Where to buy Sturmey Archers internal hub?

MrBoots

100 W
I was wondering if anyone's seen Sturmey Archers 3-speed cassette hub, the CS-RS3? Here's the link to the product page: http://www.sturmey-archer.com/products/hubs/cid/8/id/58. It looks to be Sturmey Archer's version of the SRAM Dual Drive. I've searched high and low on the web and can't seem to find a retailer who actually sells it. I'd also like to know what the MSRP on this thing is. If anyone has a leads, it'd great as this could be a viable, perhaps cheaper, option for those of us considering going internally-geared.

Sorry I don't know where you would buy one, but I am curious, is this to give some gearing to your RC drive? I see that it accepts a cassette as well. :?:

Yeah right now, I'm running a single speed and the hills are just torture for me because of the extra weight i'm carrying during the winter. Plus, the gearing on my bike isn't ideal for hills at all. I'm afraid I'll toast the ESC if I push it too hard.

Have you ever considered a nuvinici? According to a local shop, it's the only internal hub that they have never had to service, not saying the rest are junk or anything, but I think in ways they have more complexity and consumable parts, not to mention they have a 350% (or the new 360%) range of gearing.

IMHO, they are really exciting, before I realized how affordable they were (compared to all the other internal geared hubs that had a gearing range that I would need, it was the most reasonable) I was trying to figure out how I would make my own CVT from adjusting size pulleys much like what many gas scooters use for a transmission. (and snowmobiles)

Thanks for the help everyone but StudEBiker's local shop carries them so he's helping me get my hands on one. It looks to be a lot cheaper than the SRAM Dual Drive as well.

Dayn - The new Sturmey Archer products look very solid. In another post, I wrote a glowing review of their X-FD model drum brake. Lately, I've been seeing tons of people in Boston with their S3X 3-speed fixed hubs. I asked one burly (probably 6'3", 230+ pounds) rider what he thought of it and he loved it. He cited that he hadn't had any durability issues with in nearly a year's worth of riding. I'd imagine a rider that size riding fixed would generate tremendous amounts of torque. Obviously, the internals of that 3-speed fix hub and the 3-speed freewheel cassette hub I'm looking at our different, but it looks just as beefy. My riding style is pretty easy on the ebike drive-train too so hopefully it'll stand up.

I just received my new Sturmey Archer hub and bar-end shifter thanks to StudEbiker. I tell ya, the folks on this forum really are the best. StudEbiker, Luke and others have really gone above and beyond to help me with my ebike, even at a cost and inconvenience to themselves! You guys are the best lot ever!

This hub is quite beefy and just from eye-balling it, looks pretty well-crafted. Roughly the same weight as the SRAM Dual Drive hub at the bike shop. The only thing this lacks that the SRAM has is a rubber boot on the non-cassette side. Not bad considering this was just about half the price of the SRAM DD. If this is anything like Sturmey Archer's S3X 3-speed fixed gear hub, it'll be damn near bulletproof. I hope to have this thing laced up soon and when I do, I'll post some new pics.

img_0141.jpg

img_0142.jpg

img_0143.jpg

Hi folks,

Just wanted to let you know I have the SA hubs available and for sale at a discounted rate for ES' ers, out in the for sale section.

http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=24449

Standard model $90
Disc model $97.50

Thanks fellas.

Tomas B

Looking forward to seeing how much lecky/leggy torque these hubs can handle. Is there a disclaimer about the minimum chainring size you can use with these hubs? Being that up to 34T sprockets can be engaged on the cassette cluster, there is some serious potential for torque input with small chainring sizes compared with all other 3spd hubs (bar the SRAM DualDrive of course). It would be interesting to know if Sturmey has factored this into the design by upgrading the internals to an even stronger standard than their other 3spd hubs.

At this time, I don't have the engineering specs for torque limits that you wondering about senor, however, considering that these hubs (SA 3 speeders) have been used for cargo bikes and pedicabs, etc, they should be relatively tough. I have a question in at SA with regard to your quirey, we'll see.

In case anyone else is looking for one of these hubs, you can order them from Bike Tools, Etc. online.
http://www.biketoolsetc.com/index.cgi?id=869007030397&c=Sturmey-Archer

UPDATE: I laced the Sturmey Archer hub up yesterday, removed the dual ENO freewheels from the old wheel (which was a major PITA btw, it was hell to tap these onto the wheels in the first place and about 3x as hard removing them). After I set everything up, I ran the bike at 8S in the shortest gear and the bike took off like a bat out of hell from a dead-stop. I still pedal-assisted a bit, but with the gearing, it doesn't bog nearly as bad as it did before at all. I took it to WOT in 2nd gear from about 6mph, got off the throttle at about 25mph-ish, switched to the tallest gear and WOT'ed it again and did so all the way up to around 40mph. Running it so hard probably isn't the best way to break it in but this hub does seem really robust but I'm really happy with the results so far.

The power of the motor seems a lot more usable at all speeds now and I've also increased my top speed putting less strain on my system. Probably the best $90 I've spent all year!

The latest versions of Sturmey Archer's 3-speeds seem to be quite an improvement over previous ones. I met a 240+pound rider who uses their SX3 fixie 3-speed hub with a 45t/16t ratio without problems. If torque is what kills gears, I highly doubt any of us will be feeding our hubs as much torque as a fixie rider that size and gear ratio puts through their's.

Oh sorry I forgot to clarify: I have two broached ENO freewheels on the rear cassette. The inner freewheel has a 110t sprocket mounted on it. Below is a pic of the old wheel without the 3-speed hub. Whenever it stops snowing and gets a little warmer out, I'll snap some pics and vids.

img_1369-1.jpg

boostjuice said:
Looking forward to seeing how much lecky/leggy torque these hubs can handle. Is there a disclaimer about the minimum chainring size you can use with these hubs? Being that up to 34T sprockets can be engaged on the cassette cluster, there is some serious potential for torque input with small chainring sizes compared with all other 3spd hubs (bar the SRAM DualDrive of course). It would be interesting to know if Sturmey has factored this into the design by upgrading the internals to an even stronger standard than their other 3spd hubs.

I just received a reply from Sunrace Sturmey Archer about the minimum chain ring size allowed.

Hello Bill,

Minimum chainring size would be 22t.

Let me know if I can help with anything else.

David Prosser
info@sunraceusa.com

Back