Mongoose CX 450 Builds

EvoBikeShop

100 W
Hello all.

New to ebiking and to endless sphere. Just wanted to introduce myself and my first build a mongoose cx 450.

EBS

Attachments

• CX SIDE.jpg
    CX SIDE.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 7,868
  • Screenshot_2013-02-08-01-01-46.jpg
    Screenshot_2013-02-08-01-01-46.jpg
    10 KB · Views: 7,868
  • 20130215_181540(4).jpg
    20130215_181540(4).jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 7,802
Hello and welcome to the ebike grin :D I think your bike might have a currie motor if so you might try to search or or p/m drk angle for details on how to mod, I also started out with a currie motor and managed to get 30 mph out of it with a 16 tooth gear and a 48 v sla battery setup, I still have the gear if you ever need one.

e-biker said:
Hello and welcome to the ebike grin :D I think your bike might have a currie motor if so you might try to search or or p/m drk angle for details on how to mod, I also started out with a currie motor and managed to get 30 mph out of it with a 16 tooth gear and a 48 v sla battery setup, I still have the gear if you ever need one.

Already ahead of ya. Got the 16t on the way and bout to order the 48v controller from tnc and going to have to wait until next month for the batteries. Thanks for the warm welcome!

I decided to start a build thread, so here i go. Just picked up a mogoose cx 450, it was pretty ragged when I got it. So i tore it down and greased all the bearings, installed some cheapo forks and rear shock from a doner genesis v2100. The v2100 stuff will have to do for now. It was missing most of the plastics when delivered, but its ok cause i was going to ditch em anyway. I was going to go 48v but decided to go 36v instead because i want to intergrate a 36v led headlight to the battery system. Next month I will be setting it up for right side drive only using cyclone components but will be sticking with a currie motor and controller.

It just sucks that i will have to buy another motor cause this one spins the wrong way lol! Not sure if im going to go sla 36v first or just jump right into lipos. Well i guess that all depends how much money i will have to spend next month. I will also be adding a shimano nexus 3 speed internal hub. Well thats all for now. Will post more as the build moves forward. Oh and also will be adding a 16t southpaw lefty sprocket for now when it comes in.

EBS

Here are some pics after the initial mods. More to come.

EBS

Attachments

• CX SIDE.jpg
    CX SIDE.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 8,248
  • CX FRONT 1.jpg
    CX FRONT 1.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 8,248
  • CX REAR 2.jpg
    CX REAR 2.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 8,247
  • CX REAR 1.jpg
    CX REAR 1.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 8,247
EvoBikeShop said:
cause this one spins the wrong way lol!

I have been totally lazy here..not read any more of the thread..but you say it spins the wrong way..I see it is a mid mount..is it a brushless motor ? with halls ?

If so , if it spins the wrong way then it is just a matter of swapping a few wires around to get it spinning the other way.

Won't go into detail just yet..but I am guessing that this could be the solution

All you have to do is reverse the red and black power wires coming out of the motor. Be careful what kind of controller you use. The Currie controllers have a current limiting feature which will keep you from burning up the motor. Stick to 36V. 48V is too much and will burn up the motor at full throttle. Actually just use Currie parts, controller, throttle etc. You can get them on tncscooters.com for a good price. I say all this because I've killed my only 2 motors in the last 2 weeks and am now penniless and Ev-less. I was using a universal 24-60V scooter controller which didn't restrict the current and it killed both motors. I went with the 5 pin Currie controller and throttle and they worked fine. Does your bike have a 24 or 36V motor? If you are going to run 36V to a 24V motor, it will significantly increase your rpm and top speed and adding the south paw will take you up to 30+ mph. However it might not be as quick because I think you have a smaller wheel base so it might be closer to 25+ mph. But you'll have better acceleration. Have fun.

Yup, just reverse the wires and it will run the other way. Definitely watch your amps. I have burned up 2 or 3 of these by feeding them too many amps. With the right gearing they can be very fun and are a pretty robust motor. I was amazed at how long mine lasted with 100 amps and 50v running into the 1000w version, but in the end it was too much for it.

