General discussion for "RC" builds...............

recumpence

1 GW
On Earth right now. That can change at any time, t
Hey Guys,

This thread is for information regarding successful "RC" setups. By "Successful" builds I mean what motors, controllers, throttles, drive systems, batteries, etc are you guys running that have proven to be reliable and easy to use. That definition may be a bit loose. But, I think you get the general idea. :)

So, lets post what we have learned about these systems that may be pertenant to others who are looking to setup their own similar system.

For me, I have had success with Plettenberg motors (very expensive), and Astro motors (still a bit costly, but not nearly as bad as Plettenberg), Castle Creations HV110, HV140, and HV160 controllers. I also am a big fan of Lipo batteries. I like parallel drives (second chain running the left side of the rear wheel) with a freewheel for independant pedal, motor, or combined pedal and power drive. Most systems I have run that have proven reliable are geared for under 40mph and under 4kw. I also am sold on slipper clutches to protect electric and mechanical components from abuse.

So, who has a system they would like to describe with information regarding reliability, compatibility, and useability?

I want to hear about the friction drives as well. We need to compile all related information in one location for easy searching.

Matt

I have the Turnigy 80-100 130kv motor have used a Castle Controller HV160 and a HV100
both esc worked faultlessly zero sync issues. HV100 though did fail when pushed well above itsrated limits, recommend hv160 if rc esc is used with this motor. Only drawback IMO is Intital start there is a few stutters, light push off or pedal when starting does negates this.

KiM

I dont want to complicate this but just a thought..
Is it worthwhile also posting up component combination that are known to give problems ?
It may help steer people away from poor decisions.
As someone else mentioned, it would be neat to compile a "Matrix" of component combinations with a :D or a :evil: to denote effectiveness.

Hillhater said:
I dont want to complicate this but just a thought..
Is it worthwhile also posting up component combination that are known to give problems ?
It may help steer people away from poor decisions.
As someone else mentioned, it would be neat to compile a "Matrix" of component combinations with a :D or a :evil: to denote effectiveness.
Sure, not a bad idea!

One thing I learned early on is AXI motors are efficient, but lose sync (make a screeching sound) at certain RPM and load. This, I have since learned, is from can resonance and the 14 pole count working together to confuse the controller back EMF. Other than that, every setup I have run works great!

Matt

I'm Running a TowerPro 5330 motor at 36 volts with a Castle Creations HV85 esc and a custom made potentiometer throttle. Only issue has been motor can slightly pulling apart (maybe just unscrewing?) at around 1300 miles but I re-glued and it's still going strong.

Also running a Turnigy 50-65D motor with a $12 60a Mystery controller, 5s Lipo, and 5k pot throttle on my gf's bike. Zero issues and no sync problems so far but I still don't totally trust the controller even though she has abused it pretty good.

Both of these setups are being run on a variable pressure, sliding friction drive system.

Add this to the"it works" column
Here is a little project I helped a friand with this summer.
More as a consultant really...
CC ice100
turnigy servo tester
Magura throttle
turnigy 63-64-280
6s4p (22.2-20AH)
home built reduction unit.
an enclosure is being designed to house all components in the main diamond of the frame.
P9290022.jpg

Originaly Lostsheep had it geard to the moon (thought he could pedal 120+ cadance maybe) & in 4th gear or higher it was easy to "force" the poor little controller out of sync. Now with a reasonable re-gear & some cycles on the battery, here is What the man said about his E-bike:
Lostsheep:
I smoked home. Put it in top gear and it moves. Made it home from 3.8v to 3.6v , not bad when you leave it peged.

Too much fun.
He has been clocked at 28mph. Lost sheep is a bit shy but follows along as a lerker on the sphere (kinda creepy eh?) :lol:
here is what he says about the recent exchange in the parrellel thread
You know those guys go back and forth on the whole cheap vs. quality and sync issues. But what I see is that it really all comes down to gearing. Since I've geared the bike properly and use the appropriate gear for the appropriate grade I have no sync issues. Cars don't have one gear to do everything. Maybe if your building a race bike for flat ground one gear will suffice but people seam to think they can get away with one gear and not have any spike in amps or sync.

