Specialized FSR, Cyclone 1900w (pics 1st page)

Ratking said:
Nice work :)

I wish I could weld like that. It looks like a robots work. Any trix how to make a good weld?

Those are beautiful welds. The entire build is what I consider to be the way all e-bikes should be designed. Bags, duct tape and zip straps are for us who just want to get going. I keep waiting for someone in China to see this concept and quit scabbing lunch boxes on 200 year old bicycles. The battery box should be the structure, not something hanging in the triangle, or behind you, where you don't want the weight.

The most difficult part of welding is believing you can do it. It is a manual skill, just like any other co-ordinated skill. Take any 14 year old kid, tell him what to do and turn him loose. He will weld surprisingly well. With an adult, you can spend days convincing him that he can do it, before he will even try.
I can stick any type of metal together, but after a time away from it, I am never happy with my work until I've put in a good 8 hours. My friend, who welds SS pressure vessels, always spends a week in the practice booth before going to work, if he has been off for a couple of months. EVERY TIME. I can not see the difference between his first weld and his last weld, at the end of the week. He says that he can't see the surface difference either, but the X-Ray machine can see the entire weld. When a welder is paid $1000 a day, and will sit on a jobsite watching DVD's for 29 out of 30 days, that one weld must be perfect, first time every time.

ditto on the welding work

/subscrizzled

MAn that thing is going to be awsome. My experience so far from the Astros to the Cyclone is that the Astros are whay too powerful and if you are looking for stright up power and excitment then the Astos are it!!

The Cyclone set up is way more user friendly. I am running a 48 V 1200 watt motor to a freewhell crank then to a rolohoff rear hub and it works great. Wheelie power in low gears and 35 plus in the top gear.

Observations on cyclone is take it apart and clean the gears completely and then re lube with some quality grease and it runs a little quieter and smoother it seems. The controller sucks and is big a fat but works. I have a controller coming from Lyen set up to work with the cyclone motor and a magura throttle. Keep you posted on that!

I am watching this build as I too would like to make a more stealth like set up. I am over the strap on stuff time to move into a more commited build!!!!

Outstanding Timma!

man you suck, what is that.....loooks like something some kid made with half mongreled mechano and zip ties....oh wait no thats what i do hahaha

looks like you achieved more in a couple of days than I have in months and months. I will be extending my bikes wheelbase same as you did when it comes time. keep it up, at this rate it should be done in a week.

cheers.

Your a freakin star Paul outstanding work mate, love the autocad, erm tape
layout to thats just classic :mrgreen: Check pm when you log on, suggested a ride if your up to it over the weekend and have time.... Chat soon, keep up the great work mate ;)

KiM

subscribed look sick

That's dope Timma! How thick is the aluminum plate? How did you make the headset? Or did you use the one from the specy and just extend it?

All the info you seek seems pretty well covered from the beginning.

Duh, thanks Gordo, I must have skipped that and became instantly mesmerised by the pretty welds. :wink:

As much as l like your first build, I think this latest design looks even better. I think the way the front tube is done looks much sleeker.

I quick question, with such a great first build, why go to the trouble of the second? Is it mainly for reliability especially when bashing around in the bush?

Kepler said:
I quick question, with such a great first build, why go to the trouble of the second? Is it mainly for reliability especially when bashing around in the bush?
Timma2500 said:
The only problem i'm having is really when dirt riding it. Hardtails suck bigtime on dirt, both my back and the bike cop a hard time over rough ground, hindering speed and stability. ... Wheelbase is about 100mm longer than standard, i will measure it when its built.
Longer wheelbase & smoother ride & more stability & higher speed... & needs a spare/extra fs-bike?

:wink:

Kepler said:

As Paul is without interwebz for the time, i'll have a stab at tgis one... :wink:

Its going to be his 'daily rider' bike with a bog stock cyclone
setup, made for reliability more than speed/performance like the Norco. idea being
there is always a working bike there to have a ride on when urge arises, while
the second bike (Norco) can remain in 'experimental' stages lil longer with no need
to rush things along as you have the Specialized FSR sitting there to ride...Unless things
have changed with the thinking? LoL

Excellent job Paul, if this ever gets a Astro the extra length will be beneficial IMO...

KiM

Paul,
Stop making the rest of us look so bad! I've got to learn to weld like that one day...

Concerning that shock, I had to rebuild my Fox air shock last year and found the whole process extremely easy, I don't even think you need tools. There are a few videos on YouTube that will walk you through it. The seals should be about $20. Although, an updated shock would make the new whip that much better.

etard said:
Paul,
Stop making the rest of us look so bad!

Yes howz this guyz form hey! 5 days since first post and look what
he does :-| :mrgreen: HAHA...Nice work Paul, great to hear there will be more frames from you in the very near future too, you will make a lot of people very happy i think :wink: shall catch you during the week :D

KiM

Timma2500 said:
Hi Etard, cheers for letting me know - i didn't realise it'd be that simple! I'll hava look around for a seal kit.

Congrats on getting the bike finished Paul, look forward to seeing her all done...regarding the seals
bookmark Enduro Seals for when you need fork seals
apparently they are the best available, cheap too.

KiM

EDIT: p.s and they iz 'wank factor' blue seals too...ordering set for my marzochis ... :: sigh :: curse u and Rodgah... :p

Back