Beta CA build for R/C controllers

Discussions related to motors other than hub motors.
This includes R/C motors, botttom bracket, roller and geared drives.
justin_le   10 MW

10 MW

Re: Beta CA build for R/C controllers

Post by justin_le » Jul 17 2011 5:08am

rodgah wrote:I would be interested in it for sure!
Hey guys, so I finally got a temporary store site setup for the beta RC Cycle Analyst, so for those wanting to purchase the device and give this a try you can do so directly here:

http://www.ebikes.ca/store/store_rc.php

The price is the same as the large screen CA-LDPS device, or $125, but to be complete you will need some kind of shunt with the system for the current sensing. The molded inline shunt is certainly most convenient for those running in the <2kW power levels. Otherwise in a pinch it would be possible to tap into a length of the battery ground wire if you aren't too concerned about the overall current accuracy. 6 inches of 10 AWG wire is about 0.5 mOhm. I did list a proper 0.5 mOhm shunt on the website as well, but it's probably larger and heavier than the actual ESC device.

I'll have a batch of 15-20 of these made up during the week and they should be able to ship by this coming Friday.

Naturally, this is also a beta testing program, so part of the point is to get a spread of systems that are field testing the device to help find glitches or improvements that need to be made. I'm hoping that it will mostly work out as I've implemented things, but until If there are situations that require reprogramming the firmware, then you may have to ship it back here to be reflashed, (or if you are familiar with in circuit microchip programming and have the necessary programming tools, we can send the updated .hex file directly). As well, I don't expect there to be any hardware complications with the CA sending a PWM servo pulse to the ESC, but until we have a number of systems you never know.

So, just understand that.

-Justin
Previously competed in the Suntrip race on a back to back tandem solar powered row/cycle trike. 550 watt solar roof, dual Grin All Axle hub motors, dual Phaserunner controllers, 12 LiGo batteries, and a whole wack of gear.

Now back in Vancouver learning to be a dad with my Big Dummy Frame (yes This One, thanks ES!) with GMAC 10T rear hub motor, Phaserunner controller, and 52V 19Ah EM3EV pack
My website: http://www.ebikes.ca
Please contact via email, info@ebikes.ca, rather than PMs, which are disabled

adrian_sm   10 MW

10 MW

Post by adrian_sm » Jul 17 2011 5:55am

Just placed my order. Thanks Justin.

Looking forward to giving it a go.

- Adrian
Build #1 ~28kg ~ 700w Avanti Hardtail Crystalyte 408, 48V10Ah Headway. ~5500 kms to date. (retired)
Build #2 ~30kg ~2000w Giant AC Dually Crystalyte 408, 48V10Ah Headway + 6s10Ah LiPo = 70V. ~15000 kms to date [SOLD]
Build #3 ~13kg ~2000w Commuter Booster <1kg Friction Drive
Build #??? ~21kg ~1500w Adrian's Bafang BPM Hardtail MTB Bafang BPM code12, 15s LiPo, ~40kph, ~30kms

mwkeefer   10 MW

10 MW

Post by mwkeefer » Jul 17 2011 9:21am

+1 of everything :)
Justin, let us know what to collect for information durring testing :)
Regards,
Mike

PS: Althought I do have all needed MCU flashing HW, you are correct in assuming the PPM signal (its PPM not PWM) generated should work fine, provided that you hand off the recurrance of signals to the MCU itself (some abstract PWM functions)... in other words, it will work great as long as your MCU isn't tied up too terribly with other functions to cause a miss in timing output (guessing you checked it out on a scope?).

My atmega based ESC throttle adapters do great work, I can't see the new CA version being any different (you use a faster than Atmega MCU right?).
Regards,
Mike

{My Rides]
2010 Dahon Jack - GNG v1 - LYEN 6FET - 20/40A - 18S2P10AH - Nom:66.6v,1332w
2004 Hard Rock Pro Disc - Recumpence ms eDrive v4 - Astro 3220 4T - 12S2P16AH - HV110 - Left Side Drive - Gearing: 38mph
Nominal Peak Power @ 60 seconds: 5328 watts - Maximum Power: 49.8v, 120A, 5872w
2010 Downtube 8FH - Stock GNG v1 Stock Controller - EB809XC - 12-16S
2012 Downtube Nova 7spd - Stock GNG v2 - 12S2P10AH - EB809 - 12S-16S - 20A/30A,Nom VCC: 44.4, 888w

www.recumbents.com   10 kW

10 kW

Post by www.recumbents.com » Jul 17 2011 4:29pm

Wow this is a great idea! Plug the throttle into the CA and then just one wire down to the ESC. Should this eliminate need for both the BEC and the servo tester when used with a Casle Creations HV160?