My 2 cents.

lostsheep
This is a very relaible set up. Motor hasn't gotten "hot" yet & the miles are piling up on this bike every day...climbs like a goat on 22v. Haven been bitten by the E-bike bug L.S. is thinking about a trike next...his wife prolly hates me LOL.

I use a Turnigy 80-100 130kv with a 24fet infineon controller and external hall sensors. It works like a dream at 36V (120A peak, 4200w) but the motor draws too much current for the controller to handle at 72V. The controller hits the hardware current limit and shuts down. A current control throttle may alleviate this, as well as modding the hardware current limit on the controller. This remains to be seen.

The drivetrain is a two stage gear reduction (12.5:1) using bicycle chain on the left side of the bicycle. Parallel drive like recumpence mentioned, with a freewheel on the motor. (I would have preferred to put the freewheel on the sprocket on the rear wheel, but it would need to survive higher torque and was more difficult to build)

The bike draws 33A at top speed of 40kph (this running on 36V). 18Ah 20C Turnigy Lipo pack. The highest motor temp recorded @36V was 74 deg Celsius (at the windings). Bike has been put through as much abuse as I could give it, offroad, for about a month. :D

I have done plenty of riding with my variable pressure swing arm friction drives using the following.

- Hyperion 4045 320 kv - Castle Creations 85A HV ESC. Run this on 18.5V and 22V. Throttle is a modified servo tester (Esky 000504 EK2-0907) and Magura twist or Currie thumb throttle. Works well. Very quick especially on 6S. Motor is a bit small for prolonged hill climbing though.

-Turnigy or HTX 63-74 200 kv. - Solid with CC 85A HV, Turnigy K-Force 100A, and Turnigy K-Force 85A. 85A K-force does get quite warm under load but has still been reliable even when hitting its high tem cutout. Modified servo tester interface used. Mainly 18.5V but some 22V testing.

Direct drive application: (Stand up scooter)

-Turnigy or HTX 63-74 200 kv - CC 85A HV and Throttlizer. Hall Half twist throttle. Works very well. Throttleizer does a good job of keeping max current under control and has good ramp control.

Same setup but with a 100A K-force. Not so good. For some reason the Throttleizer could not control this ESC and wouldnt limit max current or modify the ramp what ever the settings were. rode like I just had a servo tester fitted and the lack of ramp saw the motor loose sync under quick accel.

Kepler said:
.....Same setup but with a 100A K-force. Not so good. For some reason the Throttleizer could not control this ESC and wouldnt limit max current or modify the ramp what ever the settings were. rode like I just had a servo tester fitted and the lack of ramp saw the motor loose sync under quick accel.

:eek: Boy does that sound familia ! :?
Thats exactly how my Turigy 63-54, 200kV behaves with the Turnigy K Force 100a controller and the modded Turnigy servo tester/hall throttle ( 5s ,18.5v)
I am getting more suspicious of the "throttle / Throttleizer" control systems in this sync issue. :evil:

http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=14734&start=0&hilit=mud%27s
astro 3210 10turn
castle HV110
ping version 3 24V10AH battery
magura throttle

Its as low power as an rc build gets at only 24V, but it gets around at 22mph w/ no problems so far and it's almost silent at crusing speed

the 5lb ping has been doing 30 amps continuous without a problem :D

I run a 6 wire Astro 3220 on 12S with a Ice HV 160. Geared for 30 MPH in delta and 20 in Wye. I originally used a Turnigy 100 amp HV ESC. It did fine, no sync problems, but I smoked 2 of them while in low speed high power off-roading. This is a bad area for RC controllers, I do my best to stay out of this zone, but sometimes have no choice in off- roading. I have had zero issues since replacing the Turnigy with the Castle. I use a turnigy servo tester and a finger throttle.

