Astro motor information

Discussions related to motors other than hub motors.
This includes R/C motors, botttom bracket, roller and geared drives.
recumpence   100 GW

100 GW
Location: On Earth right now. That can change at any time, though..........

Astro motor information

Post by recumpence » Aug 31 2011 7:09pm

Hey Guys,

I have spent a lot of time on the phone with Astro lately regarding the 3200 series motors. We discussed the following;

Larger OD bearings for 3220s to support a 1/2 inch shaft better than the 7/8 OD bearings they have been using. Over the coming months all 3220s will move to that design.

Higher temp epoxy. They are looking into that right now and plan on implementing this soon.

Fan cooling. They are making me a prototype 3220 with a perforated can front plate and rear plate with a one inch long shaft protruding out the end of the can. I will be machining a squirel cage fan to mount to the rear shaft. This will pull air through the motor. My DaVinci drive cools the outside of the can. The fan will pull air directly through the windings for even better cooling from inside and out. I have had this idea for a long time, but never implemented it because all previous drive designs blocked the front of the motor. This blocked air from exiting (or entering) the front of the can. However, the DaVinci drive eliminates this problem by leaving the front of the motor completely unobstructed. Now the motor can be drilled for through can cooling.

We are working together, at this point, to spec 3200 series motors to MY personal requirements (at least for the motors I order from them).

They are VERY interested in working with me to make what I want.

Matt
1% of the world's population can think "Outside the box". The rest are firmly stuck within the box. Where are you?

Whiplash   100 MW

100 MW

Re: Astro motor information

Post by Whiplash » Sep 01 2011 2:48pm

That sounds like a good plan to me...
Power is a fascinating thing, the more you have, the more you want, but the real power is having the restraint not to use it all at once...............Um...Yeah..

The harder you work.....The luckier you get!!

"People who say it can't be done are often interrupted by those that have already figured out how to do it!"

Email me @ currentcycles@gmail.com
OR check out http://www.CurrentCycles.net

Miles   100 GW

100 GW

Post by Miles » Sep 02 2011 5:02am

recumpence wrote: We are working together, at this point, to spec 3200 series motors to MY personal requirements (at least for the motors I order from them).

They are VERY interested in working with me to make what I want.
Matt,

It would be handy for making modifications if both ends of the motor case could be detached, on all of the motor sizes..... They used to do the 3220 that way.

kfong   1 MW

1 MW

Post by kfong » Sep 02 2011 9:10am

If they make the front and back plates removable. We can machine our own cooling mods to fit.

recumpence   100 GW

100 GW

Post by recumpence » Sep 02 2011 10:50am

One prototype they are building for me is a 3220 with a vented front and rear plate. I will machine a squirl cage fan blade for the rear to pull air through the motor. This used to not be possible because the front of the can was blocked by the drive face plate. But the DaVinci drive is open on the front allowing through air flow.
1% of the world's population can think "Outside the box". The rest are firmly stuck within the box. Where are you?

recumpence   100 GW

100 GW

Post by recumpence » Sep 07 2011 6:31pm

I spoke with Astro at length today. They are looking into removeable front and rear plates for the 3220. There are a few specific issues with doing this. But, it is good for a number of reasons. They are also looking into higher temp epoxy per my request.

Also, they are quoting me on open plates (thick aluminum with a 4 spoke design) for maximum airflow as well as closed caps for those who want them.

I will let you guys know any info as I have it.

Matt

SoSauty   1 kW

1 kW

Post by SoSauty » Sep 08 2011 10:43pm

I'm curious to know how risky are open cans to collect debri resulting in motor failure. Do the Turnigy open outrunners have a pretty good record of running without this sort of failure :?: Should we screen our open can Astros or just run 'em open air :?:
http://www.ebikes.ca/index.shtml No.#1 Trusted E-bike online sales!
3 hardtail MTBs:
-48V Lith-ion 10.5amp hr-408 C-lyte
-BPM 8FUN[*STOLEN]
-run Century rides w/Q100 mini
3 folders:
-20" wife's BaFang,
-20" TurnigyMax50cc airline suitcase folder,
-24" Stewart/Hass 9C; 3.5K/40mph fun racer

recumpence   100 GW

100 GW

Post by recumpence » Sep 09 2011 6:11am

Good question. I guess that would depend on the location of the motor.

Matt

recumpence   100 GW

100 GW

Post by recumpence » Sep 10 2011 7:23am

Man, I have been on the phone A LOT with Astro.........

They are moving forward with all updates mentioned. We are also doing a couple other extremely wild things that are secret as of this moment.

I will keep you guys posted.

Matt

bigmoose   100 MW

100 MW

Post by bigmoose » Sep 10 2011 8:00am

Did they change the epoxy when the company changed hands? Will they share what the current epoxy is as a baseline?
"Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God..." all the best, Dave

recumpence   100 GW

100 GW

Post by recumpence » Sep 10 2011 10:58am

bigmoose wrote:Did they change the epoxy when the company changed hands? Will they share what the current epoxy is as a baseline?
No. Supposedly this is the same epoxy Bob wass using. I do not know if it is the same vendor, however.

This new stuff may be a special formula for their application because the adhesive engineer is going their to match the best formula to their needs.

My latest batch of motors may have this new epoxy assuming they can get a batch in time.

Matt

mclovin   100 W

100 W

Post by mclovin » Sep 10 2011 5:07pm

Matt,
Any idea if the 3205 motor will live again? Hi power 3220's are cool but personally I'm more into low profile, moderate power applications.

Cheers!

recumpence   100 GW

100 GW

Post by recumpence » Sep 10 2011 5:38pm

Sure, I can get 3205s. I believe retail is $300 for one.

Matt

recumpence   100 GW

100 GW

Post by recumpence » Sep 27 2011 6:07pm

I just got confirmation from Astro Flight that all motors that are currently on order will come with the new high temp epoxy. This is really good news!

Also, they are machining two fan cooled prototype 3220s for me and I have two fans being machined as well. One motor is mine and one is for FFR trikes.

I will get back to you with any additional information as I have it.

Matt