Thank you Justin!

-Warren.

mwkeefer   10 MW

10 MW

Post by mwkeefer » Jul 17 2011 11:39pm

Warren,

I think you will need to run the Ground (for reference) and the signal line down to the ESC input on the HV160 ICE but .... it may even need the +5v to power the input stage to power the optocouplers on the input side, this is an assumption but you can try ground and signal first alone and it may be sufficient to get it working :)

Regards,
Mike
Regards,
Mike

{My Rides]
2010 Dahon Jack - GNG v1 - LYEN 6FET - 20/40A - 18S2P10AH - Nom:66.6v,1332w
2004 Hard Rock Pro Disc - Recumpence ms eDrive v4 - Astro 3220 4T - 12S2P16AH - HV110 - Left Side Drive - Gearing: 38mph
Nominal Peak Power @ 60 seconds: 5328 watts - Maximum Power: 49.8v, 120A, 5872w
2010 Downtube 8FH - Stock GNG v1 Stock Controller - EB809XC - 12-16S
2012 Downtube Nova 7spd - Stock GNG v2 - 12S2P10AH - EB809 - 12S-16S - 20A/30A,Nom VCC: 44.4, 888w

Kepler   1 GW

1 GW

Post by Kepler » Jul 18 2011 1:59am

The Castle 160 will definitely need 3 wires from the CA for it to work as it needs +5V, ground, and signal.. ESC's with a built in BEC will just need the signal wire from the CA for it work.

Justin, will the Beta version have protection so that the ESC BEC +5V doesn't conflict with the CA +5V or is it just up to the end user being fully aware of the wiring requirements?
Current Rides

Lightest true ebike on the planet: ON ROAD viewtopic.php?f=6&t=74269
eBoost on facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Eboost/200306283342024/

justin_le   10 MW

10 MW

Post by justin_le » Jul 18 2011 8:48am

mwkeefer wrote:PS: Althought I do have all needed MCU flashing HW, you are correct in assuming the PPM signal (its PPM not PWM) generated should work fine, provided that you hand off the recurrance of signals to the MCU itself (some abstract PWM functions)...
OK, I was mostly concerned about the hardware aspect, since ground referenced signals in the face of high current mosfet switching currents and whatnot can be prone to glitches. But it sounds like the actual PPM input on the ESC board is typically opto isolated? If so that makes me feel a lot better.
in other words, it will work great as long as your MCU isn't tied up too terribly with other functions to cause a miss in timing output (guessing you checked it out on a scope?).
The CA's PPM output can't miss a beat since it's tied to the primary 25mS main loop and that never fails to execute. However, the output goes to 0V steady once you enter the setup menu and are playing around with stuff, and then it resumes pulses as soon as setup is exited.

-Justin
Last edited by justin_le on Jul 19 2011 5:23am, edited 1 time in total.
Previously competed in the Suntrip race on a back to back tandem solar powered row/cycle trike. 550 watt solar roof, dual Grin All Axle hub motors, dual Phaserunner controllers, 12 LiGo batteries, and a whole wack of gear.

Now back in Vancouver learning to be a dad with my Big Dummy Frame (yes This One, thanks ES!) with GMAC 10T rear hub motor, Phaserunner controller, and 52V 19Ah EM3EV pack

justin_le   10 MW

10 MW

Post by justin_le » Jul 19 2011 5:15am

mwkeefer wrote:Warren,

I think you will need to run the Ground (for reference) and the signal line down to the ESC input on the HV160 ICE but .... it may even need the +5v to power the input stage to power the optocouplers on the input side, this is an assumption but you can try ground and signal first alone and it may be sufficient to get it working :)
Regards,
Mike
Mike is correct. The HV160 does require both 5V power and GND for the ESC input signal to work.

Justin

justin_le   10 MW

10 MW

DP Plug experiment with HV160 controller

Post by justin_le » Jul 19 2011 5:49am

So I had a chance today to try wiring up a Castle Creations HV160 controller with a 6-pin connector to make it effectively just like an ebike controller with a CA-DP plug. Since the controller doesn't have any onboard shunt, I soldered a parallel pair of the ~1.4 mOhm shunts we use in the stand alone CA directly to the - battery lead. So the net RShunt value is a tad over 0.7mOhm, and it should be able to handle 100 amps no problem.