I have a question RE motor timing. I was reading the fine print that came with my K-Force 100A ESC and noticed the default timing is set at 15 degrees. I can't try mine at the moment as I am waiting for a new motor, but has anyone tried all the timing settings - 0 , 3.75 , 7.5 , 11.25 , 15 , 18.57 , 22.5 , 26.25. I wonder if this has any bearing on the sync problems described by some, as I haven't seen it mentioned in searching.

Hillhater said:
drewjet, could you explain exactly what your throttle set up is. Is that a hall throttle linked through a modified Servo tester, or are you just using the potentiometer on the ST. ?

I use a potentiometer type. The info is in this thread. http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=8026
I really like it over the twist throttles as I can have my thumb and 3 fingers holding on for dear life and only need to use my fore finger for precise control of the throttle. I made no modifications. I run the throttle in auto end-point mode.

Matt, .. Have I have missed something here with the ESC to throttle "interface"..?
I know you have shown how to modify a servo tester to act as the interface to the ESC, but i notice in 'Jesters build thread that he has changed from that to an different interface supplied by you... what is this unit and is there a thread describing this interface?
( still looking for potential solutions to my sync prob' :wink: )
Maybe someone could list same links to any other throttle interface solutions ?

Hillhater said:
Matt, .. Have I have missed something here with the ESC to throttle "interface"..?
I know you have shown how to modify a servo tester to act as the interface to the ESC, but i notice in 'Jesters build thread that he has changed from that to an different interface supplied by you... what is this unit and is there a thread describing this interface?
( still looking for potential solutions to my sync prob' :wink: )
Maybe someone could list same links to any other throttle interface solutions ?

The pics AJ posted are of my throttle assembly. What he is running is, essentially, the same. However, I am now using a 5 volt regulator with a far wider input voltage range.

I am not sure if it will cure your sync issue or not.

Matt

Ahh, OK so it is the unit based on the modified servo tester.
. AJ threw me with this comment ..
...I wasted MONTHS perservering with the throttle interface i could kick myself (if legs worked HAHAHA)
bin the throttle interface and throttlizers and get Recumpence to hook you up guys...
...so i thought he had already tried that and now found a new interface.

Thanks for clearing that up.
..now about Fetchers current control throttle.... :?: :?

AJ, you are brutally honest when something doesn't work, so I trust you. You sound very happy with your throttle solution, could you please add the part #s and where they can be ordered from? including any sockets and plugs which are needed, that are not normally included?...(I am asking in this thread so your reply will put the part #s next the the very-helpful pics)

"...Matt, the interface you supplied me has improved the throttle 110% its now PERFECT absolutely brilliant smooth acceleration..., even low throttle is PERFECT motor ticks over like it has halls!! I can ride slower than walking pace now its just superb simply couldn't be improved upon Matt you ARE the man..."

recumpence said:
The pics AJ posted are of my throttle assembly. What he is running is, essentially, the same. However, I am now using a 5 volt regulator with a far wider input voltage range.

spinningmagnets said:
"...Matt, the interface you supplied me has improved the throttle 110% its now PERFECT absolutely brilliant smooth acceleration..., even low throttle is PERFECT motor ticks over like it has halls!! I can ride slower than walking pace now its just superb simply couldn't be improved upon Matt you ARE the man..."

whaaaaaat?? improved throttle?? excuse my ignorance but what is a 5 volt regulator and how do I add one to my setup? :mrgreen:

spinningmagnets said:
AJ, you are brutally honest when something doesn't work, so I trust you. You sound very happy with your throttle solution, could you please add the part #s and where they can be ordered from? including any sockets and plugs which are needed, that are not normally included?...(I am asking in this thread so your reply will put the part #s next the the very-helpful pics)

The motor and control do look very smooth but come on AJ how can you compare this to a sensored setup when you have never tried a sensored setup on one of these motors, I think your under estimating the beauty of a sensored setup to be honest.

Back