Programming the Bafang Middrive BBS01+BBS02

Discussions related to motors other than hub motors.
This includes R/C motors, botttom bracket, roller and geared drives.
tomjasz   1.21 GW

1.21 GW

Re: Programming the Bafang Middrive BBS01+BBS02

Post by tomjasz » Jun 04 2017 12:46am

waynebergman wrote:Has anyone heard of any Mac based solutions for Programming our Bafang controllers? I was given a PC that I was only going to use for reprogramming my controller but that PC laptop just quit working. I really dont want to buy a PC just for this purpose if I can somehow use my Mac for the job. Also, I am not interested in running the virtual PC options on my Mac.

Ive been finally playing with a switcheroonie, very cool, can upload, download and store several versions.
Thanks Justin_le we're here thanks to you. All the best to the mods for their tireless work keeping it on an even keel.

JoeAverage   1 µW

1 µW

Post by JoeAverage » Jul 07 2017 12:55pm

FWIW It looks like I can use the BaFang config tool in free Mint Linux (Cinnamon and KDE desktops) with the free Wine emulator.

Will check soon - am waiting on a replacement battery charger.

That allows me to run my old netbook that someone gave me without looking for a Windows machine to use to program my BBSHD.

Thunderass   1 µW

1 µW

Post by Thunderass » Jan 12 2018 2:16pm

Hello everybody. i have bbs02b 750 watt motor. i want to make usb programmable cable. i bought PL2303 TTL USB converter.But my display connection tipe is HIGO-B3 (https://www.e-bike-technologies.de/inde ... -b3-detail this one it has 3 pins)i think it doesnt have pl p+ .Anyone knows about how must it be connect to cables?

tomjasz   1.21 GW

1.21 GW

Post by tomjasz » Jan 12 2018 2:24pm

Thunderass wrote:
Jan 12 2018 2:16pm
Hello everybody. i have bbs02b 750 watt motor. i want to make usb programmable cable. i bought PL2303 TTL USB converter.But my display connection tipe is HIGO-B3 (https://www.e-bike-technologies.de/inde ... -b3-detail this one it has 3 pins)i think it doesnt have pl p+ .Anyone knows about how must it be connect to cables?
Review this thread and post.
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewt ... 75#p915172
You should be connecting to the green Higo. To controller.
Thanks Justin_le we're here thanks to you. All the best to the mods for their tireless work keeping it on an even keel.

Thunderass   1 µW

1 µW

Post by Thunderass » Feb 03 2018 4:16pm

tomjasz wrote:
Jan 12 2018 2:24pm
Thunderass wrote:
Jan 12 2018 2:16pm
Review this thread and post.
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewt ... 75#p915172
You should be connecting to the green Higo. To controller.
Thanks for your helping.i succesfully plug with hand made cable to motor.
These are my settings.

i have questions if you help me i ll appreciate.
1-After flash these settings my throttle was limited by speed.(40 km/s)Before throttle doesnt have speed limit.And i didnt any backup before flashing:(
2-Sometimes if i pedalling to backward ,motor is shaking .Generally on low speeds.
How can i fix these.

i fixed...

espresso   10 mW

10 mW

Post by espresso » Mar 26 2018 12:36pm

teslanv wrote:
Apr 24 2014 9:39am
ziltoid81 wrote:
Got the same interface like yours, but still to dumb to get a connection......3 wires to the Interface (gnd, rx, tx), switched rx and tx, shortened pl and p+ on the controllerplug to the motor/controller.
Connect battery and hit the connect button.....the same happens every time.

Always get an "error opening serial port" either the cables are connected or not.
The interface is showing a red light all the time and when i disconned the battery from the motor, a blue led light up for 2-3seconds(on the interface).

I ordered another interface, but now i see yours the same....
You dont get all the actions to work, but at least you got a connection
Maybe i should solder my wiring again.
Dont know where to start again.....

Do i need to setup the interface via windows?
Just installed the driver for the interface and opened the bafang software.
The interface is properly listed, without any warnings, in the device manager.
You will need to enter the COMM port ID in the software. Look for the Breakout Board hardware in the "Ports" Section of the Device Manager. Mine Was identified as "COM7"

Then, in the controllerst software, type in COM7 (or whatever port yours is) - The software should then be able to communicate with your PC.

Click "Connect" and you should be up and running.
My experience is that it won't connect to any port other than Com 1-4.
If it tries to designate the programming cable to any other port, you have to change the number to 1-4 whichever one is free.

gbetous   1 µW

1 µW

Post by gbetous » Apr 24 2018 3:54pm

Hi everyone,

I read a lot on this valuable topic (but could not read all messages in detail, I must admit).

I am considering to program by myself my BBS02, but I'm quite surprised by one thing : in the different assist levels description, I can read "Asst1 Limit Current(%): 52/20/52/10/52 – Power cut based on road speed at power level 1."

Did anyone confirm that the parameter "Limit Current" is really a "road speed limit" ? This would mean that the parameter name is totally wrong...

