Tonaro User group

rroland

100 mW
Lets start a new Group " the Tonaro User group"
Specific information and upgrade Details.
is Product supplied from China has many different names in the world and it is a very cost effective bike( in my opinion)!
I now have a bike and it is a May 2012 Production model and I believe that a lot of people are interested in information and details on the innovations and developments in the E bike World.
photo of Zoco attached

Attachments

• Zoco Rossa Oct2012.jpg
    Zoco Rossa Oct2012.jpg
    407.9 KB · Views: 8,718
My Tonaro has 1300 miles, very happy with my purchase. I may upgrade to 48 volts next summer.

Attachments

• R10 Sept 2011 007.JPG
    R10 Sept 2011 007.JPG
    189.3 KB · Views: 8,664
  • Tonaro.png
    Tonaro.png
    152 KB · Views: 8,665
I am currently making a manual on the Zoco Rossa (has a Central Drive System into the Nu Vinci N360 Internal Hub for adjustment and transfer torque to the rear wheel combined with front and rear suspension.)It appears that there many variations and this means people can learn from others . this will assist in all being able to go in there own direction.
very pleased that I went for the Nu Vinci N360 version.

Hi Roland, interesting suggestion for sure, there is a wealth of information out there, you can check out the rmartin R10 threads as well. Having had a whole heap of trouble with freewheels and deraileurs I think the nuvinci option a smart upgrade. Crank drives at 1000watts have awesome offroad performance and I would be interested in others experience of the reliability/longevity of these systems in general, at higher power levels.

I've got an older version of the Tonaro gear box. Put about 900W max through it but at lower gears/higher RPMs. Gets me up some very steep places offroad without pedalling. Had to replace one bearing/helical gear but I think that was not strain but collision damage. Got that (2) direct from Javy at CATIC China - only as Phil at Powerpedals UK didn't have such an old part - cost £100 incl 2 'umbrella' gears also (didn't request but somehow bought!). Javy was good to deal with direct. Could find the CSK one-way bearing locally but not the gear.
Read someone say that it's reasonably economical to keep replacing rear cassettes as opposed to fitting a hub gear - but not as slick. I need really low gearing and not sure hub gears allow that?
My added inner 74bcd chainwheel is 24t but have to manually change it when confronted by a steep hill! Anyone had any joy with a front derailleur addition? Looks nigh on impossible...

Thanks gorach and alban .
You gave me lots of info when I started the road to an E bike.
I have now done 450 K ms since I received the bike on the 6th this month.
real love riding and the Nu Vinci is definitely the way to Go.(Variable speed I mean as I have no experiences with other brands)
Was using my Garmin Nuvi 260 as a logging source but lost it in the creek.
Made a Bracket for my Motorola XT910 Razr android now and will use that.
Was thinking of a evaluation system ?
has any one had some experience with Speedict on a Tonaro type bike?
A few posts i have seem on the forum seem that it is a good system.
Photo of Phone on bike.

Attachments

• Bike Phone.jpg
    Bike Phone.jpg
    127.1 KB · Views: 2,994
Roland are you asking about a speedometer? Walmart sells Bell 12 function speedmeters for less than 20 bucks. I bought one two years ago and still works great; shows speed, mileage, temp, time etc. Really easy to install and at less than 20 bucks cheaper to replace than my expensive smartphone.
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Bell-15-Function-Wireless-Speedometer-Black/15239492?findingMethod=rr
bell.jpg

Gday mate. Just wondering rroland if the chain tensioner on the bike in the photo in your post came with the bike or did you fit it? I have heard that its a worthwhile mod due to the swing arm movement causing undue pressure on the hub bearings due to the chain over tensioning. It would be good if its been added to the bikes from the factory. I have a Rosso on its way.

Cheers
Floyd

Great idea!

I have the Nicebike Daytona. Same as the Bighit.
I'm planning some upgrades to it, mainly electrical with focus on the controller and battery but I'm thinking about a Nuvinci hub as well.

/Anders

Definitely go the Nuvinci drive and its a product that is used on superchargers, generators etc in big industry. Still trawling this forum for articles on mods to this style of bike. I know most Gophers (electric wheel chairs) use the same motor that's on the bike but I think these too are restricted to 200 watts to be legal to use on the roads.
My bike will be here Monday. The first mod will be to run gear oil in the gearbox in place of the grease and this should allow less friction. The fact that this bike has effectively a gearbox this opens the door to some very worthwhile mods for power and range capabilities.

Floyd

Ahoog said:
Great idea!

I have the Nicebike Daytona. Same as the Bighit.
I'm planning some upgrades to it, mainly electrical with focus on the controller and battery but I'm thinking about a Nuvinci hub as well.

/Anders

The Chain tensioner is a Shimano Alfine ST-S500 Came with the bike and i believe it to be standard on the Rossa full Suspension bike.
Floyd1 said
The first mod will be to run gear oil in the gearbox in place of the grease and this should allow less friction. The fact that this bike has effectively a gearbox this opens the door to some very worthwhile mods for power and range capabilities.
I'm interested in this idear as when my bike came it was a little stiff butt has now freed up.

Thank Chief. The bike illustrated on the Aus importers Ebay site dose not show the tensioner so lets hope it has been fitted since. I have read that the N360 has suffered from oil leaks on some units so its clear proper set up is what will make these units last.

Thanks

I've had no leaking problem with the N360. When I first got he Bike the Gear selection cables were crossed but this was rectified instantly by sending me anew part by air-bag. N360 website and attention to assistance is also very Good.
Any issues solved quickly so I have only admiration for these guys.