Clay

Wow what a great response. I wish the other forums I'm on would be like this lol! Well its two wires to the motor. It is a brushed motor and I have the 24v system. I am only going to run 36v because of the led headlight im going to be running. But 25mph is pleanty for me, anything more the cops will start harrasing me. The police where I live have nothing else better to do then to harass you for stupid crap.

Can i run 36v on a 24v currie controller? I read somwhere else that i can. But I'd like to ask you guys first.

EBS

I've never been able to get any of 24V currie controllers to work at 36V. I plug the battery in and nothing happens. Your best bet would be to buy the 36V controller and throttle.

Yup, I'm pretty sure the 24v controller won't want to play with 36v. For the cost of the Currie controllers, it is easy enough to get a 36v controller and throttle so you know it will work.

As for batteries, cram as many as you can in the stock holder as see how far it gets you. Your best power to weight is lipo, but you may not want to take that jump yet. It is up to you.

Clay

Bad news. Battery pack shorted out bad today. Got new batteries and rewired the pack. Could only get sla batteries on such short notice. Hopefully 7.5ah will get me 4 miles so i can still get to work. Should be installing 16t sprocket by monday. Does anybody know what tool is needed to remove the factory lefty freewheel on the rim?

If you take the wheel to your local bike shop they may take it off for free. If you do it yourself, a single speed freewheel tool will work but then you have to buy the tool. The new freewheel will just thread on. You may have a small chain alignment issue because the 16 tooth is a little wider than the stock one. It should work fine tough. It might click a little as the chain goes over the teeth but it won't hurt anything wear and tear wise. You might want to try an already assembled pack. You might check out bmsbattery.com. Their prices aren't too steep and they have a shrink tube pack that should fit where the original batteries were placed. The one I bought and am currently using is the 36V 20Ah lithium ion shrink tube for $289.00 with charger. It cost me $390.00 total with shipping and I was using it on a similar set up just a different bike frame. You have to choose the DHL option for shipping because no one else will ship lithium.

EvoBikeShop said:
Thanks for the info on the controller. Where is the cheapest place to get lipos?

Hobby King

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__86__85__Batteries_Accessories-Li_Poly_All_brands_.html

You often get cheaper prices if you create an account and log in. Often if comes up with a cheaper price the first time yo look at a battery, as long as you leave the page open enough..You get a message like this: " We notice you have been looking at this article for a while, a one time offer if you buy now of..." and they quote a reduced price

Well i got the 16t on myself. It was a b!"#$ to get it off. Also got my LED headlight installed. It is just as bright as a motorcycle LOL. Funds are now tapped for the month. So won't be able to get the battery pack done until next month. Not sure if i want to build a battery pack or order one already built. But ive been throwing an idea back and forth with installing the batteries under the seat and putting a gas engine down where the battery pack is. In other words turn it into a hybrid. The only real issue i see is that having two throttles is going to be a PITA. Unless there is someway to do a combine a throttle.

More pics

Attachments

• 20130119_200054.jpg
    20130119_200054.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 7,608
  • 20130119_200150.jpg
    20130119_200150.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 7,608
  • 20130119_200014.jpg
    20130119_200014.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 7,608
  • 20130119_195938.jpg
    20130119_195938.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 7,609
  • 20130119_195927.jpg
    20130119_195927.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 7,608
So i looked at hobbyking. It looks like going with 2 10s long packs would work. And upgrade to 4 packs within a month. Whats up with the bms/charging setup being so expensive? Is there a cheaper way to balance charge these packs? Also what does the c rating mean?

These are the packs im looking at.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__17914__ZIPPY_Flightmax_4500mAh_10S1P_30C_Long_Lipo_Pack_USA_Warehouse_.html

Thanks for all the input guys. I really appriciate it!

C rate stands for capacity (c)(4.5) times the number(30). Capacity on the battery you showed is 4500 mah, which is 4.5ah. So 30x4.5=135amps that the battery can be discharged at. There is also a c rate for charging, on your battery that is 2c or 2x4.5=9 amps. If you use 2 battery's in parallel that will double the capacity and therefore the current.

Back