A full suspension Tadpole Trike (from Peshawar, Pakistan)

Hello every body;

In pursuit of my Electric Rickshaw Taxi, I thought I would do a little experimental build of my own by making a tadpole trike.

I shall be using less words and more pictures and diagrams as words can't explain some of the things more elaborately. I understand that 100 words = one picture or diagram.

I shall be using the same motors (two of them) which I have used in my 'very low cost electric bike from Pakistan'.

It will be with two seats (one driver one passenger). Full suspension as road conditions are worst in old city. It will also be a moped.

right now I'm making front suspension and steering. I bought a lot of useful Junk and hoping to achieve the same objective as I did in my Very low cost electric bike.

I had no lathe or specialized machinery so I used my drill to rotate a bolt and use my grinder to make it the size i wanted. Just trial and error, now after making 11 pcs I'm quite experienced (see the pictures)

Wish me luck guys.

P.S. Feedback will be highly appreciated.

I felt like it doesn't explain the way I wanted to so I made a video of making these bolts.

Part 1 [youtube] http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0VNG88bN6s [/youtube]

Part 2 [youtube] http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7xt7_sQcETA [/youtube]

Yours Respectfully
Naeem

Looking good my friend!

i never thought to lathe stuff down like that. ive used a drill and hacksaw before but never a drill with an angle grinder. i gotta say, that is really clever. your work always amazes me naeem! i cant wait to see what you come up with. :mrgreen:

Oh God;

I'm so tired of todays 12 hours of constant work that there is no part in my body which doesn't hurt, but I must say, I thoroughly enjoyed every minute of it. Tomorrow I will past some pictures here.

About the kind and gentle words of appreciation, I am so thankful from the bottom of my heart. When ever there is a will there is always a way. Lack of resources will never let me down as I am sure I will always find ways to do expensive tasks by inexpensive ways. May God help me invent more ways of doing different difficult things towards achieving my goals. I suppose it is all about dedication and motivation, and I am thankful to all the members and ES to provide such opportunities for for lonely people like me in distinct parts of the world. I salute the team of ES for providing this environment for the growth of Green Transportation system. Its role will always be written in golden words in the books of history. May God bless you all.

Respectfully
Naeem

What I love about your projects is the way you take things others have cast off and used them for very useful purposes. It is easy to buy what is needed (if you have money) or pay others to do custom work (again, if you have money). It takes alot of talent to, not only make what you want and make it work well, but to do it with very little resources.

I am looking forward to your finished bike!

Matt

Hello Guys;

Every thing even a screw is being born from nothing so this thing is taking so long. I have given it hours and hours of my life and yet only the work is creping like snail. I hope I will not lose my will to work as today my entire body is in pain and I almost feel like I have been hit by a truck. My wife told me that I was moaning with pain during sleep. It was really hard to get up early in the morning for prayers. May be it is the weather's effect that is annoying me as it is hot during the afternoon while it gets colder at night.
Yours Respectfully
Naeem.

Attachments

• SLIDES.jpg
    SLIDES.jpg
    313.2 KB · Views: 5,436
recumpence said:
What I love about your projects is the way you take things others have cast off ..... It is easy to buy what is needed (if you have money) ..... It takes alot of talent to, not only make what you want and make it work well, but to do it with very little resources.I am looking forward to your finished bike!
Matt

Dear Matt; Thanks for your words of appreciation as this gets me going. It has been my habit since my childhood that I heard from a scholar about re-cycling so I have been following this for all my life. By the time I have gained experience in doing so. For me, my work is like poetry, if some one likes it, I find my self the happiest man on earth. I am sure that one day I will be able to do something to save the earth by making electric vehicles. That really is a big "If" for me about money and resources. But, God has been kind in providing lots of appreciation from kind people like yourself which motivates me to find new ways of doing something which is very cheap and doesn't need big money.
Respectfully Yours
Naeem

I have built many projects with extremely limited resources, myself (hack saw, discarded bed frames for material, hand drill clamped to the work bench as a grinder, etc). I am truly thankful I am blessed enough to work with high-end technology at this point. But, there is a certain satisfaction in building something on a limited budget.

Matt

Be very careful with your shocks mate, with how narrow your chassis is compared to your a-arms it will have some pretty bad chassis roll around corners, so you may need to add a sway-bar to it.

Besides having narrow chassis I have following two strategies (See the diagrams) to over come the problem of rolling over while one front tire hitting a bump.
please, feel free to discuss and suggest if you think any thing can improve my model.
Naeem

Attachments

• Front Wheel position1.bmp
    341.7 KB · Views: 4,189
www.recumbents.com said:
Hi Naeem,

You are probably busy watching Cricket now. Go Team!
-Warren.

My Dear friend; No matter what I do I will never be able to thank you enough for this information you have shared with me. You are a life saver.
Well Cricket is not my kind of game so I was not that much interested in watching, but as a nation I was praying deep down inside, for the victory. I've been into Martial arts and gymnastics and remained Junior champion (fly-weight) in 1994 in my province but since i broke my knee joint I said good bye to physical games and stuff although It was painful as hell to say good-bye, but I was left with no choice with my broken knee.
With much respect and warm regards. Naeem

I agree with Warren.

You will have brake steer and bump steer as well as bad handling with that particular steering setup. You need to try to match the tire contact patch with the steering pivot point of each wheel.

I like the sketch, though. That allows us to see what you are planning and help guide you accordingly.

Matt

A small tip,
In the video I didn't see you use any lubrication on your tap. When tapping threads lubrication of the tap will help prolong the life of your tap and also give you a better thread . I know how hard you worked to make the bolts and it would be devastating if your tap got stuck in there or broke off in your work.

If you don't have access to the correct tapping lubrication. Even engine grease or cooking grease soap anything is better than nothing.

I am enjoying your build progress and it will be great to see the finished trike. Some times I wish I had suspension on my own trike.

kurt.

Dear All;

After going through all the information sent by the kind members about steering system I have modified my drawing (see the following diagram)

Moreover, I was struck by another idea of rear steering system, please see the diagram.

With warm regards. Naeem

Attachments

• Front Wheel position Engineered.jpg
    Front Wheel position Engineered.jpg
    105.1 KB · Views: 4,638
  • Rear steering tadpole trike.jpg
    Rear steering tadpole trike.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 4,638
With slight change in the previous diagram:
Thanks for such useful feed guys and thank you Miles and Matt, you have always guided me in the right path. Thanks a lot guys.

Just a query; Do we have ladies in this forum?

Respectfully; Naeem

Attachments

• King Pin Tragectory .jpg
    King Pin Tragectory .jpg
    105 KB · Views: 4,617
I'm coming up with a number of ideas today which I feel I should share with all of you. See the following diagram and tell if thats gona tilt the wheels or not. What do you say guys? I might make a tilting tadpole trike with this having correct caster angle, neutral camber and correct angle of kingpin orientation with caster line.
Naeem

Attachments

• Tilting setup.jpg
    Tilting setup.jpg
    14.9 KB · Views: 4,612
numberonebikeslover said:
Just a query; Do we have ladies in this forum?

The forum is not gender specific, but from my own experience of similar communities I would guess that the ladies are a minority here.

Another forum I know of that revolves around horses and dogs, have the opposite trend.

I would like to see a more even mix if I got to choose.

I am very impressed with how much you are accomplishing with basic hand tools! The following website address provides some discussion about rake and trail. http://www.atomiczombie.com/ct-raketrail.html#raketrail

Maybe it can provide some help with your question.

Best wishes

Bill

Back