:D
rroland said:
I've had no leaking problem with the N360. When I first got he Bike the Gear selection cables were crossed but this was rectified instantly by sending me anew part by air-bag. N360 website and attention to assistance is also very Good.
Any issues solved quickly so I have only admiration for these guys.

Well my bike arrived Monday, a Zoco Rossa and what a beaut little machine. Done a few worthwhile mods and will post pictures of them soon. Fitted some decent lights, installed a bush in the battery box where the locking pin goes through to take out all the slop. Cleaned up the taillight wiring.
Question. The bike will only do round 10 klm hour flat out under full throttle no peddling set on high on control pad. There is no speed restrictor or magnet on the back wheel as described in other threads on here I have researched. I'm not after huge power and appreciate keeping fit by peddling but on occasions it would be nice to lean on the drive system once and a while but travelling a bit faster than walking pace. After a big ride the motor is barely warm at all even riding up steep hills so its definitely only using a fraction of its potential. Any ideas on how to increase the top speed to at least 20 klm hour without replacing the controller etc? There is a 17 amp hour battery from Panasonic on its way for these bikes but I doubt that its the battery that is the problem in this case. The Nuvinci drive is an interesting concept but I did not mind the derailleur system on my old bike which definitely offered more scope as it is a 21 speed. A 21 speed in place of the Nuvinci would be awesome. It would be interesting to see if a derailleur could be used in conjunction with the Nuvcici 360 to achieve a over drive arrangement. Something to tinker with later. Any ideas on how to increase top speed using throttle only to achieve at least 20 klm hour?

Cheers
Floyd

Picture of the bush I fitted to eliminate the slop where the locking pin secures the battery box on the Zoco Rossa.

Attachments

• Batt Bush.JPG
    Batt Bush.JPG
    50.5 KB · Views: 7,837
Nice "Little" Speed Controller tucked away high and dry. With the stock setup even the steepest hill dose not stress out the components. The motor drive runs cool under pressure. This bike is quite civil and could use a few mods to maximize gain from this configuration and it has some potential.

Attachments

• Controller.JPG
    Controller.JPG
    65.5 KB · Views: 7,837
Picture of the chain tensioner. Pretty sure this was not fitted to the original bikes which caused a few problems with chain stretch. In the rough the swingarm gets a workout so this is a good addition if your earlier bike did not come with one as standard.

Attachments

• Chain Tensioner.JPG
    Chain Tensioner.JPG
    81.8 KB · Views: 7,837
Did you try changing gear to get more speed. If not try again in top gear, or maybe your Nuvinci isn't changing. Can you feel it changing with the motor switched off?

Floyd, I have no experience of the Tonaro or derivatives, but I do use a Nuvinci N360 hub.
My feeling is like d8veh that you are not getting the full range of ratio change with your N360. I know there have been some issues with the N360 if not installed properly. Just to give you an idea of the ability of the Nuvinci; my set up is a mid drive motor with 44T chainring and an 18T sprocket on the N360 in 26” wheel. At a pedal /crank cadence of ~80 RPM I get a range from low ratio 7mph (11Kph) to high ratio 26mph (41Kph). I wonder what your road speed is low to high ratio on the N360 without motor power and pedalling on level ground.

I’m not sure what the chainring and sprocket are on your Zoco Rossa, so your max speeds may be different. But the N360 is capable of a range of gear equivalents to a 21 speed derailleur system, without the clunking chain skip problems that can occur when changing gear with the extra power of the mid drive and derailleur combo.

Can you visually check that there is full movement of the Hub-Interface compared to the shift lever positions.

There’s some useful information about setting up the N360 on the Parktool site http://www.parktool.com/blog/calvins-corner/NuVinci-360-Hub+#lever.

I'll check all the above and find out the ratios on the cogs. The Nuvinci seems to be working fine and no problems with range of adjustment. The bike is going great and once its more run in it should go even better.

Cheers

Picture of the Battery Box rear hold down clip on the Zoco Rossa I just fitted. Anyone who has done a bit of off road will have noticed the battery banging around. With the bush which sleeved the hole in the battery box for the lock and this clip its fixed the problem and its still quick release. The cam lock clip was off an old grinder shield.

Cheers
Floyd

Attachments

• Rear Batt Clip.JPG
    Rear Batt Clip.JPG
    56.9 KB · Views: 7,814
Great that you have the toy
Mods to your requirements is always the way to make it as you like.
My Mods Have Been
1. addition of voltage reducer.( Had issues finding a place for it )
2. Independent battery Tail Light(Flashing)
3. Independent battery Front Light(Flashing)
4. Indicators Independent battery Tail Light(Flashing)
Issues
First up a Gear selector problem answer Solved
Second bearing brake down in the crank drive to be solved
Assistance is great and backup is not an issue.
Typical Chinese; no attention to detail or product material quality. (My opinion)

Attachments

• Tail Lights.jpg
    Tail Lights.jpg
    150.4 KB · Views: 2,680
  • Controller.jpg
    Controller.jpg
    6.1 KB · Views: 7,807
Just working out he idiosyncrasies of the bike to make it suitable for touring. I definitely want to get he crank drive blue printed and add oil to the sump as this is the bikes weak point I believe. I have a few RC Rock crawlers and one of them uses a worm drive. They are very fickle if not set up right although the the Rossa is not technically a worm drive it it simular and the same principles apply. If the gears are not perfectly aligned the whole lot will fall in a heap.
Is it possible to run 48 volt thru the stock controller and motor or is the moderate performance just lack of amps? The wiring is a bit light duty and definitely one area that could do with some work.
I will be either modifying my Giant or buying a 48 volt bike eventually so the main thing for this bike is reliability.

cheers

Attachments

• Crank Drive.JPG
    Crank Drive.JPG
    69.2 KB · Views: 7,796
Back