8mm pitch pulleys from an exercise bike

Discussions related to motors other than hub motors.
This includes R/C motors, botttom bracket, roller and geared drives.

8mm pitch pulleys from an exercise bike

Postby 1000w » Mon Mar 28, 2011 7:40 am

Today I picked up some handy belt drive parts from an exercise bike that was amongst verge side rubbish.
I am hoping to use this on my next build using a RC motor.
Unfortunately the bike was in bad condition and I couldn't find a brand or a model anywhere on it and I didn't have the camera with me.
The pedals were attached to the large 116 tooth pulley and this drove the smaller 17 tooth pulley on the flywheel. To save anyone doing the calculation, the ratio is 6.82 to 1.
The 17 tooth has a sprag bearing that fits on a 16mm shaft.
Here are some photos.

ImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Hopefully this is interesting to someone.
Cheers,
Matt.P.
User avatar
1000w
1 kW
1 kW
 
Posts: 429
Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 6:24 am
Location: Western Australia

Re: 8mm pitch pulleys from an exercise bike

Postby Hillhater » Mon Mar 28, 2011 8:24 am

:shock: :o WoW ...nice find ! 8)
Any clues as to what make or brand of exercise bike that was ?

PS, i think that is technically a roller/ramp clutch rather than a sprag.
This forum owes its existence to Justin of ebikes.ca
Hillhater
100 GW
100 GW
 
Posts: 7373
Joined: Tue Aug 03, 2010 10:33 pm
Location: Sydney ..(Hilly part !) .. Australia/ Down under !

Re: 8mm pitch pulleys from an exercise bike

Postby Miles » Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:13 am

User avatar
Miles
100 GW
100 GW
 
Posts: 11422
Joined: Fri Mar 16, 2007 4:15 pm
Location: London UK

Re: 8mm pitch pulleys from an exercise bike

Postby 1000w » Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:21 am

Hillhater wrote:PS, i think that is technically a roller/ramp clutch rather than a sprag.

Thanks for that, I wasn't sure what to call it.
I wonder if it can take 5 to 7 kw?
Hillhater wrote:Any clues as to what make or brand of exercise bike that was ?

1000w wrote:Unfortunately the bike was in bad condition and I couldn't find a brand or a model anywhere on it and I didn't have the camera with me.

Miles wrote:I found this: http://www.searspartsdirect.com/partsdi ... 4495/00002

Interesting, not the same model but maybe many exercise bikes have toothed pulleys.
Cheers,
Matt.P.
User avatar
1000w
1 kW
1 kW
 
Posts: 429
Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 6:24 am
Location: Western Australia

Re: 8mm pitch pulleys from an exercise bike

Postby Miles » Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:25 am

1000w wrote:
Miles wrote:I found this: http://www.searspartsdirect.com/partsdi ... 4495/00002

Interesting, not the same model but maybe many exercise bikes have toothed pulleys.
It says it's for an HTD belt. I shouldn't imagine a replacement part for an exercise bike would be a cheap way to get a pulley, though... :)
User avatar
Miles
100 GW
100 GW
 
Posts: 11422
Joined: Fri Mar 16, 2007 4:15 pm
Location: London UK

Re: 8mm pitch pulleys from an exercise bike

Postby 1000w » Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:36 am

Miles wrote:It says it's for an HTD belt. I shouldn't imagine a replacement part for an exercise bike would be a cheap way to get a pulley, though...

Cheap when they are on the side of the road. :)
I am keen to do a single stage reduction with a RC motor, so I want large pulleys like these.
I and many others have not been able to source large toothed pulleys so I think this is quite interesting.
The pulley in the link you posted looks like it has heaps of teeth.
Cheers,
Matt.P.
User avatar
1000w
1 kW
1 kW
 
Posts: 429
Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 6:24 am
Location: Western Australia

Re: 8mm pitch pulleys from an exercise bike

Postby vanilla ice » Mon Mar 28, 2011 12:59 pm

Nice find, great idea.. thx 4 posting.
User avatar
vanilla ice
1 GW
1 GW
 
Posts: 3160
Joined: Wed Sep 05, 2007 9:15 pm
Location: socal dude

Re: 8mm pitch pulleys from an exercise bike

Postby Miles » Mon Mar 28, 2011 1:15 pm

1000w wrote:
Hillhater wrote:PS, i think that is technically a roller/ramp clutch rather than a sprag.

Thanks for that, I wasn't sure what to call it.
I wonder if it can take 5 to 7 kw?


See attached, Matt.
Attachments
TNSK_CAT_E1420_Drawn Cup Needle Roller Clutches.pdf
(1.94 MiB) Downloaded 130 times
User avatar
Miles
100 GW
100 GW
 
Posts: 11422
Joined: Fri Mar 16, 2007 4:15 pm
Location: London UK


Return to E-Bike Non-hub Motor Drives

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 19 guests