...A new one! [low-cost dirt bike] -- second test video

silvocross

100 W
Hi guys,
following the results of my first electric bike (http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=35694), I'm starting a new improved build.

I'm moving to Trento (italy), it's an alpine city, so I need a bike capable of some good offroad.
As always, my budget is really low, so I'll not use DH components, not many expensive machinings and so on, I'll try to keep it as much homemade as I can.

The main components:

- C80-100 rewinded engine
- Turnigy dlux 160HV controller
- LiPO 12s cells
- Custom throttle interface
- Dirtbike 35mm USD front fork
- Rear shock not chosen yet
- Dirtbike Racetech handlebar
- 26" wheels

The frame is inspired by the awesome work Ratking made with his downhill bike.
Like my first build, I'll use just one final chain to the wheel, combining pedals and motor power on a main shaft. I'll then use a 2 or 3 gears sequential transmission for both pedals and motor.

here a quick concept video, there are many things missing yet:

http://youtu.be/YNuCDhJ16Ts

suggestions are really welcome!

Many thanks!

Fork:

12%2520-%25201.jpg

building a case for these gears won't be so easy... mabye it's simpler to use an original gearbox from a honda dax ;)

I like your reduction gearbox on youtube. It's only two stage, so no high rpm and no power with an RC-motor, even if you rewind it, torque will not grow much. Which reduction ratio are you aiming on?

crossbreak said:
building a case for these gears won't be so easy... mabye it's simpler to use an original gearbox from a honda dax ;)

I like your reduction gearbox on youtube. It's only two stage, so no high rpm and no power with an RC-motor, even if you rewind it, torque will not grow much. Which reduction ratio are you aiming on?

I'll definitely use the 4 gear transmission, It's cheaper and a lot smaller then my first 2 gears concept.

I rewinded the motor for about
Code:
kV = 118 rpm/V

primary transmission will be
Code:
i = 0,232

final tranmission
Code:
ii = 22/38

and here the 4 gears ratio and the relative max speed:

Code:
I      10/33   =>  25 km/h
II     15/29   =>  42 km/h
III    19/24   =>  65 km/h
IV     21/22   =>  78 km/h

that's cool , you do 3-stage 8)

so I guess you get 1/0.232*38/22=7,44 standart gear ratio

reduction ratio would be

I 1:24,55
II 1:14,38
III 1:9,4
IV 1:7,8

If you do 25km/h in the first gear your wheel does ~200rpm. That would be 4933 motor rpm . Lets say the no load rpm are about 1.2 times the load rpm, so you should get 5920 motor-rpm when spinning free in the first gear. Your battery voltage should be about 50 volts then. If you wanna use 12s you just calculated right ;)

how will you build the gearbox? And will there be any pedals?

Ok, I adjusted the project to fit the 4 gears transmission.
The coaxial pinion is unfortunately gone, but I'll save a lot of weight.

rendering%252010.JPG

remdering%252011.JPG

The project is almost finished, hope to begin the construction next week!

I will be watching this one, I quite often thought about gearing the peddles to the motor speed, I know it will make it very hard to peddle but who cares, its just to make it 'legal', one thing I would say ( and you may not be able to do anything about it ) the ratios are very close together, I would go for at least double the ratios that you have or you will be forever shifting or you will get lazy and just start using the higher gears which will put undue stress on the controller.

silvocross said:
I just found out a 4 speed sequential transmission that fits perfectly in the frame (7cm wide)... so good!
12%2520-%25201.jpg
Very cool builds!

My buddies and I have been seriously curious about using a transmission like you are doing. How are you enclosing the gears?

We have looked at 50cc 2-strokes because the transmission is separated from the crankcase. Grinding and or machining away the crankcase and just using the transmission case...is that what you are doing or are you making your own transmission case or???

More pics of this area would be great. <edit> Just saw your new post and pic of the transmission in the frame...are you going to encase the gears in any way?</edit>
Thanks!

RWP said:
<edit> Just saw your new post and pic of the transmission in the frame...are you going to encase the gears in any way?</edit>
Thanks!

The bearings will be mounted, from the outside, in holders soldered in the frame. According to solidworks, I'll have enough space to mount the shafts without covers etc.. :wink:

the transmission comes from a 50cc moped:

26495.jpg

Ok the bike is almost (software) completed, only the rear shock is missing (it's coming next week).

rendering%252012.JPG

rendering%252011.JPG

and this is the shock I ordered:

scaled.php

Awesome, will be keeping a close eye on this. But it brings one problem I have been wondering about for a while to the surface, how strong do the gears need to be to withstand the motor? What pitch, width and material are they made from? If they are from a scooter then they should be strong, I am fiddling about with some design concepts myself but far under-qualified to determine if the gears will hold up, or what ones I need, so if you could tell me what works for you that would be awesome.

Is the frame going to be left open, as in made from a U profile? that would be pretty trippy, just remember to leave some drainage holes. That's a serious looking spring you got there, the bike is going to be so fun...

From my previous calculations I' ve done for the first construction and from the practical experience it's fine to use gears made of c35 steel with a module m=1.5mm and width 17mm. The transmission gears have 1.75mm module, width 9mm and are hardened. However the main problems are not the struggle on tooth but the high speeds so if you want to calculate them you need Hertz law.

Thanks for posting gear ratios and modules, that helps a lot! Have you seen the pictures about the Herkules Prima gearbox V3 I posted? This may give you some sort of reference, it's an equal configuration.
motor-aufbau1ila.jpg

1. pedal shaft
2. shifter shaft
3. clutch shaft
4+5 crankshaft

crossbreak said:
Thanks for posting gear ratios and modules, that helps a lot! Have you seen the pictures about the Herkules Prima gearbox V3 I posted? This may give you some sort of reference, it's an equal configuration.

that's a really interesting transmission, very compact. I never seen this shifting method before

This morning I found out an old man who lent me his lathe, so I machined many bearing holders, the front wheel shaft and swingarm shafts:

12%2520-%25203.jpg

Here front and rear wheel hubs :D :

12%2520-%25201.jpg

then I bought some more toothed gears:

12%2520-%25202.jpg

Back