GNG jackshaft freewheel broken. EDIT:Rebuilt and repaired it

meelis11

100 W
Hi,
something happened to my freewheel - if motor turns, its center part turns with shaft but sprocket is not turning under load. It turns when rear wheel is lifted from ground.
Has anyone had similar problem? It started to slip when started from stop (did not give much throttle, was gentle start)
Is it fixable or where I can get replacement?

Meelis

Seems that I got it fixed. Center part (freewheel adapter?) was welded to freewheel but welding broke - so it turned around inside of freewheel but did not come out because of welding edge.

DSC_0759.jpg
DSC_0762.jpg
DSC_0765.jpg
DSC_0766.jpg

christerljung said:
Be carefull to lock the last ring when assembling. It want's to unscrew. Maybe locktite and a spotweld.
(got the spotweld on mine and it holds up fine for 100v 45amps, also the metal in the coggs must be of a nice quality beacuse there is almost no wear after 5 months of daily riding.
)
Yes I used superglue to fix it. I saw your post in GNG thread and that was reason to use glue just in case :)

speedmd said:
I would fill the crack with green loctite. It will keep it from rocking around and lock the pins also. Put a touch on the threads also. It will seep in and fill the crack with a hard plastic type material. Don't get it in the bearings.

Yes I locked pins with superglue. Descriptions are under each picture.

meelis11 said:
speedmd said:
I would fill the crack with green loctite. It will keep it from rocking around and lock the pins also. Put a touch on the threads also. It will seep in and fill the crack with a hard plastic type material. Don't get it in the bearings.

Yes I locked pins with superglue. Descriptions are under each picture.

Loctite and super glue are not the same thing. The loctite will seep into tiny voids and harden once it can no longer breath. Your crack most likely happened because of the void between the hub and freewheel behind the weld causing it to flex while rotating under load. Green loctite will fill this void and any other of up to .03 inches with good hard plastic adhesive type material. Super glues are good if the gaps are tight and you can assure you filled them. No comparison when filling porosities or this type of weld failure.

If it develops play, get your self some green #290, before it leaves you stranded again.

Back