3 speed freewheels

Thud

1 MW
I been looking for these myself...Guess i haven't searched for awhile cause there they are!
http://cgi.ebay.com/Bicycle-Scooter-Speed-Wheel-Sprocket-Flywheel-Freewheel-/330563107858?pt=Cycling_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4cf718bc12

upon closer inspection, these look like standard 5 speed's with the 2 low speed cogs displaced with the plastic spacer.

Todd,

The other development, in this direction, is that you can now get the DOS ENO in 16/19 :D

http://www.benscycle.net/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=188_333_689_691&zenid=363f2d6a90fc70fe49c2305b2113ef97

Hey Miles,
I look at them & wonder how they would react to a de-railer...Maybe with a little tooth modification? Something like the "lift pins" on a big chainring perhaps....

I am playing with the idea of re-working a stack of cogs, (3 speeds) to mate to a modified standard freewheel...(white ind. or the other high pawl count trials units).

All the hardend parts in a standard freewheel make them "absolute murder" to modify if you don't have a grinding shop to work in.

I been thinking about pedaling more this year than usual...I must be getting old.. :wink:

I've been wondering the same. I was assuming that you'd need to truncate the teeth. I'm not sure if ramps would be needed, or not.

The spacing shouldn't be a problem for 2 speeds, 3 might be a bit more tricky.

I was planning to try adding a 3rd sprocket to the DOS ENO 16/19 to give 16/19/24.

+1 on the full offset of the flanged freewheel.
I was playing with the idea of a press fit sleeve onto the outer body of the white.(with the cog teeth turned off it) & suitably modified cogs to fit the new assembly...a full custom senario.
It should make the spacing doable & be completely unobtainumn for the masses.

Its days like this I wish the rapid prototypers could just print stainless steel parts..... :|

Thud said:
I was playing with the idea of a press fit sleeve onto the outer body of the white.(with the cog teeth turned off it) & suitably modified cogs to fit the new assembly...a full custom senario.
That would be nice. I'm not sure if you could go down to 16t like this, though?

I was hoping for enough room to make an offset retaining cog, that would drop to the inside of the mechanism..as close to the original retainer for the freehubs original cassett, yet sill function on the freewheel... 12tooth being a goal.

I may be overly optomistic....I have a free hub inbound for experimentaion....My only other option is a custom rear hub set up for twin right freewheels...

Thud said:
I was hoping for enough room to make an offset retaining cog, that would drop to the inside of the mechanism..as close to the original retainer for the freehubs original cassett, yet sill function on the freewheel... 12tooth being a goal.
That would be great.

Looking inside the ENO, there might just be room for a 14t sprocket if you cut back the edge of the outer....? That would be within the existing width of the freewheel... Is that what you're thinking?

space reserved:

will overview once I have a free-hub in hand...& a pr of broached freewheels ready for a 3-speed attemt.

i mean no disrespect here thud,

but a person with your skills, and hate for bicycle chain, I would of thought you would of machined a custom hub with either sprag's or forgotten completely about freewheeling all together. I gather this is for a high powered build where you would be highly unlikely to pedal without elec? If this is the case and a sevcon is on the cards....from what i can gather(and read) they can do variable regen braking. My thoughts are this:

having a jackshaft that has a WI freewheel/sprag to isolate the pedals and 3 speed crank chain rings(if your feeling athletic).
the drive (2 speed, neugart, whatever that can take drive and be back-driven) output drives the jackshaft
the jackshaft drives a 1:1 or very tight reduction to the rear wheel with a sprocket mounted fixed / no freewheeling.

braking is now handled via the controller, the gearing would have to be nutted out to keep pedaling effort realistic ( or just hook up a dynamo to run a headlight or something rediculous and forget about pedaling all together haha)
this design would work for hardtail or FS with a frame like a brooklyn with the jackshaft being the suspension pivot. I know this is not new or revolutionary, Im just getting frustrated with builds going in circles, I myself am to blame aswell because I want to explore new ideas and have the $$$$ to do it but have neither the time nor the ability. I really like the idea of letting the technology work for you (regen braking) to keep the bike simpler, and less compromises and components right on the edge of failure.

ok return to your normal programming......

rodgah,

That's where I'm heading, too... With the addition of the ability to switch between free-wheeling and regen. This is more of an attempt by Thud and I to satisfy an immediate and general lack (well, I can only speak for myself...).

Miles said:
rodgah,

That's where I'm heading, too... With the addition of the ability to switch between free-wheeling and regen. This is more of an attempt by Thud and I to satisfy an immediate and general lack (well, I can only speak for myself...).

i too thought about that but couldnt think of a better way of doing it other than a sliding dog to disengage the drive....not sure thats even possible and in all honestly i would probably only use it to hypermile/push the bike around when its turned off. actually in thinkin about it, thud your the man when it comes to dogs, is there a way (a picture you have coz im thick) an easy compact way i mean?

:mrgreen:

rodgah said:
i too thought about that but couldnt think of a better way of doing it other than a sliding dog to disengage the drive....not sure thats even possible and in all honestly i would probably only use it to hypermile/push the bike around when its turned off. actually in thinkin about it, thud your the man when it comes to dogs, is there a way (a picture you have coz im thick) an easy compact way i mean..
You could do it with a neutral position on the gearbox but a locking freewheel would be better if you wanted freewheeling as the preferred mode. My idea is closer to the latter...

oh yes miles I understand this,
i also understand there is the average user that wants to make something that works that isnt in the >7kw class, but judging on what thud has made recently i would have to ask whats next out of the thud shed.

locking freewheel? tell me more.....i had a quick google search but didnt find anything.

Hey,

Either of you plan on bidding for 3 speed?

It would be just the ticket for my suitcase folding bike; would try to fit a belt drive if I can find a way to separate into chain & belt freewheels.

Will aka SoSauty

Thanks Miles, in retrospect, I'll pass. However, your double freewheel concept would be worth the price of 2 WhiteInd. Eno s :!:

This one at least appears to maintain the required narrow width of a SS freewheel.
22t, 19t, 16t
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=64523

64523.jpg

64523-1.jpg

Back