Thank you very much for your help

alfantastic   10 kW

10 kW

Post by alfantastic » Apr 25 2018 6:31am

gbetous wrote:
Apr 24 2018 3:54pm
Hi everyone,

I read a lot on this valuable topic (but could not read all messages in detail, I must admit).

I am considering to program by myself my BBS02, but I'm quite surprised by one thing : in the different assist levels description, I can read "Asst1 Limit Current(%): 52/20/52/10/52 – Power cut based on road speed at power level 1."

Did anyone confirm that the parameter "Limit Current" is really a "road speed limit" ? This would mean that the parameter name is totally wrong...

Thank you very much for your help
No, the name and function of 'Limit Current(%)' is correct. On my BBS02, I have found the best settings for me are to set 'Limit Current(%)' all to 100% and I set the 'Limit Spd(%) to match the gear ratios of my cassette using 5 PAS levels. Therefore, I can go slowly up steep hills and across difficult terrain (PAS 1), but with maximum torque. I can also ramp up the speed and maintain that speed by selecting a higher PAS level (PAS 5)

Oh, and max the 'Keep Current(%)' to 100%, you'll get much better hill climbing performance.

cluletrecl   1 µW

1 µW

Post by cluletrecl » Apr 27 2018 9:04am

dunno if this is the right topic, but can i use the programming cable and software to program a frontwheel motor: BF FM G320.250 instead of the middrive BBS01 or BBS02 ?

any advice would be appreciated!

thx,

alfantastic   10 kW

10 kW

Post by alfantastic » Apr 28 2018 10:33am

cluletrecl wrote:
Apr 27 2018 9:04am
dunno if this is the right topic, but can i use the programming cable and software to program a frontwheel motor: BF FM G320.250 instead of the middrive BBS01 or BBS02 ?
The programming lead and software programs the controller, so the motor is less important. All the Bafang programming cables I've seen come with the green 5 pin Higo connector. Also, the programming software doesn't appear to be BBS01, BBS02 or BBSHD specific.

Therefore, If your controller happens to connect to the display using a green 5 pin Higo connector, then I see no reason why the controller can't be programmed in the same way as the BBSxx series.

cluletrecl   1 µW

1 µW

Post by cluletrecl » May 07 2018 8:52am

alfantastic wrote:
Apr 28 2018 10:33am
cluletrecl wrote:
Apr 27 2018 9:04am
The programming lead and software programs the controller, so the motor is less important. All the Bafang programming cables I've seen come with the green 5 pin Higo connector. Also, the programming software doesn't appear to be BBS01, BBS02 or BBSHD specific.

Therefore, If your controller happens to connect to the display using a green 5 pin Higo connector, then I see no reason why the controller can't be programmed in the same way as the BBSxx series.
after reading this positive news, so the other day i bought the cable online, Installed the drivers of the cable and the software, and it worked, I could connect the software with the controller, and change the parameters, i've tried to set it to 40 km/h, however it only could go 30km/h (gps speed tested), I tried a lot of parameters, but 30km/h was the limit (before it was 25km/h) , it seems like there is still some (hardware?) limit to 30 km/h. Next few days will try other settings.

The motor itself is rated 250W, i suppose it is nominal power, @30km/h it is consuming 200-280W, so guess there won't be any margin left to go faster than that (air resistance is quadratic to speed). But I'm okay with 30 km/h .

Paraphyte   1 µW

1 µW

Post by Paraphyte » May 14 2018 6:38pm

Thanks for the hard work the originals put in on this thread. Particularly Kepler, who's Strava records I'm now trying to break with his own settings. :lol:

Thought I'd share this;
I've started tweaking the settings, using Kepler's as a starting point.
Yesterday I found that by reducing the slow start mode from 6 to 4, resulted in being limited to a very low speed ~5kph (despite all my speed limits being set to 40kph).

Quite annoying since I'd changed a few other settings simultaneously, but by process of elimination it was this setting that was the culprit.
Haven't tried three or five because I needed the bike to work and didn't have time to play.

Also noticed that the controller didn't like the current limit set to 17. When I'd write these settings, and then read again, factory settings were restored every time. 16 and 18 worked fine for me.

Such a quirky thing! Will be changing one variable at a time from now on.
Cheers!

Bike_man   1 µW

1 µW

Post by Bike_man » Jun 29 2018 4:11am

I have a simpel Bafang "display" without lcd just led-lights showing assist level (DP E10.UART). I have 5 level of assist on the display, which level equals the 9 assist levels in the program? Is it possible to set the top level of assist to level 4 on the display and leave the level 5 to a "legal" assist level, maybe 50% assist?

jur   10 mW

10 mW

Wheel size in config file does not take

Post by jur » Jul 30 2018 12:41am

I have tried fruitlessly to set my wheel diameter to 19" in the cfg file but the firmware seems to ignore that cfg setting, using the display setting instead. The display setting jumps 2" which gives an up to 5% error which is my case.

Am I doing something wrong or is the config value always ignored?