Leads for the shunt, Gnd, and V+ are wired up as follows:
Castle Controller DP Connections.jpg
Castle Controller DP Connections.jpg (86.86 KiB) Viewed 3192 times
Then for the signal wires, it was quite easy to piggy back the CA-DP cable 5V and PPM lines right on top of the solder pads for the original servo cable. In this case I had a schottky diode on the 5V line, so it was only receiving about 4.6V and still working fine. It was also important to tie the Gnd of the servo input to the Gnd on the shunt, otherwise the input signal pulses have no ground reference and they won't register to the ESC:
Castle Controller DP Connections Top View.jpg
Castle Controller DP Connections Top View.jpg (79 KiB) Viewed 3192 times
The net result is a controller that is simply plug and play with the CA-LRC device, and it will work fine with or without the CA plugged in. This is definitely the tidiest approach to getting all the signals from the controller to the CA:
RC CA with direct plug fired up.jpg
RC CA with direct plug fired up.jpg (130.24 KiB) Viewed 3186 times
The Astro Flight motor here had way less no-load current than the Turnigy, about 0.7A, and with a smaller shaft that was harder to slow down, so it wasn't quite as easy to test the current control loop but from what I was able to get it seemed to work fine again. Since the 3-pin servo connector was left unused, it made it easy to stick the scope probes in and watch the pulses change width as I applied and removed load from the shaft in an effort to maintain constant current draw.
www.recumbents.com wrote:Wow this is a great idea! Plug the throttle into the CA and then just one wire down to the ESC. Should this eliminate need for both the BEC and the servo tester when used with a Casle Creations HV160?
As the above pictures should illustrate, with a bit of wiring on your electronic speed controller it sure does!

I'll throw in a few of the shunts and one of the short 6 conductor cable with mating female 6-pin connector to plug into the 6-pin connector on the CA, so that anyone will also have the parts to wire things up as depicted here.
CA-DP Cable and Shunts.jpg
CA-DP Cable and Shunts.jpg (53.36 KiB) Viewed 3186 times
Thank you Justin!
-Warren.
Thanks for all the feedbacks and encouragement, it's been good to see there are a number of people interested in this, and I hope it'll be able to live up to the hopes!

justin_le   10 MW

10 MW

Post by justin_le » Jul 19 2011 5:51am

Kepler wrote: Justin, will the Beta version have protection so that the ESC BEC +5V doesn't conflict with the CA +5V or is it just up to the end user being fully aware of the wiring requirements?
I'm going to include the schottky diode in the wiring that is internal to the CA, so that the user doesn't need to be aware whether their controller has a BEC or not. I don't imagine any of the non-BEC controllers will take issue if there is only 4.6V on the line instead of 5V.

-Justin

AussieJester   100 GW

100 GW

Re: DP Plug experiment with HV160 controller

Post by AussieJester » Jul 19 2011 6:28am

justin_le wrote:
I'll throw in a few of the shunts and one of the short 6 conductor cable with mating female 6-pin connector to plug into the 6-pin connector on the CA, so that anyone will also have the parts to wire things up as depicted here.
This is outstanding Justin, bloody legend mate
definitely makes for a HEAP less wiring running willy nilly
all over the bike! I ordered me a CA and a BIG shunt from you
looks like the big shunt will be tossed in the draw now haha...

Even more excited for the CA to be delivered now!

KiM

p.s any chance you will build yourself up a "RC" motored bike in the near future Justin?

Whiplash   100 MW

100 MW

Post by Whiplash » Jul 19 2011 8:43am

So since I am not a electronics guru, does this fix the low speed burnout problem that the R/C controllers have at high load? It would seem like it limits current draw right, so it SHOULD?? or no? I would LOVE to shrink the controller size in my bike to 1/4 of its current size, and have 100A safely on tap!!! Right now with the gears available 45A is crazy!
Power is a fascinating thing, the more you have, the more you want, but the real power is having the restraint not to use it all at once...............Um...Yeah..

The harder you work.....The luckier you get!!

"People who say it can't be done are often interrupted by those that have already figured out how to do it!"

