LMX P2 : Freeride trials motorcycle frame development

Discussions related to motors other than hub motors.
This includes R/C motors, botttom bracket, roller and geared drives.
bzhwindtalker
1 MW
1 MW

Re: LMX P2 : Freeride trials motorcycle frame development

Post by bzhwindtalker » Apr 11, 2018 1:45 am

This bike will be Pedal+throttle, very well suited to USA market.
Yes frame kits would be an option, around end of 2018.

Adam

devo1223
10 W
10 W

Post by devo1223 » Apr 11, 2018 12:39 pm

I've been lurking this thread since its inception. The lmx 64 checks all the boxes for me. I'm always checking your FB page for new pics of it. Can't wait for the frame kit. Thun/TDCM or are you developing your own pas sensor? Last I spoke with Tangent Dave he hadn't found a pas sensor he really liked for his kits.
Vector lite
Mxus 3k turbo 3t in 17in moto rim

bzhwindtalker
1 MW
1 MW

Post by bzhwindtalker » Apr 12, 2018 12:35 am

We will be testing two models of torque sensors from bafang and senpu, Ive talked to Mr Thun on the phone and guys from NTCE (the sensors in thun BBs) but they are focused on mass production of 68mm BB sensors while we need 100mm BSA.

Pas only is never gonna work for such bikes, but tuning of torque sensor is gonna be tricky. Can't wait to try it to get this kind of super-human feeling you can get with a powerful pedal command ebike. Keep the throttle for situations where you are stuck in the wrong gear or can't pedal.

Allex
1 GW
1 GW

Post by Allex » Apr 12, 2018 1:30 am

I am currently using thun which have sensor on the left side of the crank and I can say that its nothing to have. You really need both sides to respond to have a good feeling of a super human.

madin88
100 MW
100 MW

Post by madin88 » Apr 12, 2018 2:36 am

bzhwindtalker wrote:
Apr 12, 2018 12:35 am
We will be testing two models of torque sensors from bafang and senpu, Ive talked to Mr Thun on the phone and guys from NTCE (the sensors in thun BBs) but they are focused on mass production of 68mm BB sensors while we need 100mm BSA.
Yes 100mm BB is indeed a problem. I would check for Fatbike BB, but it probabaly needs to be custom fabricated.
Allex wrote:
Apr 12, 2018 1:30 am
I am currently using thun which have sensor on the left side of the crank and I can say that its nothing to have. You really need both sides to respond to have a good feeling of a super human.
The responsivness of the NTCE sensors is a problem. On the one hand because of the torque measurement only from the left pedal and on the other hand because of the relative low pole count (signals per revolution).
But i must say torque assist works not bad after some crank revoltions (at least together with a CA).

There is a new torque sensor available from Sempu (T2.3 Version) which should bring us closer to the super human feel 8)
http://www.ebikes.ca/shop/electric-bicy ... u-140.html
It measures torque on both sides and has a 24 pole sin/cos signal. I will soon swap out the Thun sensor on my fathers 1500W pedelec for this one.

bzhwindtalker
1 MW
1 MW

Post by bzhwindtalker » Apr 12, 2018 5:03 am

The Sempu units we ordered should have 36 or 48 pulses per revolution. Bafang has 32 I think.
Also we should be able to tweak the behavior in controller programming to reach that superhuman feel.

Adam

madin88
100 MW
100 MW

Post by madin88 » Apr 12, 2018 5:50 am

The great thing about the Sempu T2.3 sensor is it doesn't need a sprocket carrier (or adapter) like the bafang does.
Which controller do you talking about, or do you mean the CA?

BleepToBleep
1 µW
1 µW

Post by BleepToBleep » Apr 12, 2018 4:27 pm

Hello Adam,
I'm new on this forum but I've followed your adventures and I admire your work and ambition, your bike looks really, really nice!! :)
I wanted to participate in the indiegogo campain but I just didn't have the funds at the time. Anyway, I just wanted to ask: since you now work on having the LMX-161 street legal, did you have to limit its power compared to the initial model? If yes, do you plan to sell 2 models in parallel: one street legal and one purely offroad?
Also I saw that some other ebikes use regenerative-braking, is this something you consider for the LMX in the future?

bzhwindtalker
1 MW
1 MW

Post by bzhwindtalker » Apr 13, 2018 2:22 am

We're not sure yet we will sell both models, easiest for us is to sell only the 161-h and let customers remove some of the parts they do not need for offroad use, but the demand for the offroad version is still high.
The power is not limited, only the top speed is.
We have auto regen on throttle off, but not a big amount as it is not ideal for riding behavior to have strong auto regen.
Best regards, Adam

brumbrum
100 kW
100 kW

Post by brumbrum » Apr 13, 2018 2:38 am

bzhwindtalker wrote:
Apr 13, 2018 2:22 am
We're not sure yet we will sell both models, easiest for us is to sell only the 161-h and let customers remove some of the parts they do not need for offroad use, but the demand for the offroad version is still high.
The power is not limited, only the top speed is.
We have auto regen on throttle off, but not a big amount as it is not ideal for riding behavior to have strong auto regen.
Best regards, Adam
With the kelly controller, is it not possible to use a SS49E hall sensor and magnet attached to a brake lever and get variable regen? I was hoping of setting this up on my 161 build. This is what i use on my adaptto controller.
Its basically works like a throttle, but instead of twisting the magnet position to change voltage signal, you pull the magnet away from the hall sensor when pulling the brake lever.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ym0afjek2LM[/youtube]

maitilupas
10 mW
10 mW

Post by maitilupas » Apr 21, 2018 7:47 pm

brumbrum wrote:
Apr 13, 2018 2:38 am

With the kelly controller, is it not possible to use a SS49E hall sensor and magnet attached to a brake lever and get variable regen? I was hoping of setting this up on my 161 build. This is what i use on my adaptto controller.
Its basically works like a throttle, but instead of twisting the magnet position to change voltage signal, you pull the magnet away from the hall sensor when pulling the brake lever.
think you can archive this using the brake analog function on the kelly
brake an ( 2)
and a 5v source

brumbrum
100 kW
100 kW

Post by brumbrum » Apr 22, 2018 3:08 am

maitilupas wrote:
Apr 21, 2018 7:47 pm
brumbrum wrote:
Apr 13, 2018 2:38 am

think you can archive this using the brake analog function on the kelly
brake an ( 2)
and a 5v source
Thanks, thats what i am hoping. I will be starting a build log soon with some video clips to show components and progress.

BCTECH
100 W
100 W

Post by BCTECH » Apr 24, 2018 10:54 am

finally got my hands on this
81 frame.jpg
81 frame.jpg (52.04 KiB) Viewed 9 times
hope to build a very light bike but powerful enough for short rides.

couple of questions before I start,
- is there any coating on the frame? can I powder coat the frame? or spray something to protect the aluminum
- from my reading here, KBS72181E,110A,24-72V is the best match for the 161, is it same for the 81 that has smaller motor?
- I plan to run single speed, what T do you recommended for pedaling speed of 5-10 miles only
- can I fit a 26x3 tire (duro wildlife ) to the rear rim?
- is there any issues using boxxer RC fork on this frame?

Also i wish to upgrade the motor but so far i can't find anything more powerful but narrow enough to fit, any suggestions are welcome.
thanks