FFR Trikes wins Pike's Peak 1st and 2nd places!!!

recumpence

1 GW
On Earth right now. That can change at any time, t
Hey Guys,

The title says it all. Tom texted me and said they took first and second place. The next closest guy was several minutes behind them.

The only other data I have is that they averaged 32mph all the way up and that the trikes used less than half of their 50 amphour packs in the process. So, they used something around 22 or 23 amphours (12S lipo) to run the entire way at 32mph average.

One trike was a totally stock model 411 using a 4 turn Wye 3220 and the other trike ran one of my custom 4 turn fan cooled 3220s. They both ran HV160s.

I will get more information as I have it.

Matt

Oh, tentatively, we may collaborate on next year's entry. I could possibly do a custom monocoque frame with integrated battery box and some very creative cooling. It would be cool to see 40+mph. :mrgreen:

May also have something to do with the aerodynamics of a recumbent bike... ;)

Congrats to team FFR! Yeah, I like how they do things...

neptronix said:
May also have something to do with the aerodynamics of a recumbent bike... ;)

And the cornering ability.

Actually, the frontal area of a trike and the 3 wheels makes it slower than an upright bike. A two wheeled recumbent is faster than an upright.

The issue I have with Opti is their arrogence. They assume their poop don't stink. I like their bikes, but it seems to me more could be achieved with less cost.

I am glad for FFR. Those guys deserve a leg-up in the industry. They work so hard.

Matt

Awesome stuff...

I tried going up last year on a dual 3220 astro powered trike and blew 1 of the motors in a trial run running up Mount Diablo.

FFR must have had the gearing and cooling worked out just right.

Big congrats to FFR trikes for finally knocking Optibike off the pikes peak pedestal.

I heard a hub powered bike finished 3rd...followed by a fleet of Optibikes.

fireworksanimation-13.gif

Congrats FFR!!

1st E-S Pike's Peak Winner!

Yep, I was the 3rd place hub powered bike. I'll post more details soon, but thought I'd mention a few highlights. FFR trikes were bad ass. They could corner very fast, unlike me having to slow way down, then accelerate for each curve. A big advantage there. FFR guys were a class act (as were the optis). I spoke with both groups. All nice guys. I followed the trikes for a bit on the descent. They were encouraging every rider we passed. Like I said, a real class act. More to follow! Oh and my hub motor is a 9c 6x10 liquid cooled!

Adam

recumpence said:
The issue I have with Opti is their arrogence. They assume their poop don't stink. I like their bikes, but it seems to me more could be achieved with less cost.

I echo that; that's why i built my magic pie race bike. Shame that i didn't have the pleasure coming out there to be beat by FFR.. :lol:

I'm so glad someone did it, is all. To me, i don't want to put the message to the world that an eBike needs to be $6,000-$11,000 to be exciting, fun, or useful.

Next year i will bring my budget racer.

recumpence said:
Adam,

You live about 90 minutes from my house! You ought to stop by sometime. :)

Matt

I couldn't tell from your pic where you live. Where is it? Love to stop by sometime for a ride.

Ya those FFR are way fast in the corners, and the straights. I had my Cycle analyst set to top out at 23 amps to avoid overheating. I suppose I could've dialed it up a bit, but there isn't any time during the race. A couple times I tried to take in the scenery, and almost went over the edge! Focus Focus! I had to focus on the road in front of me. I haven't seen the official race times posted, but I believe I finished between 25 and 26 minutes at about 27.5 mph. I'll have to check out my CA data when I can. I do remember I used 1009 wh on the ascent, and saw 10% regen when I hit the bottom. Yes, I regened all the way down! I run 30s lipo, 12ah charged to 4.15v/cell.

Edit: forgot to add, if you click on this link and hit "Another photo gallery", I'm in the first and second picture! I'll have more photos to post later. Unfortunately, I mustve clicked the wrong button on my Ipod, so the video didn't take. Ooops. http://www.gazette.com/sports/peak-141668-fire-others.html

Congrats FFR! good race

If you guys are curious, the fastest opti used 500WH and made it up in 30 minutes

Very cool! :shock: I'd LOVE to do that some day! :twisted:

Thanks guys.
It certainly was a blast. Up and down the mountain. I plan to do a proper write up in a day or two complete with pics. I'm heading back to Wisconsin now. Stay tuned!

Thanks for all the awesome support guys! It certainly wouldn't have been possible without all we've learned from the ES forum.

Since there was no official timing, we're doing our best to round up timing of the finishers. Here's what we have so far:

Place|Rider|Team|Time|Average Speed|Vehicle

1. Tommy Ausherman | FFR | 23:32 | 31.6 mph | FFR Transition 422R
2. Jesse Lee | FFR | 24:31 | 30.2 mph | FFR Transition 411R
3. Adam (Itchynackers) | Homebuilt | 26:18 | 28.3 mph | Homebuilt Liquid-Cooled 9C Trek
4. John S. | Optibike | 32:18 (from Opti) | 22.3 mph | Optibike 1100R
5. ? | Optibike | ? | ? | ?

The race course (same as the PPIHC course):
2012PPIHCMap-1.jpg

Our view from the top (incredible!) Tommy on the left, Jesse on the right:
PP2012PeakPhoto.jpg

It was pretty surreal racing to the top. Our early 6AM start made for a stunning view as the sun rose on the mountain. Temps were chilly in the mid forties, wind was calm, and the skies were clear. The race was tight on the flatter lower section of the mountain, as our trikes, Adam's bike, and Opti's 1100R's were all very similar in top speeds. Once it started getting steep and twisty, we began to open a bit of a lead with later braking in the corners, more speed through the corners, and more power out of the turns. Air gets thinner, colder, and drier as the climb continues. I gave my maximum pedaling effort throughout the whole climb, except for during the corners. Winding temps climbed to a maximum of 180F on the 422R, as I crested the peak, to find that the finish line hadn't yet been setup! It was 38F on the summit, and my mouth dry as a bone, and my lungs exhausted. I was thrilled to see Jesse blast through the finish less than a minute later on the 411R. We of course high fived and were pumped to see Adam come through shortly after! We talked with Adam, and the Optibike guys up top, all great fellas! Great work to all. Electric bike racing has a great future.

We're in the midst of the nonstop drive back to NC right now, and we're pretty whipped. We'll have a race video uploaded shortly from our perspectives, and more details soon!

Thanks again for all the great support,
Tommy, Dan & Jesse @ FFR

itchynackers said:
Thanks guys.
It certainly was a blast. Up and down the mountain. I plan to do a proper write up in a day or two complete with pics. I'm heading back to Wisconsin now. Stay tuned!
Adam,
Want to show off your bike this Sunday up in Madison at my alt-fuel transportation expo?
Green Drive Expo
Noon-5pm
Indoors at the Alliant Energy Center Exhibit Hall B
Part of the Dane County Fair

You could have your own booth, or I could link you up with the other EV guys. Electric cars, motorcycles, etc. You could even do a speaker session about it if you wanted, I'd make room!

I know you are travelling right now, but it would be very cool to have you there.

I have my own e-bike (and scooters, and mopeds, and...) but nothing quite as powerful as yours!

Call me or email me and we can talk
Eric Powers 608-729-4082. eric@greendriveexpo.com

Back