Email me @ currentcycles@gmail.com
OR check out http://www.CurrentCycles.net

mdd0127   100 kW

100 kW

Post by mdd0127 » Jul 19 2011 10:46am

It has current limiting and a low speed limit that can be set before power is applied. Between the two features, it should make the RC controllers pretty reliable. I'll be ordering a few of them for sure as soon as I'm able to. I think this will be a popular item!
Turn it OFF!!!

Apocaloptimist! (thx Kiwi!)

kevo   100 W

100 W

Post by kevo » Jul 19 2011 11:17am

Great work Justin, you've just made your legendary CA even more awesome!
Thanks Justin of http://ebikes.ca for your amazing talents, dedication and contributions to ES!
Post licensed under "Open Source" http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-nd/3.0/

Whiplash   100 MW

100 MW

Post by Whiplash » Jul 19 2011 12:03pm

Justin, you are so good at this stuff, why not make a complete controller that includes the CA? I would think it would be a big hit!
Power is a fascinating thing, the more you have, the more you want, but the real power is having the restraint not to use it all at once...............Um...Yeah..

The harder you work.....The luckier you get!!

"People who say it can't be done are often interrupted by those that have already figured out how to do it!"

Email me @ currentcycles@gmail.com
OR check out http://www.CurrentCycles.net

justin_le   10 MW

10 MW

Post by justin_le » Jul 19 2011 12:34pm

Whiplash wrote:Justin, you are so good at this stuff, why not make a complete controller that includes the CA?
I would if someone would take over the heavy task of running this business and grant me 2 months of uninterrupted development time! The technology especially on the microcontroller front has improved quite a lot since the last time I did this (complete controller) back in 2008:

Original Cross-Canada Controller
Cross Canada Regen Controller.jpg
Cross Canada Regen Controller.jpg (32.41 KiB) Viewed 3516 times

So it would be exciting to have another stab at it with modern hardware and actually make a single universal controller that works with any and all motors, sensored or sensorless, wide operating voltage, and at any RPM. Maybe it'll be a quiet enough winter for that :wink: .. -Justin

nicobie   10 MW

10 MW

Post by nicobie » Jul 19 2011 1:25pm

Delegate.

When I had my wholesale food distribution business I actually abandoned my commercial driving licence so I couldn't drive a truck anymore. Business doubled in 12 months. If you don't already have one, get a good business manager and hire/train somebody who can handle the technical questions that must swamp you on a daily basics.

Now I actually feel guilty bugging you about that Clyte controller/CA problem I have. :oops: If you can't get to it until winter, it will be fine with me. In fact I'd rather have you develop your new controller than get my Clyte controller figured out.

Your service is so good that maybe people (like me) are taking advantage of you.

Nick
Take it easy... but take it. (Woody Guthrie)

my eTownie build thread: http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewto ... =6&t=23701
Magazine article https://www.electricbike.com/nicks-etownie/

justin_le   10 MW

10 MW

Post by justin_le » Jul 19 2011 2:23pm

AussieJester wrote: I ordered me a CA and a BIG shunt from you
looks like the big shunt will be tossed in the draw now haha...
Actually it's good to have the large shunt as a very handy current reference. The smaller inline ones have about a +- 15% resistance variation around a nominal 1.35 mOhm each, so you can temporarily hook up the big shunt in your circuit and use the voltage drop across that to calibrate the smaller ones, or to calibrate the RShunt for any other -DP style CA.
p.s any chance you will build yourself up a "RC" motored bike in the near future Justin?
Nah, I don't like the whiny noise, and if I I'm gonna have a vehicle that has additional gearing complexity it'll be on something much sillier like this:
http://www.unicyclist.com/forums/showthread.php?t=89581

Grinhill   10 kW

10 kW

Post by Grinhill » Jul 19 2011 7:48pm

This looks great - less wires & less boxes always good.

I have just placed my order for one.

