I got the bugg again, after talking with some old timer who flagged me down at the Goodwill, I am going to take plunge into the deep-end, and modify the frame!
I was really surprised to get such a positive response from this Harley Motorcycle builder, who is very excited about the E-Zilla, and has consulted in the building of electric motorcycles (he has more ink than most tatoo shops, complete with ZZ top beard & hair!), after talking to him for a few hours in his shop he convinced me to change from other ideas of making a cruiser like recumbent, and said "Not much turns my head, and THAT bike is a winner!"
So I have decided to stay with this frames' design, and in the process of defining it as a type that I plan to use on long trips, (I hope to duplicate this in lighter weight chromoly steel once I am happy with this prototype) I hope the classic lines & high torque motor will be a good selling point.
I have always wanted to have the motor as close to the rear wheel as possible, well I got the "OK!" from Al, so out comes the angle grinder!
Here are the planned mods:
You will notice that there is an "A" frame just below the saddle with a separate box in front for the battery, I have been toying with this idea for a while, and now that I am at the point of either having to make/buy a custom crank spindle, I have instead decided to move the motor back where it will be below and behind the pedals enough as not to interfere with them.
Removed the original mounts to see how everything lays-out.
(Fortunately this old cake pan is almost exactly the same diameter of the Cromotor, so it helps get the spacing right. I will have to wait for the aluminum tube however, I always get the Fastenal guy shaking his head, he almost NEVER has what I need in stock
I will of course need to chop the seat tube to make room for the motor, and I will be bridging that gap with the motor mounts.
This time around, instead of using the clamps mounts, I will be adding tubing at each point of the "A" frame that will go through the last bit of the seat tube on the inside the frame up top, and after removing all else of it, I will drill holes through the down tube having perpendicular tubes going through that will also be JB welded to the frame (I am using aluminum tubing to go through though the steel frame) so there will be no compression on the down tube, as it is an odd shape, and not ideal for clamping anyway).