ultramotor europa

Discussions related to motors other than hub motors.
This includes R/C motors, botttom bracket, roller and geared drives.
juddi1   1 µW

1 µW

ultramotor europa

Post by juddi1 » Dec 07 2011 1:20pm

Hi..I just got my hands on my first e bike a ultramotor Europa. I notice that when I trottle sometime the motor will not engage and I have to ease up off the trottle and trottle again until the motor engages. The problem seems to be in the motor. Any ideas as to what's going on and any solutions or suggestions on a fix or repair? It sounds like a transmission sliping. Can the whole wheel be sent out for repair or swaped out?

stewrobb   1 W

1 W

Re: ultramotor europa

Post by stewrobb » Dec 07 2011 4:39pm

Sounds like A) controller issue, or B) hall sensor issue.

Repairs on these motors is barely worth it if you can't do it yourself, shipping is brutal on these things, (it is a pain to do as well mind you). Most people here are willing to help diagnose a problem, but we would need more details. No use throwing money at something that isn't broken eh.

First thing to do is check all the connections, make sure they are tight (sometimes a single pin on the hall sensor plug (small wires coming out of the motor) is loose/pushed out). If this doesn't solve your problem (which it probably won't), put the bike up on a stand so the motor is off the ground. Give it a little throttle to see if it moves, try this from every position of the wheel, as in move it very slightly each time. If you find a dead spot, it means you've got a hall sensor issue (which is a big pain).

If you can't find a dead spot then something else is the matter (most likely a faulty controller), and report back here. Controllers are cheap, motors aren't.

Is it jumpy when you ride it normally? Does it start from a dead stop, or only once your moving?

Hope we can help. Cheers,

Stew
Gio 500+ scooter - @72v 50A X8M06 Greentime Controller
Delta/Wye - Regen - 20s3p 20c Turnigy hardcase
- Drove until the end, bent frame retired it

Current Build:
Ironhorse Hardtail frame, 120mm Suspension
Front Hayes Hydro Disc, Rear cable Disc
18 FET 4110 60A (for now) Controller
1000w Rear Motor - 420rpm@48v
20s3p Turnigy 5Ah

juddi1   1 µW

1 µW

Post by juddi1 » Dec 09 2011 2:54pm

Peace..Thanks Stew your suggestion seemed to be the solution. Once I disconnected and reconnected the plugs together it cleared the problem , those plugs look worn and weathered. Any suggestion on replacement? I was thinking something from a auto supply store.

stewrobb   1 W

1 W

Post by stewrobb » Dec 10 2011 3:08pm

Glad to hear it was that simple, sometimes I spend hours looking for something more complicated and then I realize it was something stupid, so I try and start from the beginning each time.

For something that small you can use a board header and cut both female and male side down to 5 pins, solder the female connector to the controller side (to prevent shorting of the 5v rail) and cover the solder connection with heatshrink and some electrical tape to be safe.

Enjoy your bike.
Gio 500+ scooter - @72v 50A X8M06 Greentime Controller
Delta/Wye - Regen - 20s3p 20c Turnigy hardcase
- Drove until the end, bent frame retired it

Current Build:
Ironhorse Hardtail frame, 120mm Suspension
Front Hayes Hydro Disc, Rear cable Disc
18 FET 4110 60A (for now) Controller
1000w Rear Motor - 420rpm@48v
20s3p Turnigy 5Ah