Thanks. :D
1995 Giant Hybrid - Zeta2 with 12V 7AH SLA - removed after one year.
2006 Converted Giant to Geared Brushless Rear Hub with 24V 17AH SLA - bike stolen 2007.
2008 Hardtail MTB Disc Brake - lightweight RC/LiPo system.
Grinhill's Medium-power RC-Motor Hardtail build
The Grinhill Mk2 RC-motor drive
Grinhill III - "Supercommuter" featuring Recumpence RC drive
Grinhilia - my Aprilia RS125 Conversion

amberwolf   100 GW

100 GW
Location: Phoenix, AZ, USA, Earth, Sol, Local Bubble, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Local Group

Post by amberwolf » Jul 20 2011 1:17am

justin_le wrote:if I I'm gonna have a vehicle that has additional gearing complexity it'll be on something much sillier like this:
Regarding the shifting issue with dual NuVincis, why not just mechanically link them, so they shift the same at the same time? If they need to shift opposite of each other, just reverse the link. IIRC they use a dual cable, one pulling one way for higher ratios, and the other the other way for lower ratios. Make or mod a shifter to pull two cables at the same time.

Alternately, use the MCU-controlled devkit's electronic shifter on both, and just one control for them, reversing the voltage ramp with an inverting op-amp for one of them if they must shift opposite.

(pardon the OT; I just didnt' want to intrude on the UC forum just for this, especially since I'm not certain I totally understand the problem)

justin_le   10 MW

10 MW

Post by justin_le » Jul 23 2011 10:07pm

amberwolf wrote:
justin_le wrote:if I I'm gonna have a vehicle that has additional gearing complexity it'll be on something much sillier like this:
Regarding the shifting issue with dual NuVincis, why not just mechanically link them, so they shift the same at the same time? If they need to shift opposite of each other, just reverse the link. IIRC they use a dual cable, one pulling one way for higher ratios, and the other the other way for lower ratios. Make or mod a shifter to pull two cables at the same time.

(pardon the OT; I just didnt' want to intrude on the UC forum just for this, especially since I'm not certain I totally understand the problem)
This is indeed rather OT to the RC thread, but of great interest to me anyways ;-). Linked shifting between two nuvinci's isn't in principle a problem, it's more the weight of two Nuvinci's that I wanted to avoid. So the ability to achieve reverse pedal torques with a single overruning clutch rather than an entire 2nd hub seems like a great plan, even if it means that the reverse direction gearing is of a fixed ratio.

Justin

justin_le   10 MW

10 MW

Post by justin_le » Jul 23 2011 10:16pm

Grinhill wrote:This looks great - less wires & less boxes always good.

I have just placed my order for one.

Thanks. :D
OK guys, so we had some other rather pressing things come up at the shop this past week, and the first batch of RC/CA's didn't quite get completed and shipped out on Friday as hoped, but it's getting quite close. All are programmed and calibrated and just needing the rear enclosure screwed on:
RC CAs in Box.jpg
RC CAs in Box.jpg (83.56 KiB) Viewed 3546 times
There are still a few unclaimed so if anyone else wants to be in on this first batch feel free to place the order at:
http://www.ebikes.ca/store/store_rc.php

And just to clarify, we will be including one of the 6-pin female JST pigtail conncetors and a pair of smaller metal shunts for free with each device so that people can try doing the direct plug to controller mod as I showed in the castle creations device. As well, the 5V output on the yellow wire goes through a schottky diode, so it won't mess anything up if you connected it to a ESC that has an onboard BEC operating at more than 5V.

Justin

Kepler   1 GW

1 GW

Post by Kepler » Jul 24 2011 2:54am

Thanks for the update Justin. Also appreciate the bonus shunt / cable and diode addition. :) Looking forward to testing both methods of connection.
Current Rides

Lightest true ebike on the planet: ON ROAD viewtopic.php?f=6&t=74269
eBoost on facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Eboost/200306283342024/

adrian_sm   10 MW

10 MW

Post by adrian_sm » Jul 26 2011 11:16pm

http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewto ... st#p431135
justin_le wrote: Once these things are done, then the output on the PWM pad is a 0.8-2.0 mS pulse every 25 mS, which should be able to feed into the speed control input of any RC controller.

Justin,

Any reason you are going for a 25ms between pulses? I thought the standard was 20ms.

- Adrian
Build #1 ~28kg ~ 700w Avanti Hardtail Crystalyte 408, 48V10Ah Headway. ~5500 kms to date. (retired)
Build #2 ~30kg ~2000w Giant AC Dually Crystalyte 408, 48V10Ah Headway + 6s10Ah LiPo = 70V. ~15000 kms to date [SOLD]
Build #3 ~13kg ~2000w Commuter Booster <1kg Friction Drive
Build #??? ~21kg ~1500w Adrian's Bafang BPM Hardtail MTB Bafang BPM code12, 15s LiPo, ~40kph, ~30kms