pay too much for them calipers.....they are missing all the acurate "imperial" measurments :lol:

BTW I will be using metric bolts (6mm) for the atachment points on your box. figure that is prolly on the shelves down under & not in the up-priced "special" isle in the hardware dept.

New bike is looking good! :)

I like the more compact, more handleing oriented frame layout much more. :)

Your work as always is amazing to see, and inspirational to folks around the world who are on the fence about trying a big DIY themselves. :)

WOW must be nice to have time to work on things! You are already ahead of me! Looking good though!

Whiplash said:
WOW must be nice to have time to work on things!
Yeah while we're all out working this asshole is sitting around in his wheelchair kicking back... :lol:

beautiful work, AJ!...uh...don't take this as a criticism, but...later on you might try out handlebars that are slightly higher, they "might" give you a more comfortable posture for longer rides. Like this? (please disregard my mate indicating his opinion that I am #1 !)

dennis-hopper-easy-rider-bird%20flip.jpg

Yes, another motivated build! Only a few more days and I can join you in the bending and welding fun!

Can't wait to see how she turns out!

spinningmagnets said:
... but...later on you might try out handlebars that are slightly higher, they "might" give you a more comfortable posture for longer rides. ...

the higher ur wrists, the sooner ur hands fall asleep. for longer rides ur hands have to be below ur heart.

btt: im lookin forward to this build. looks very nice so far. when i first stumbled about ur first build i was totally stoked and had to read 60+ pages , cant stop.

Thud said:
Kim,
I hope you didn't pay too much for them calipers.....they are missing all the accurate "imperial" measurments :lol:

HAHA actually was given too me, has REAL measurements on it Thud :lol:

Thud said:
BTW I will be using metric bolts (6mm) for the attachment points on your box. figure that is prolly on the shelves down under & not in the up-priced "special" isle in the hardware dept.

Excellent metric FTW, makes it MUCH easier for me cheers mate :)

FrankG said:
Hey Kim,

What is happening with the Original Cruiser???.

Keeping it Frank won't be sold or broken down, it will be my daily ride
this new bike will be the 'experimental' thrash machine :twisted: <-- :mrgreen:

liveforphysics said:
New bike is looking good! :)

I like the more compact, more handling oriented frame layout much more. :)

Cheers Luke :) .. will be alot lighter to buddy with a set Boxster downhill forks (or similar)
up front she will look very sporty i think ..or as daddz said 'Cafe' Racer like :)

Hyena said:
Whiplash said:
WOW must be nice to have time to work on things!
Yeah while we're all out working this asshole is sitting around in his wheelchair kicking back... :lol:

What have i told you about checking forums while at work boy BACK TO WORK
watching.gif
:mrgreen:

spinningmagnets said:
beautiful work, AJ!...uh...don't take this as a criticism, but...later on you might try out handlebars that are slightly higher, they "might" give you a more comfortable posture for longer rides. Like this? (please disregard my mate indicating his opinion that I am #1 !)

Cheers mate, and no i prefer low bars, anything that gets high reminds me of those ridiculous looking
apehanger bars :roll:

Well...I Had a bit of an interrupted day as such didn't get as much done as
i would have liked.

Trimmed my template up a lil marked the shape of the desired dropout on
steel and ripped into it-->

IMG_5540.jpg

IMG_5541.jpg

IMG_5542.jpg

IMG_5544.jpg

IMG_5546.jpg

IMG_5547.jpg

IMG_5548.jpg

IMG_5553.jpg

As i only managed to get the rear droputs cutout today i slipped out to the workshop
this evening and bent up a couple of chain stays... shall do the remaining
two and tack it all in place...

IMG_5555.jpg

IMG_5557.jpg

Apologies this is shocking pic i should of used flash...shall get better pics
when shes all tacked up anyhoot...

IMG_5559.jpg

Cheers all...

KiM

spinningmagnets said:

A still of Billy from my favourite movie! I must have snuck out of college half a dozen times to go and watch Easy Rider. I still have the soundtrack loaded on to a USB stick in the car....................

Jeremy

This is turning into another mega thread to watch, Kim. As ever I'm impressed with the rate at which stuff comes together in your hands, along with the artistry of the design.

Jeremy

Hyena had a good idea.

Make two of the frames and put the other one up for sale when you get the bike close to being finished. Think of the fun you'd have touting the extra frame all the way through the build thread. :mrgreen: I bet it would sell itself with a tidy profit for you. This might also give you something to do as you wait for $$$ and parts. :idea:

Geez, you're already up to two pages, and I just noticed the new thread. :eek:

Looks great. Can't wait to see how Thud's 2-speed unit integrates into this. What are you planning for a battery/electronics enclosure this time, something similar to the cruiser?

Anyway, again we will all marvel at how quickly this comes together, and the amazing build quality you manage with all those "high-tech" tools. :)

-- Gary

Jeremy Harris said:
This is turning into another mega thread to watch, Kim. As ever I'm impressed with the rate at which stuff comes together in your hands, along with the artistry of the design.

Jeremy

Thankyou for the positive words Jeremy, i hope it will turn out as well if not better than the cruiser, each
completed build IMO has improved in some ways from the last...I was just showing brothers missus few pics of older
projects other day, can see the quality of finish has progressed somewhat from the first trike :lol:

custome_trike_finished_pic.JPG
Custom_trike_first_pics_new_rears2.jpg
IMG_5414.jpg

Soon shall see how number 4 turns out :D

nicobie said:
Hyena had a good idea.

Make two of the frames and put the other one up for sale when you get the bike close to being finished. Think of the fun you'd have touting the extra frame all the way through the build thread. :mrgreen: I bet it would sell itself with a tidy profit for you. This might also give you something to do as you wait for $$$ and parts. :idea:

Yes Hyena has his eyes on one for himself nicobie ;) Trouble i have had bending this lighter
tube with my bender will ensure that doesn't happen until i can pick up a better roller bender, Blls Machinery
had some nice ones last time i was there for ~300 bucks that were brilliant...but no $$$
to splurge on one then.

GGoodrum said:
Geez, you're already up to two pages, and I just noticed the new thread. :eek:

Looks great. Can't wait to see how Thud's 2-speed unit integrates into this. What are you planning for a battery/electronics enclosure this time, something similar to the cruiser?

Anyway, again we will all marvel at how quickly this comes together, and the amazing build quality you manage with all those "high-tech" tools. :)

-- Gary

Cheers Gary... The 2 Speed Thudster Box will fit nicely on the 'seat tube' of the frame, i will be making a mount
for the drive to sit flush onto, using clamps on this curved tube would be problematic to get right IMO
to drive the left side of the rear wheel, I'm ordering a brake mount sprocket adapter from Matt.S which should
make things a breeze as far as motor drive line goes. Pedal side...well haha can have as many gears as i want
that won't ever be used :lol: i have a nice Shimano DEORE XT derailleur here which would take the
chain adjustment of manual pedal side out of the equation...for most of the part anywayz...Be using
lipos and will have upper and lower carbon fiber/fiberglass enclosures Gary..and yes
its likely there will be 'scoops' involved hahaa ;)

Thanks all for the input appreciate it...

KiM

Back